Future Of The Philippines...

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

​In the 45 years I've been in and out of the Philippines, I can definitely say it has improved in a lot of ways! 1. Their economy seats on the plane got more comfortable and the food not as bland, but sometimes the smell throughout the cabin was in question! Was that double dead mystery meat of the day? 2. There are more gas stations on the freeways with clean bathrooms and if you are lucky, they even have toilet paper!3. Internet service has improved 100%, but still shy from what other countries have! 4. Political civil unrest has toned down a bit, but the Philippine Government still has a long way to go to reduce poverty! 5. Roads, highways, bridges and infrastructures has improved some what, but still lacking in a lot of the poor provinces!6. The housing market is well and flourishing, but getting expensive every year, because Filipinos think all foreigners are rich, some are though!Well, I'll stop here for now since I've developed a case of the brain farts! So, the future of the Philippines don't look too bad, for now that is and it's JMHO from my personal experiences over the years!

Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 3

bows00
Posted
Posted
​In the 45 years I've been in and out of the Philippines, I can definitely say it has improved in a lot of ways! 1. Their economy seats on the plane got more comfortable and the food not as bland, but sometimes the smell throughout the cabin was in question! Was that double dead mystery meat of the day? 2. There are more gas stations on the freeways with clean bathrooms and if you are lucky, they even have toilet paper!3. Internet service has improved 100%, but still shy from what other countries have! 4. Political civil unrest has toned down a bit, but the Philippine Government still has a long way to go to reduce poverty! 5. Roads, highways, bridges and infrastructures has improved some what, but still lacking in a lot of the poor provinces!6. The housing market is well and flourishing, but getting expensive every year, because Filipinos think all foreigners are rich, some are though!Well, I'll stop here for now since I've developed a case of the brain farts! So, the future of the Philippines don't look too bad, for now that is and it's JMHO from my personal experiences over the years!
So everything you point out suggests the philippines is getting better which will eventually lead to rising costs. That is what i am afraid of and it is inevitable.
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The three stages of retirement are known as, "Go-Go," "Slow-Go," and "No-Go." My wife and I have a different strategy compared to comments made to this topic by Australians and Canadians. We plan to remain in the United States during our active, independent senior years. The best situation is to remain "Go-Go" until it's time to expire. Unfortunately, 70% of retirees will need caregiver services at some point in their remaining life.The Philippines is our destination when we need one or more live-in caregivers or, God forbid, Alzheimer's and Dementia care. The reason is Medicare won't reimburse for custodial care. I am not sure if private and government insurance in Australia and Canada pays for custodial care. What is interesting is the Philippines is the world's largest supplier of professional caregivers. Citizen and Immigration Canada administers the "Live-In Caregiver Program" and issues 10,000 work permits a year. I don't have the numbers for Australia, but the State of Israel also has a live-in caregiver program with 10,000 work permits a year for the care for their elderly. 90% of the visas approved by Israel are for Philippine caregivers. The United Kingdom has 150,000 Filipino nurses and caregivers for their elderly population.For your "Slow-Go" and "No-Go" years, consider remaining in the Philippines. If you go home, the caregivers will be Filipinas at much higher prices. Read the Citizenship and Immigration Canada as to what you have to pay depending on the labor laws of each province. My calculation is the Philippine caregiver prices are about a 70% to 90% comparative discount.

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Ah but you could argue those same points for just about any country... And, yes, the flight between Buffalo and Pittsburgh 30 years ago had the same smell and probably the same uncomfortable seats... When I started driving there instead, I had to memorize which gas stations would or would not have tp in the washrooms... I found the same problems when I was doing the Toronto to Halifax runs 20 years ago too... I guess as time goes on, everything just keeps on getting better... (Except for those dang secondary highways in northern Maine!!!)
  • Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted
The three stages of retirement are known as, "Go-Go," "Slow-Go," and "No-Go." My wife and I have a different strategy compared to comments made to this topic by Australians and Canadians. We plan to remain in the United States during our active, independent senior years. The best situation is to remain "Go-Go" until it's time to expire. Unfortunately, 70% of retirees will need caregiver services at some point in their remaining life.The Philippines is our destination when we need one or more live-in caregivers or, God forbid, Alzheimer's and Dementia care. The reason is Medicare won't reimburse for custodial care. I am not sure if private and government insurance in Australia and Canada pays for custodial care. What is interesting is the Philippines is the world's largest supplier of professional caregivers. Citizen and Immigration Canada administers the "Live-In Caregiver Program" and issues 10,000 work permits a year. I don't have the numbers for Australia, but the State of Israel also has a live-in caregiver program with 10,000 work permits a year for the care for their elderly. 90% of the visas approved by Israel are for Philippine caregivers. The United Kingdom has 150,000 Filipino nurses and caregivers for their elderly population.For your "Slow-Go" and "No-Go" years, consider remaining in the Philippines. If you go home, the caregivers will be Filipinas at much higher prices. Read the Citizenship and Immigration Canada as to what you have to pay depending on the labor laws of each province. My calculation is the Philippine caregiver prices are about a 70% to 90% comparative discount.
I do agree with you about the caregivers in the Philippines and I fully intend to make use of them if I need to. If I'm single, I'll try and stay until I turn to dust... If I'm remarried, I'll stay as long as I can while giving my wife the option if she wants to become an icicle or stay warm.... And in the meantime, as I'm only in my very early 50s and retired, I don't want to be an icicle so I want to go where it is warm!!! In that you have the advantage right now.... you bully! :mocking:
  • Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I wrote a short article about the snowbird industry, but so far the Philippine newspaper where I submitted it has not published. The article proposes a 90 days Philippine visa waiver for persons age 55 years and older. The idea is the annual warm climate migration by Canadians and Americans from the colder climate regions. We get the Canadians from British Columbia and Alberta arriving in Hawaii starting December 15th and departing around April 15th. Those from the East Coast provinces prefer Florida. Another big market for snowbirds is Mexico. While doing my research, I came across a Canadian Snowbird Association.

• Like 3

Bundy
Posted
Posted
I do agree with you about the caregivers in the Philippines and I fully intend to make use of them if I need to. If I'm single, I'll try and stay until I turn to dust... If I'm remarried, I'll stay as long as I can while giving my wife the option if she wants to become an icicle or stay warm.... And in the meantime, as I'm only in my very early 50s and retired, I don't want to be an icicle so I want to go where it is warm!!! In that you have the advantage right now.... you bully! :mocking:
I'm with you Bob. I think anyone in our age bracket should be looking to increase the enjoyment they can get out of life NOW and if there is a way you can, then IMO go for it because you never know what's around the corner and also, i can't imagine getting too much pleasure out of life when you're housebound and requiring the services of a live in caregiver!Enjoy it while ya still can! :hystery:
  • Like 1

Bundy
Posted
Posted
Yes, i agree and have said many times that there have been tremendous advances made in the Philippines over the years, but the rest of the world hasn't exactly stood still either and so the gap between 3rd world and 1st world hasn't been narrowed too much IMO.
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
I wrote a short article about the snowbird industry, but so far the Philippine newspaper where I submitted it has not published. The article proposes a 90 days Philippine visa waiver for persons age 55 years and older. The idea is the annual warm climate migration by Canadians and Americans from the colder climate regions. We get the Canadians from British Columbia and Alberta arriving in Hawaii starting December 15th and departing around April 15th. Those from the East Coast provinces prefer Florida. Another big market for snowbirds is Mexico. While doing my research, I came across a Canadian Snowbird Association.
NOT FAIR!!! I'M NOT 55 FOR A WHILE YET!!! :SugarwareZ-034:But, yes, what you say is very true! I'd say that at least 1/4 of the Canadian population head south for at least 2 (if not more) when it gets cold! Now before people start yelling at me saying my figure is too high, some of those trips would be covered by some who go more than once! I do know Mexico is going down in places to go.... Too many Canadians being targeted and either murdered or badly hurt in places that are suppose to be safe. So one more advantage for the Philippines! And people are getting tired of having to save so much money in order to just get 1 or 2 weeks in the sun... That is one of the reasons Cuba is so popular! Only problem is Hurricane Season which is getting longer and more intense every year - which again goes to the Philippines advantage! Ah, Hurricane Season! One of my sons got married in Nova Scotia last year and my ex decided she wanted to try camping... Last week of August I think it was.... Tail end of one of the hurricanes came right up through where we were.... 100+ mph winds over the last night while we were in a tent... Now that's fun! :mocking:
  • Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted
The article proposes a 90 days Philippine visa waiver for persons age 55 years and older.
JJR ..... I'm gonna disagree with you on this one .... those are the exact ages for the sex-pats coming to visit the Phils ...... I would in no way want to see them getting a visa waiver ...... the Phils has enough problems with this problem with out adding fuel to the fire ...... I know you don't live here but wish sometime you could just come and sit in a mall where this clowns pick up young girls and listen to all the BS ...... it will stagger your imagination ...... sorry just the way I feel about it .... IMHO