Lending Money In The Philippines

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Filipinos do not hold financial obligations as particularly important in regards to their everyday hierarchy of obligations . And certainly not to the same degree as someone from a first world culture where "credit" is an important part of acquiring things .

Just on that point, is there a credit rating system in the Philippines similar to western countries where there are databases of bad payers or bankrupt people?

• Like 2

retired
Posted
Posted
Filipinos do not hold financial obligations as particularly important in regards to their everyday hierarchy of obligations . And certainly not to the same degree as someone from a first world culture where "credit" is an important part of acquiring things .

Just on that point, is there a credit rating system in the Philippines similar to western countries where there are databases of bad payers or bankrupt people?

Not privy to what info banks have or other institutions but to my knowledge "no" this is not really a credit baesed culture . Have known expats with A1 credit ratings in first world countries that the bank wounldn't finance a vechicle loan for . This is a cash based culture and "land" is generally required for a loan . I do stand to be corrected on this issue if things have changed and i am simply not aware .

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

There is only a street level credit rating called tsismis (gossip) among the poor, where 5-6 loans are rampant.

I never dealt with any credit cards or local bank checks when I was there, but I would suspect if you have a

very bad credit in one region, simply go to another region to find a bank willing to give out loans or another

credit card to you. By the way, the law regarding fraudulent/bouncing checks is called estafa (Tagalog).

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I hear that Greg. I have also seen that money lenders not only take the vehicle and 'store' it but also use it on a daily basis as their own vehicle until the loan is paid. In some cases even renting it out. Not sure why that surprises me as land is also taken possession of when loaned against and the lender treats the land as his own, farms it, plants it, in some cases builds on it, and then expects the borrower to pay for 'improvements' if he takes the land back.

I don't know if it's a common demand in loan agreements, a law or just habbits,

but at loans, with land as security, many has said the loan giver has the RIGHT TO USE until the loan is (fully) paid back. The "KIND" ones let the owner use e g half if they has paid back half, and the "kind" ones let the owner get harvest sharing at his land, instead of employing some other...

So not so odd if they find it corect to have the right to use other things too.

So it seems it's common with such on top of the high interests...

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

This sounds more like large scale Pawn Brokering, To me, cars Land property etc: are offered as security not for the use of the lender, OK if the loan is not re payed. Then, it stands to reason, things are lost BUT only, to the value of the outstanding loan I am Sure, proper licensed Financial Institutions will not adopt the practice in the previous posts. use Mickey Mouse lenders, get problem treatment. IMHO

Maybe I need to burst this bubble :dance:

:tiphat:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I am Sure, proper licensed Financial Institutions will not adopt the practice in the previous posts. use Mickey Mouse lenders

While I am sure that some banks and financial institutions will loan money without the 'pawn shop' approach, I am also sure that most people living here (locals and foreigners) would have a hard time qualifying for a bank loan. I am additionally sure that proper licensed Financial institutions adopt the practice in previous posts and pay the BI about 30% of the gross profits when they do so. (Not banks but licensed money lenders and pawn brokers)

You can burst the bubble by showing me where I can get a loan against my car or property without adopting the practice in the previous posts. (Not buy and finance another car or property but get a loan on my current car or property). I am not making a serious request as I know I just do not qualify so I would, if I needed money, have to resort to the practices in previous posts.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
For Only 10% Monthly Interest

(My coloring). Quoted from an ad from a Pawn Shop specialiced in motorbikes :)

This sounds more like large scale Pawn Brokering, To me, cars Land property etc: are offered as security not for the use of the lender, OK if the loan is not re payed. Then, it stands to reason, things are lost BUT only, to the value of the outstanding loan I am Sure, proper licensed Financial Institutions will not adopt the practice in the previous posts. use Mickey Mouse lenders, get problem treatment. IMHO

Maybe I need to burst this bubble :dance:

Yes, loans to BUY the thing/land (=loan taker use it)

are other than

loans with it as SECURITY (=often loan giver use it).

• Like 1

MikeeW
Posted
Posted

Kudos to member - retired- for his comments about the attitude toward money, debt and all that connects to. I hope members who want to consider borrowing or loaning money will become sensitized to the attitudes he describes. It has been my experience that there simply is no comparison between any other culture when it comes to personal finance.

I am tempted to go on with many stories, all within my own experience, related to money issues. Suffice to say, it is not a good plan to loan or borrow here. My experiences range from bank auto loans, "prenda" (a loan with harvest as the interest paid), pay advances, "utang" (credit) at the sari sari store, emergency loans for medical problems, loans for setting up a business, and the list goes on. It has amazed me the variety of ways people get screwed and screw each other with money as the lubricant.

In our family, we have a simple policy and it has worked for a long while. When someone wants to borrow money, my wife simply says "ask my husband". It has spared her the grief of having continual requests, once the word got out. We regularly do give money to family members in need, as loans. A couple of simple conditions, and they have always been met. The loan is interest free. Tell us when you will pay and pay it as you said. If not, don't ask again.

The only debt which s still owed to us is one of a relative who runs a long- standing sari sari. They had borrowed, paid, borrowed paid, borrowed and then didn't pay. Didn't pay. Didn't pay. This went on for a long while. This happened when we first lived here and we had not been burned yet. It became obvious the debt was not going to be paid. We figured this out when we were buying pig food from a merchant. We always pay cash, and as we discussed the terms, he inquired about my wife's relatives ( all conversations end up this way). This led to his discovery of her connection to the deadbeat relatives. He vented, telling us just how much he owed and to how many other merchants he was in debt.

We bought land and a house in a village close by several years ago. The deal was simple. We pay so much, but keep a certain amount held back until the title has been clearly presented to us. The family we bought from agreed and they took the larger payment and were quite happy. There were five siblings who shared the payment. Months became years and little progress on the process of getting the title. In fact, we even paid 50,000 pesos to the local captain to assist (that was a mistake as well).

This was 11 years ago. As of now, we have title to half the land. We do own half, clearly. This is because we processed a claim for part of the land which was actually not owned by the family ( had been a Highway right of way and we were able to get it from the government).

On one occasion, one of the siblings came to us and asked for their "share" of the amount we owed. They had a sick relative and needed the money. Sorry. If I give to one, then another and finally all five have the "share" where is the incentive?

Sorry for long story. Just wanted to point out that financial dealings he can be a complex and never- ending hassle.

There are many other ways of making investments and reaping the rewards. We operate a small bakery and this provides steady income to around fourteen people, bakers, helpers and delivery guys.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
I am Sure, proper licensed Financial Institutions will not adopt the practice in the previous posts. use Mickey Mouse lenders

While I am sure that some banks and financial institutions will loan money without the 'pawn shop' approach, I am also sure that most people living here (locals and foreigners) would have a hard time qualifying for a bank loan. I am additionally sure that proper licensed Financial institutions adopt the practice in previous posts and pay the BI about 30% of the gross profits when they do so. (Not banks but licensed money lenders and pawn brokers)

You can burst the bubble by showing me where I can get a loan against my car or property without adopting the practice in the previous posts. (Not buy and finance another car or property but get a loan on my current car or property). I am not making a serious request as I know I just do not qualify so I would, if I needed money, have to resort to the practices in previous posts.

Then, Thank goodness, I don't need to borrow money, I would hate to wake up and find a Money Lender had moved in to my guest room, worse still, all our things moved in to it.

The bubble I refer too Dave, is the one I am obviously living in, as I still, would like to think, there is some decency left, even here, I understand what you have said and Mikee's post, has elaborated, as said before, we all live and learn more each day, Was it our forefathers who said, never a lender or a borrower be. ( can't remember the rest. Guess someone will complete it?)

• Like 1