Aussie Lingo Translation Please....

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Now.... If I can't understand 'four-yearly inspection'... how do you expect me to understand what a "banana bender" is? Crikey! If you believe the Out Back ads here in the US, the Aussie word for beer is Foster's!
Funny ! But not many Aussies i know actually drink Fosters ! Four Yearly to me, means once every four years. Quarterly means once every 3 months ! The whole story seems a bit ambiguous to me !
In American English... it who have been written as a four year inspection, not yearly. So far no answer about what the Koala bear tastes like! heheheheAbout 10 years ago, I was touring the huge aquarium in Baltimore and they had a few endangered things there like a manatee and some special whale. I stopped in the gift shop and asked if they had a special receipe cook book for the whales... The woman said she did not know but would ask her manager.... and she did.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

A Koala bear is a protected species,we dont eat them. Kangaroo is a high protein low fat meat,they are a pest because they breed continually,so they over populate and eat all the farmers grass for live stock.Fosters was launched to the world market some time back but no where as near as popular as it once was in Australia or at least down south where I once came from.As Bundy said, banana bender refers to some one that lives in Queensland and the reason is that is where our bananas are grown.South Australians are known as crow eater, figure it out.

• Like 1

Garpo
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the translation but it would really help me if you could get Olivia Newton or Nicole to do the translation to me. I always pay more attention to them!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Just to add since we are talking about translations.In Australia we do not walk on the side walk but we will use a footpath.We never use a Cell phone but you can reach us on our mobile. :thumbsup:

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Since we're on the subject, here's some more.Yank to Aussie translations.Soda or Pop...............................................................Soft drink, ie Coke, Pepsi etc etcKetchup......................................................................Tomato sauceFrench Fries...............................................................ChipsBell Pepper.................................................................CapsicumCrib.............................................................................CotDiaper.........................................................................NappyDrugstore....................................................................ChemistTrunk (car trunk).........................................................BootCandy..........................................................................Lollies7-Up............................................................................LemonadeSausages....................................................................SnagsAfternoon....................................................................ArvoHood (car hood)..........................................................BonnetFaucet........................................................................TapLiquor store.................................................................Bottle-OChicken.......................................................................ChookGas station..................................................................Serv-OSwim Suit.....................................................................CossieCase of Beer...............................................................SlabSmall Bottle of Beer.....................................................StubbyStroller.........................................................................PramGas..............................................................................PetrolMosquito......................................................................MozzieCookie.........................................................................BickkieFlip Flops....................................................................ThongsThere must be hundreds more, and then ofcourse we can get into the slang words. The words Bastard, Bugger, Bloody are used ALLthe time here and are not considered offensive.Av a good one all youz blokes. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

But you do say "shrimp on the barbie", right? I saw it in the movies, must be so.

Candyman
Posted
Posted
But you do say "shrimp on the barbie", right? I saw it in the movies, must be so.
No. No one says 'shrimp'. It is prawn, as in "don't come the raw prawn" !
  • Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

G'day to the blokes from the land of Down Under. You know, I found it so intriguing studying Australian

slang these past few days. I know I can never be a fair dinkum Aussie but hopefully will not stand out

like a dog's balls as being a bloody dip stick. I could just imagine my first day as a reffo from Philippines,

trying to hook up with a nice Filipina spunk. I would be fascinated with her Australian accent, probably

crack a fat instantly. But my old fella would be like a bondi cigar because I had too much piss.

Oh well, I'll just have a naughty by myself again.....he, he.

Wanna be Australian DOM -- Jake

Edited by Jake
chek spilling
  • Like 2

Bundy
Posted
Posted (edited)
G'day to the blokes from the land of Down Under. You know, I found it so intriguing studying Australian slang thesepast few days. I know I can never be a fair dinkum Aussie but hopefully will not stand out like a dog's balls as beinga bloody dip stick. I could just imagine my first day as a reffo from the Philippines, trying to hook up with a nice Filipina spunk. I wouldbe fascinated with her Australian accent, probably crack a fat instantly. But my old fella would be like a bondi cigarbecause I had too much piss. Oh well, I'll just have a naughty by myself again.....he, he.Wanna be Australian DOM -- Jake
You keep talkin like that fella and i'm gunna make you an honarary Aussie! Hey Jake, we've been married for just past 8 years now and my asawa now speaks like a dinki di Aussie! Yeah yeah i know............. that's my fault! Edited by Bundy
  • Like 1