Not Working

Bundy
Posted
Posted
....on and on and on.........................You think i'm gonna miss this?????? :wt-hell: :as-if: :hystery: :wt-hell: :tiphat: :dreams: :dreams:
Oh, I thought that WAS your retirement job. I was going to say that is a busy retirement! . :lol:I don't think I will miss working. I've always thought I was above working anyway (no delusions of grandeur here). But I will miss the guys at the shop and all the fun we had. But I can always make new friends if I move to Cebu and still have fun. Make some new memories.
A few people have told me i should consider farming in Cebu. Well, i'm pretty handy with a "New Holland" or a "John Deere" but i don't think i'd be too productive using one of those four legged Philippine tractors :kidding: :wt-hell:
  • Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
The down side you retired guys suffer is the hours. 24-7! :tiphat:
Well, we may be retired but still active.....he, he. Of course my little Herman needs some physicalmotivation -- got to whip the damn thing into action from time to time. But no more 24-7. Need mysenior citizen afternoon nap after some afternoon delight....he, he.Working it -- Jake

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Do I miss having to working ..... nope ...... do I miss the problem solving and challenges ...... sometimes (but then I wake up) ..... do I miss all the aggravation and having to watch your back constantly to keep the back biters and ladder climbers from taking your job ..... hell no ..... I was a Environmental Services Director in hospital setting for 17 years and loved it until the day came when I no longer could teat my employees as individuals but had to go strictly by the book .... which took away from being able to manage people and turned into being able to read a book ...... hell a monkey could manage people that way :bash: ...... last 12 years saw me as a industrial mechanical engineering supervisor for a huge manufacturing plant only to constantly face the battle of some ass-hole trying to take my job ...... no thanks .... I'll take retirement any day ..... I get up when I want .... go to bed when I want ..... (hey Jake love those afternoon naps too .... great ain't they ..... :tiphat: ) ..... do what I want when I want ...... hummmmmm ... did I already say that ..... :hystery: But I guess some people want to keep working ..... the production manager where I worked was forced to retire just 3 months before I retired ..... he had been with the company for 45 years ..... in fact it was only the 2nd job he ever had ..... one month after he left he want to work in a fabrication shop that we used occasionally right across the street from the plant ..... his job ..... sweeping the floors and cleaning up .... he was 68 and could not leave behind his old job ..... this way here he could still go to the same place (across the street) everyday and still see and feel like he was part of the plant ...... oh and while employed at the plant he worked from 4:00am till after 6:00pm 6 days a week and sometimes on Sunday ..... and the poor guy was salaried ...... did he have to work after retirement ..... no he owned 2 condo's on a golf course and had well over 2 million in stocks and bonds plus his SS ..... and his wife was a nurse practitioner ...... we always said if he had to stay home he would die

• Like 2

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Work, can kill anybody due to extreme physical and mental stresses! I know that for a fact because long ago I went to 4 funerals within a month of each other of guys only in their 40s and 50s just keeling over one day and that was the end of their lives and I don't believe it was coincidence either, because all 4 died of the same causes of a brain hemerage of sorts or stroke! That's why I feel very fortunate that I was able to retire at age 49 and now enjoy my peace and quiet 24/7 away from the human rat race! No more stress working for all of the a__holes of the world and there's plenty of them out there, because there's just no way in avoiding them unless you're your own boss of an a__hole too!

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
But I guess some people want to keep working
This reminds me of a handful of movies. Most of us have seen one or more. I mean the ones where a guy spends 40 years in jail, gets paroled, then goes out and commits a crime to get back inside.But I know the type of guy you mean. We had them at my job. Forced to retire at 65 after 45 years of service and they go get an identical job that does not discriminate against age and work until their health forces them to quit. I have a healthy respect for that work ethic but it sure ain't me.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Nice Dave!Once I was finished with my training and hit my first Air Base full time, I used to watch the old guys retire. And you ALWAYS went to their retirement party because the odds were that was the last time you would see them alive. These poor saps were putting their entire lives into defending their country and for right vs wrong and then dying weeks - sometimes days and even hours - after they were retired! After one old guy I was close to passed away during the night after his last day at work... That was my wake-up call! I was on a contract for 20 years and that was all I was going to do! And sure enough I didn't even do that! I was approaching 17 years in when my trade was offered the chance to retire early... I jumped at it and for good reason! The benefits were great, I could sneak another year onto my pension for free and, most importantly, I knew I was going to be released under a medical discharge within the next year or so... Hey! I was not going to drop like so many others I knew!!! And thus my first retirement... !

• Like 2

bows00
Posted
Posted

This is something I never think about. And I don't think I will miss work at all, but you never know. But there are two thing this thread has confirmed for me. 1) Stay healthy and active. Get your share of exercise everyday because without your health, nothing else really matters, and 2) Don't get pets!

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted
This is something I never think about. And I don't think I will miss work at all, but you never know. But there are two thing this thread has confirmed for me. 1) Stay healthy and active. Get your share of exercise everyday because without your health, nothing else really matters, and 2) Don't get pets!
Ah, we all need a pet.... Cute little pet with nice dark eyes and soft soft hair and... :hystery:
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Ah, we all need a pet.... Cute little pet with nice dark eyes and soft soft hair and... :hystery:
And a...... nice tail?
  • Like 1