Cebu & The Plan !

Higg-num
Posted
Posted

Hello All,I'll be brief. No one has yet responded to my questions regarding an MMA school. Not here nor friends /associates who actually trained & lived in the PI. This info would GREATLY help put me in Cebu as soon as maybe. : ) Soooo, may I please ask if there are members here familiar with Banilad, Talisay ? How about Makati and Mandaluyong ? Last choice is Davao city. Near the Women's college.5 to 7 days a week travel /transport to & from a decent , safe place I could rent away from the " city " would be less expensive from the info I have gathered using the search key here. ( Old posts ) Question is, would the daily commute would eat up the savings of living in the Providence close by ? What about the amount of time or consistency in said travel ?I have no desire to put " Boots on the ground " only to discover this is NOT practical. Sorry for the questions BUT you all are to blame for my fervor in getting over there.Many Thanks

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I have no desire to put " Boots on the ground " only to discover this is NOT practical. Sorry for the questions BUT you all are to blame for my fervor in getting over there.
:attention:I'm sorry but if you think an answer on a forum is going to be the decision regarding anything in the Philippines without even visiting once then I would not even consider answering you.If you think commuting is like living in the US of A then I would recommend that you put boots on the ground before even asking again.There is a lot to learn.
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I don't clearly understand what you are asking.We have family who live in Talisay Cebu. I've visited there the past 14 years. We have forum members who have and are living there now. Talisay is a town just south of Cebu City. Parts of Talisay have become unsafe to live or visit after dark due to a growing meth problem. A place to rent could be found for any budget. The hills above Talisay are nice and fairly safe except for the housing area the mayors son lives in. Google "Jovan Talisay".Banilad is part of Cebu City to the north for the most part an upscale area. Rent would be higher but the location to the city is good. There are condos but don't have prices.What is an MMA? If you are unwilling to boots on the ground I would suggest Philippines is not the right choice for you.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

K, for you older guys not sure what he is looking for... :hystery: He's looking for a Mixed Martial Arts school... UFC type of fighting... I don't live there so I can't answer... And I think he's just trying to find out where the schools are so he decide if it's feasible for him to enrol and still have a decent place to live for a reasonable price... That is one thing that really won't google from this side of the pond...One suggestion... have you tried to search online the schools using google.ph?

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted (edited)

I think this is what you're looking for. Lapu Lapu is on Mactan Island which is next to Cebu City. You would have to check the jeepney routes, by taxi would be more expensive. Public transportation like jeepneys and buses is very inexpensive here compared to the west. There are tons of martial arts schools and quite a few boxing schools here but this is the only MMA school in Cebu I found doing a google search.

Edited by MikeB

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
would the daily commute would eat up the savings of living in the Providence close by ?
People hear spend time, rather than money, on their daily commute. A commute of 5 miles in peak traffic may take half an hour but it only costs about10 or 20 pesos on the jeepney. In truth, I have seen people using bicycles who get there as fast.I have found rents in Banilad to be on the expensive side. Slightly lower in parts of Talisay that are further away (but they have expensive houses too).I have had other foreigners find houses for me that they thought were great and when I got there to look I could not live like that so 'boots on' is the ONLY way to go.I have friends who have found a few 'martial arts schools' and they swear by them. When I accompanied one friend to his 'master?' I found a nipa hut in the middle of a squatters area that was their school. You can rest assured that the only way to find it is by word of mouth, and again, 'boots on'So you really need to come here for the experience before you can make any further 'informed' decisions.
  • Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Higg-num ...... I find it strange that your friends and people that were trained here in the Phils can't give you any information on what to expect when you move here ...... if you are worried now about transportation eating up the difference between living in the city and living outside the city I would say you are on a very tight budget ....... what type of living do you expect ..... most colleges have boarding houses around them for a minimum amount of money .... but you would be living in a dormitory type setting with 1 small room and 2-4 guys in it and a shared cr ..... I'm afraid you haven't given us much to go on so unless you can supply more info we are at a loss ...... here are some websites to start pointing you in the right direction http://www.cebuclassifieds.com/ ................. covers a lot of stuff as far as costs of living here ..... check it out very carefullyhttp://www.bigjimsphilippinesexperience.com/ ......... one of the best sites for actual living here ...... Jim has been here for many years now living I believe in Leytehttp://www.youtube.com/user/RandyKofahl?ob=video-mustangbase ........ another bunch of video's and pictures from Randy Kofahl ...... Randy lives in Liloan north of Cebu City

• Like 2

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
I'll be brief. No one has yet responded to my questions regarding an MMA school.
I'll be brief too! I just did a Google search “MMA schools in the Philippines” here's what came up! Now you can check it out for yourself! Is this the kind of MMA school you're asking about? https://www.google.c...0l2-10.3.1l14l0 http://www.boxinggym...philippines.htm PHILIPPINES BOXING GYMSWhere there are BOXING GYMS AND BOXING CLUBS, there are MMAs! Hey! There's local Filipino MMA fights on local TV and not just the UFC macho guys! Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 1

Higg-num
Posted
Posted

Hey All,Wow ! Thank you for the responses. I mean that most sincerely. Jolly good & a few others, I believe you may have mistaken my meaning gentlemen. Perhaps partly due to me wishing not to waste You all's time from adding detail that I viewed as unnecessary in my polite inquiry. Maybe just because much is lost in the human language. Mike S. I will attempt to give better info with directness in the future Sir. : ) As far as ones budget being tight......Even wealthy people budget. I aint wealthy but I live fairly good. As stated in my original post, my personal contacts Has yet to respond . Hence, my solicitation about pro's vs. cons. I'm formulating a plan folks. All missions start there. ( Delta before the Rangers; Rescue Ops before E.O.D. & S.F and so on.. ) The analogy is You guys already know from experience.Ding, ding, ding. Bob, you hit the nail on the head. Soooo, may I please ask if there are members here familiar with Banilad, Talisay ? How about Makati and Mandaluyong ? Last choice is Davao city. Near the Women's college. These are the locations of the schools that have legit programs or as some say Structure. ALL of my contacts ( Operational types ) are currently deployed but did train at these gyms. They were solid gyms years ago . So the info is a bit old. Dave H, you scored like Bob ! Beware of the In-tard-net when looking at venues as this. Nipa hut huh ? ! ? If the curriculum is good the facilities will reflect that. As will the skill level of the students.I drive an hour and a half , one way, to get to my gym 4-5 days a week currently. I pass about 6 on the way for a reason. My Hot Yoga studio is a lot closer and I do it on my rest days. I'm certain that is not a problem over in the P.I. Folks, I can not review any of my comments, or sentence structure before submitting them to the mods. Therefore PLEASE allow me an opportunity to clarify ANY thing you guys believe offensive or confusing. ALL of you who took the time and effort to respond....you have my gratitude. Sounds like I'm a bit closer to getting over there. Next part of my Ops plan, Legit Volunteer work. That however, will be in a future post.Take care,Higg-num

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
Therefore PLEASE allow me an opportunity to clarify ANY thing you guys believe offensive or confusing.
My guess is that you are younger than many of the crowd here and it is reflected in you writing style. It just means that we are not used to the way you phrase your posts. Take the time to understand our point of view and, in time, we will learn to understand yours.I have no new info to add in response to your question. Just wanted to say welcome.Just found your post where you mentioned your age. Yep, most of the members I have met are 50+ but you'll fit right in there with young Tom, (JollyGoodFellow)
I'm in my early 40's,
Edited by Dave Hounddriver