Lending Money In The Philippines

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

For friends and relatives, I agree, if you lend money, consider it a gift as you will never see it again.If you do want to lend money, lend against jewellery, not an ATM card.I was part of a group of investors involved in payday lending. It finished about 6 montths ago. We didn't lend the money, front men did that for us. We were promised a 100% per annum return. I didn't beleive it and didn't get it but I did get about 40%, annualised. So I was happy.Regards: Jim

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Moalboring
Posted
Posted (edited)
I was part of a group of investors involved in payday lending. It finished about 6 montths ago.
It has finished for YOU. I am still in and waiting for my money to be paid back by xxxxxx, the organizer and your "frontman" Bill xxxxxx who has died in the meantime before paid out the biggest investors (and less close friends).A number of angry men now look at how much was it a ponzi scheme or real business. And xxxxx is hiding somewhere, allegedly in the USA but some folks don't believe that.Notice from the BossPlease do not use names of other forum owners in your post,most know who you are talking about but it is not considered to be the best practice of naming people in a public forum. Edited by Jollygoodfellow
removed names

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

While I respect what Jollygoodfellow sets as the rules for this forum, I will have to voice a dissenting opinion. I do understand that he likely does not want this to turn into a mud slinging contest where he has to referee without any real knowledge of the validity of the claims or denials. On the other hand, there are some quite amiable expats that have a patina of honesty and experience about them who prey on their fellow foreigners. They are truly slime balls. But since we cannot or should not name them, they continue to prey upon some people without much worry. So my advice is, don't invest in the Philippines. The better it sounds, the more likely the person advancing the idea is a total POS. Oh, they might be simply a dupe. I was one once, trying to tell my friends about where a great investment was, right up until I lost every penny involved. Now I know better. And I know not to trust some expats in the Philippines with 25 centavos piece. On the other hand, their are guys here I would trust with not only all my pennies but my life. I don't mean that expats are all untrustworthy. Some are honest to goodness gems in the rough.

• Like 4

dean01
Posted
Posted

Yes until it makes the news I would say keep it clean. I am sure it will not go away there are plenty out there who have contacts.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted
Some people hold on to the security until the debt is paid (like cell phone or motorcycle). What happens? the owner claims you have 'damaged' the security and insist you fix it before getting paid. Of course they put it up for security knowing it was already damaged and thinking they could con you into fixing it or giving it back without getting your money back. Its a headache.
To cut a long story short, the whole lending business just went belly up, when a series of borrowers, simply disappeared with their loans, leaving her with the bank books and useless ATM cards, never to be seen again ! That little episode cost us close to 250,000 PHP, so never again ! Never lend money period ! It just sets yourself up for a whole lot of stress, and no money !
WOW thanks for those experiences guys ...... sorry they turned out so bad ..... money lending is one of the things my asawa was looking at doing once I am gone ...... it would give her some extra income and something to do ...... but after reading about how insecure items put up as security are I hope she will change her mind ...... I never would have thought that about giving items like cell phones that don't work properly and gear that can't be checked .....Thanks for the heads-up
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

here is another reason NOT to get involved in money lending business

this man did and could not accept the losts $$$ he incurred

• Like 3