Not Working

i am bob
Posted
Posted
.......Well, actually, there is this one thing I still want to do after.........
Pray tell, I wonder what that could be?? It's too early in the morning to get me all wet with curiosity!DOM forever -- Jake
Ok, that too! :thumbsup:The other would be to start writing a book... Don't have to finish but just to start...!

ozbuckley
Posted
Posted

Im not retired, no where near it actually... but i am in a position at the moment of having enough passive income to get me by as Ive traveled around the last few months.You gotta ask the question 'was my job work?'... because for some people work is not "work", its more PLAY. Why? Because they LOVE what they do, they're passionate about it, it drives them, gives their life meaning. For some its owning a business, for others its just making money and living the good life, for others its owning a non profit business to help the poor or disadvantaged, etc etc.For these people, their work ("play") isn't a HAVE TO, its a GET TO. They love what they do and do what they love. How could you ever call that work?In all jobs I feel there are positives aspects to it...even if you hate the job. Maybe it demanded you to be disciplined or think creatively or problem solve or resolve conflict. Then you quit the job, and work, for good and these qualities in you begin to weaken or are lost. Use or lose it.So we all need to grow. Find new hobbies. Find things that push our comfort zones. Live on our on edge of discomfort... thats where we feel alive and grow.Quitting a job or career leaves hole for a well. The question is what are you going to fill that well with?

• Like 5

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

me after 28 years of military service, i am ready, (this coming sept) as other have said i will miss the day to day interaction with my troops. the give and take, playing the dozens with men i have seen combat with. but like most other jobs, the military is not the same as it was when i was young. the joy of day to day buisness is frustrating and i dread walking in in the morning.So i guess ill make up the missing interaction by messing with jakes mind once i retire :tiphat:

• Like 4

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Quitting a job or career leaves a hole for a well. The question is what are you going to fill that well with?With some more a__holes that the other smart guys left behind! Find things that push our comfort zones. Live on our on edge of discomfort... thats where we feel alive and grow.Not my thing to push my comfort zone in order to live with discomfort! I already feel alive and well just being retired and enjoying the pursuit of happiness as I define what happiness is my way! Others, just enjoy working the rest of their lives! That's not for me, because there's just too many a__holes in this world to bump into! We don't need to live on the edge of discomfort to feel alive and grow, been there and done that and now it's time to kick back and enjoy the fruits of our labor!

Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 1

KanoJoe
Posted
Posted

I am able to retire at any time as I have a pension and investments to afford a good standard of living no matter where I want to go... When I start to receive SS in a few years, it will just be gravy... I actually did a mini-retirement last year and spent some time in Costa Rica, then Colombia, but became bored to death... The first few weeks was miserable as I was accustomed to work 10 - 12 hours a day and had all the free time in the world to do as I pleased... I guess I just wasn't ready as I returned to the US and took a 1 year contract in my field...As far as where I want to spend my retirement, that's not an easy question... I have a bit of wanderlust in my blood and enjoy traveling, meeting new people and experiencing cultures... Once I do pull the plug, I will most likely just go on a walkabout until I find that place that I can call home... I will spend time in the PI, along with Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, Viet Nam, etc... My only real concern is that I have two dogs that are my family... Traveling with pets, as I have found, puts a real crimp in a persons freedom to come and go as you please... One option is to setup a household somewhere and to hire a housekeeper to live in the house and look after my pets when I go walkabout... I won't be getting married again, no matter how attractive the lady or arrangement... Not for me Ronnie...

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I'm a bit worried about not working but I am sure I can overcome it. Similar to Scott, I have been with the same company for 28 years. In my case, I was passionate for my work for about 25 years but the company went south as far being a good place to work, and I no longer enjoy working there. At my age, 55, with my background, I can't see a good possibility to get a comparable paying job in a US city I would want to live in, and I can't imagine slaving away for another 10 years in order to be able to afford a "decent" retirement in one of the lower cost US cities. I have sufficient resources for early retirement in Phils, so I am retiring his year.Luckily my health is good. I will probably take up golf again, try to SCUBA dive as much as possible, play tennis, travel within my budget, and enjoy my new family. My girlfriend and I might consider a small business much later, but that is an outside chance and I would not want it to be anything that would require a lot of our time to be there physically.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I am able to retire at any time as I have a pension and investments to afford a good standard of living no matter where I want to go... When I start to receive SS in a few years, it will just be gravy... I actually did a mini-retirement last year and spent some time in Costa Rica, then Colombia, but became bored to death... The first few weeks was miserable as I was accustomed to work 10 - 12 hours a day and had all the free time in the world to do as I pleased... I guess I just wasn't ready as I returned to the US and took a 1 year contract in my field...As far as where I want to spend my retirement, that's not an easy question... I have a bit of wanderlust in my blood and enjoy traveling, meeting new people and experiencing cultures... Once I do pull the plug, I will most likely just go on a walkabout until I find that place that I can call home... I will spend time in the PI, along with Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, Viet Nam, etc... My only real concern is that I have two dogs that are my family... Traveling with pets, as I have found, puts a real crimp in a persons freedom to come and go as you please... One option is to setup a household somewhere and to hire a housekeeper to live in the house and look after my pets when I go walkabout... I won't be getting married again, no matter how attractive the lady or arrangement... Not for me Ronnie...
I also planned to spend a lot of my time traveling, to the countries you mentioned but also throughout the Philippines. But I have the same issue, we have a kitten that's about 3 months old and it's tough leaving her because she's at the age where she can destroy things. Pets are a big responsibility.

volstateguy
Posted
Posted

I surpassed 20 years active Air Force this month, but I don't plan to retire for 1 or 2 more years. It depends how much longer I wanna keep putting up with all the bs. I remember this being a lot more fun in the 90s, perhaps that's because I was younger or maybe because of all the extra responsibilities that can with promotion. Scott you have all my respect for sticking it out for 28 years. As do you Jake and Art. Military service brings lots of sacrifices, but also lots of great memories.Anyway back to the topic...once I retire I'm gonna enjoy doing what I want to do, and I'm gonna enjoy having a simple life. So no, I'm not gonna miss work at all. I plan to live on my military pension and just enjoy life. I can't wait.

• Like 2

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Up at 4.00am and out to the farm in pouring rain.Walking through all the mud and slosh picking squash with a tear in my achilles tendon (which i've had for 18 months now but can't stop working so just put up with it) pulling the truck and tractor through the bog. Being covered in dirt and sh&t lifting plastic. Putting up with people constantly whinging and complaining, watching the market prices crash every time i got a good crop, being wiped out by floods,planting 5 acres and then watching the wind rip the seedlings out of the ground.Having a whole block ready for picking in perfect weather and then lose the lot to whitefly in a matter of days.Having backpackers who walk all over the plants i could go on and on and on.........................You think i'm gonna miss this?????? :wt-hell: :as-if: :hystery: :wt-hell: :tiphat: :kidding: :dreams:

• Like 5

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
....on and on and on.........................You think i'm gonna miss this?????? :wt-hell: :as-if: :hystery: :wt-hell: :tiphat: :kidding: :dreams:
Oh, I thought that WAS your retirement job. I was going to say that is a busy retirement! . :lol:I don't think I will miss working. I've always thought I was above working anyway (no delusions of grandeur here). But I will miss the guys at the shop and all the fun we had. But I can always make new friends if I move to Cebu and still have fun. Make some new memories.