Aussie Lingo Translation Please....

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Below is a short bit out of an article on cracks found in the big Air Bus planes. I do not understand the time frame. Is the guy talking about a 'quarterly inspection' which is 4 times a year in Kano english... or is he talking about an inspection every 4 years? 'We can't continue to gamble with people's lives and allow those aircraft to fly around and hope that they make it until their four-yearly inspection,' said Steve Purvinas, secretary of the Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers AssociationRead more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2084242/Airbus-A380-Worlds-biggest-planes-sky-worthy-say-engineers.html#ixzz1izu7IgXdPoor Quantas is taking a real beating in the past year or so... and those little bears are so cute? What do they taste like?.... Chicken???

volstateguy
Posted
Posted

The caption under the first photo of that article implies that the next inspection is in four years. However a quarterly or four year inspection doesn't make sense to me. Aviation inspections are normally based on airframe hours.

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well, according to my Filipino Inglesh, quarterly inspection within the year is every 3 months.But who the hell is counting.....he, he. Anyways, the micro cracks were discovered when oneof the engines blew out:

Qantas separately said that 'minuscule cracking' was found in the wing ribs of the Qantas A380 being

repaired in Singapore after one of its Rolls-Royce Trent 900 engines suffered a mid-air blowout in 2010.

Perhaps the engines themselves need to be PM check on a monthly basis or as Volstateguy implies,airframe hours of cycles (landing-takeoffs).

Edited by JAKE
correk my spilling

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Plain as day to me............they get inspected once every four years.But then i'm a banana bender so what do i know?What little bears are you talking about?

volstateguy
Posted
Posted
Plain as day to me............they get inspected once every four years.But then i'm a banana bender so what do i know?What little bears are you talking about?
If I were to guess I would say koala bears....but if I remember correctly Quantas has a roo on their tails not koalas.

Bruce
Posted
Posted
If I were to guess I would say koala bears....but if I remember correctly Quantas has a roo on their tails not koalas.
Here in the US, they use a koala bear in their ads.

volstateguy
Posted
Posted
Here in the US, they use a koala bear in their ads.
Oh yeah that's right. I remember that now that you mention it.

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Now.... If I can't understand 'four-yearly inspection'... how do you expect me to understand what a "banana bender" is? Crikey! If you believe the Out Back ads here in the US, the Aussie word for beer is Foster's!

Candyman
Posted
Posted
Now.... If I can't understand 'four-yearly inspection'... how do you expect me to understand what a "banana bender" is? Crikey! If you believe the Out Back ads here in the US, the Aussie word for beer is Foster's!
Funny ! But not many Aussies i know actually drink Fosters ! Four Yearly to me, means once every four years. Quarterly means once every 3 months ! The whole story seems a bit ambiguous to me !

Bundy
Posted
Posted (edited)
Education time,Ok............Banana bender.............. refers to a person from Queensland.Fosters?............geez what's that..........well i seen those big Fosters signs on the telly while i'm watchin the F1 GP and sometimes on the MotoGP, but i honestly don't know anyone who actually drinks the stuff, that's a "mexican" beer, Oh sorry, "mexican"........ south of the border or someone who comes from Victoria.Now, as far as i know,Qantas has always had a Roo on the tail of all the planes..............the flying Kangaroo. And Koalas........ geez mate ya don't eat them little buggers.Roos on the other hand, where i come from are nuthin more than a pest and yeah they can and have ended up on more than a few dinner plates.Once upon a time there was a persistent rumour that we were puttin roo meat in our meat pies............dunno if that was true but i do know we were exporting roo meat to Japan coz they thought it was a delicacy. :13_4_10[1]: Edited by Bundy
  • Like 2