Cebu City, Aussie Injured His Right Legs

Bundy
Posted
Posted

"How come the locals walk around those areas all the time and do not fall in?" Well...... they do! My wife told me that long before we were married she fell down one of those holes while walking with her sister.They were on their way to visit friends at Mabolo when it happened and she was very angry because as well as injuring an ankle, she was wearing a new pair of white jeans!As for this guy, i say good on ya for having the balls to do something about it.Not that it will achieve anything mind you. If he pushes the point too far he might find a case against him for bringing the name of the city into disrepute!

• Like 2

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
I don't know why the locals don't fall in the holes, perhaps they do but it's not newsworthy. Have you spent a lot of time walking in Carbon? If not, how would you know what the conditions of the streets are? Mr Carlson is 69, perhaps he's too old to be walking the streets at all? The fact is, the sidewalks (when there are any) in the country are, for the most part, sadly lacking and in many cases dangerous and the mayor's comments are deplorable, even if made "in jest". About a month ago, a police commander riding a motorcycle on duty was killed when he ran into an unmarked construction barricade at night by SM. The mayor's office then announced an investigation into why it happened, in effect locking the barn door after. Mr Carlson deserves kudos and thanks for having the guts to speak the truth and do the right thing.
Yes I walked around that area quite a bit and always take visitors there if they want to see the street shopping but I do not walk around that area at night because I know of the bad sidewalks and crime in that area (the accident happened at 11 AM). Magellan's cross is there and most visitors wish to see it, so yes my wife and I have been down there quite often and in many of my posts I have warned visitors to look out for the open holes in the sidewalk. Added, which BTW are all over Cebu and other areas of the Philippines. Maybe we all need to start complaining to the president. :no:In Tom's case we walked around quite a few streets and I made him aware of open holes ahead of time. My point is simple, the Philippines is a third world country and with living or visiting a third world country, comes these types of problems. While some may think it is admirable to point out these issues to government officials, do any of you actually believe those same government officials do not know they exist, since those problems have been there as long as I have been visiting the Philippines, and I am sure many years before I arrived. They know the problems exist and there is a right way and a wrong way to bring things to officials attention, politely. A person gets more with sugar than they do with vinegar and I find that saying especially true while in the Philippines. In CDO the street awnings are too low for my head, should I complain that they all need to be made higher because I might bunk my head, yeah that would go over big and I am sure they would make a new law that awnings need to be higher off the ground just for those of us who are taller. :no:If any of us wishes to bring about change in the Philippines, it must be done with courtesy and done politely since there is a known face issue and a known issue that higher ups do not wish to be told what they should or should not do by foreigners, that is how it is, like it or not.In the past I have called the mayors office to make them aware of dangerous things such as street lights which were always out, I did so by telling the mayors assistant that I would just like to make them aware of the light being out and that I have seen a number of close calls that could have been serious accidents.Those of you who wish to keep complaining loudly, have at it but I have found that you will get much better results by doing it nicely, and if you really think the upper class of the Philippines give a toot about the average Filipino or us, keep on dreaming. Edited by Mr. Lee
  • Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
I might be way off base here, not having become and official expat yet, but having visited our Baragay many times as well as many many third, forth and fifth world countries. As in the Philippines and in other countries I have seen things that I do not agree with, upset me or just plain disgust me. (using your left hand and water instead of toilet paper- Iraq, Slapping a subordinate when displeased-Korea, Making women walk behind you-Kuwait, Not coming to the aid of an accedent victim-Ukraine, Treating strangers with cold contempt-Germany the list goes on) Instead of complaining or insulting my host nation in a verbal manner, I prefer practice what I was taught as a young man "Lead by Example" If i have an empty platic soda bag bought from a Sari-Sari store, instead of throwing it in the gutter like a lot of people, ill put it in my pocket until i see a trash box. Or who knows if i see a man hole cover removed I might just take a minute of my precious time and replace it.
Hey soldier,It's always an inspiration to hear that men and women in military uniform act and teach their subordinates how to behave like a good US ambassador.I salute you sir -- Jake

MikeB
Posted
Posted
If any of us wishes to bring about change in the Philippines, it must be done with courtesy and done politely since there is a known face issue and a known issue that higher ups do not wish to be told what they should or should not do by foreigners, that is how it is, like it or not.In the past I have called the mayors office to make them aware of dangerous things such as street lights which were always out, I did so by telling the mayors assistant that I would just like to make them aware of the light being out and that I have seen a number of close calls that could have been serious accidents.Those of you who wish to keep complaining loudly, have at it but I have found that you will get much better results by doing it nicely, and if you really think the upper class of the Philippines give a toot about the average Filipino or us, keep on dreaming.
I am aware of the status of the country and my own niche in Filipino society. The police "investigation" into my near-fatal, hit and run accident told me exactly where I fit in. Right on the same level as a stray dog.In this guy's case he didn't waste time phoning the mayor's office, he went directly to the mayor's office and, purposely or not, got the press involved. The mayor is a politician, he loves publicity as they all do. Hardly a day goes by that his picture is not on the front page of the paper. Maybe this is the kind of thing that will actually get something done but much more likely not. Rather then ridicule him as being an old, complaining drunk I applaud the "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore" effort and I wonder if you or anyone saying this is the way it is, accept it or leave would be as understanding if your loved one were killed or seriously injured by negligence.
  • Like 3

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

The whole of Downtown is an obsticle course. I am not surprised he found an open manhole but how would you not see an open manhole before walking into it?I have been walking around Downtown at all hours of the night and day, off and on for 16 years. I have not even stubbed my toe.Regards; Jim

• Like 1

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
The whole of Downtown is an obsticle course. I am not surprised he found an open manhole but how would you not see an open manhole before walking into it?I have been walking around Downtown at all hours of the night and day, off and on for 16 years. I have not even stubbed my toe.Regards; Jim
Exactly!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Lets get the story straight or as straight as the media tells it,nothing to do with an open man hole in this case.

AN Australian national lambasted the Philippine Government and its poor infrastructure after he fell into a ditch in Carbon Public Market in Cebu City.The ditch was covered with uneven and movable footpaths, and George Sydney Carlsen, a 69-year-old retired miner, had the misfortune of stepping on them, falling feet first into the ditch.
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2011/12/22/aussie-falls-ditch-hits-phl-gov-t-over-neglect-197046

Jake
Posted
Posted

From one of the local response is from Roberto Cabarrubias, who claims he works at Cebu City Hall:I appreciate this Aussie man who falls in a ditch. I think there are a lot of people fall also in a ditch around cebu city, I think he is only the one who has courage to do so. Me too I was one of the victim when I was a barangay captain I did complain and right away they cover the hole. Being in the City Government, this is an eye opener for us. Rest assured, I will do something about this issue.Hopefully, they will take care of many other pedestrian hazards around the city before the big fiesta.

• Like 2

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
From one of the local response is from Roberto Cabarrubias, who claims he works at Cebu City Hall:I appreciate this Aussie man who falls in a ditch. I think there are a lot of people fall also in a ditch around cebu city, I think he is only the one who has courage to do so. Me too I was one of the victim when I was a barangay captain I did complain and right away they cover the hole. Being in the City Government, this is an eye opener for us. Rest assured, I will do something about this issue.Hopefully, they will take care of many other pedestrian hazards around the city before the big fiesta.
:unsure: Not likely. I have seen the same holes open for many years now and in many parts of the city. It would be hard for me to believe that no one has told them about them before. In CDO the same holes have been there for over 17 years and the sidewalks are broken and uneven for all that time. The only thing that changes in most parts of the Philippines is time.