One Way Tickets Question

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Art2ro just reminded me of something I was going to ask.Every time, in recent memory, that I have tried to find a reasonably priced one way ticket, US domestic, I have failed. Certainly Southwest has some but not on the lanes I frequent, like CVG/LAX on Delta. They want a nonsensical price for that, so last April I bought round-trip and didn't use the return.Thinking ahead several months, are there reasonably priced one way tickets available US to MNL? What is the best method to find one way? Travel agent?

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Don ..... I used an on-line agency for my one way ticket when I moved here over 4 years ago ..... I searched all the big discount on-line companies and finally found the one I wanted took me several months of searching ..... as you probably know you are required to have an on going ticket ........ I purchased the cheapest one from Tiger Air ...... from Clark to Singapore ..... cost at that time was $30 ..... they use a computer generated ticket so I just made a copy of it and showed that to the girl at the Cebu Pacific ticket counter when I got to Taipei ...... they excepted it with no problem ....... then I just tossed the ticket awayA funny story about my Taipei adventure ..... when I finally found the Cebu Pacific ticket counter the girl took my info and then said .... "sir .. there will be a 200 dollar terminal tax fee that was not paid by your travel agent" ..... I was furious ..... I had heard of foreigners being scammed by Filipinos and I was sure this was one of those times ..... I said no way am I gonna pay that kind of money ..... it is more than my ticket from Taipei to Cebu ...... well they all went into a huddle and then went across to another ticket agent and talked for awhile ...... upon coming back the girl said "sorry sir .. you can't board the flight until the tax is paid" ....... I said lady if you think I'm going to pay you $200 US dollars for a plane from Taipei to Cebu your mistaken ..... she looked puzzled for a minute and then she broke into a smile ...... she said "sir ... that is in Taiwan dollars ..... not US dollars ....... it is funny now ... but at the time it was very stressful .... especially after traveling for 20 something hours .... I came from Florida

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I keep hearing that you have to have an outgoing ticket when you get to PI, and I believe it. But no one asked to see one when I went. Where do they usually check? I flew in on Korean Air from Seoul to Cebu. I got there on 24DEC11 and it was stamped for ?MAR12. (the actual date was illegible.) Same with my Korean stamp - 31DEC11 to 31MAR12.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I keep hearing that you have to have an outgoing ticket when you get to PI, and I believe it. But no one asked to see one when I went. Where do they usually check? I flew in on Korean Air from Seoul to Cebu. I got there on 24DEC11 and it was stamped for ?MAR12. (the actual date was illegible.) Same with my Korean stamp - 31DEC11 to 31MAR12.
Are you sure the exit date isn't JAN 12? That would be close to 21 days but I count 19. They count the day of arrival but not the day you depart. If you flew r/t you already had an onward ticket.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
But no one asked to see one when I went. Where do they usually check?
You will notice that about the Philippines. Sometimes they check to see if the rules are being followed and sometimes they don't. Kind of like wearing helmets on M/Cs. You better have it just in case they check. Its expensive if you don't have the ticket (or helmet) when you are checked. Could be the airline doing the checking or could be the Immigration official or they could both assume that the other had checked and no one does.I have ALWAYS been checked but my exit ticket is often with another airline so does not show up in the computer.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Are you sure the exit date isn't JAN 12? That would be close to 21 days but I count 19. They count the day of arrival but not the day you depart. If you flew r/t you already had an onward ticket.
Some where here there is a thread which shows that the count is actually starts the next day.Not the day of arrival.Anyway as to who checks,it is the airlines responsibility to ensure you have an onward ticket to comply with the countries regulations,if not it will be the airline who is hit with the cost of returning you.All this has been discussed before but I cant be bothered looking for it just now. :no:

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
To me it appears to be a 59 day visa stamp, but that's unlikely because a 21 day exempt-visa is the norm for tourists, unless you made prior arrangements while in the U.S.! Prior to your 21 day visa from expiring, they will allow you to extend an additional 38 days. You will also have to apply for your ACR I-card good for a year before your 38 day extension expires. You can then extend your tourist visa every 2 months up to 2 yrs if you so desire, unless you get married to a fine Filipina before then! If the actual stamp in your passport is illegible, you better go to your nearest BOI office to verify what the actual date should be, which actually it should be only for 21 days upon arrivial! Better be safe than sorry! Anyway, why squabble about 1 or 2 days after when you arrived? You'll just have to renew your tourist visa anyway at least a week before your 21 day visa expires, if that applys in your case! Edited by Art2ro

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Some where here there is a thread which shows that the count is actually starts the next day.Not the day of arrival.Anyway as to who checks,it is the airlines responsibility to ensure you have an onward ticket to comply with the countries regulations,if not it will be the airline who is hit with the cost of returning you.All this has been discussed before but I cant be bothered looking for it just now. :no:
Unless it's quoted directly from the BI website I wouldn't take it to the bank. I searched the BI website and could not find this information but it's not very user-friendly (surprise). I found numerous articles citing either way of counting so whether you count the day of arrival and discount the day of departure or vice versa you should be ok.

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Don ..... I used an on-line agency for my one way ticket when I moved here over 4 years ago ..... I searched all the big discount on-line companies and finally found the one I wanted took me several months of searching ..... as you probably know you are required to have an on going ticket ........ I purchased the cheapest one from Tiger Air ...... from Clark to Singapore ..... cost at that time was $30 ..... they use a computer generated ticket so I just made a copy of it and showed that to the girl at the Cebu Pacific ticket counter when I got to Taipei ...... they excepted it with no problem ....... then I just tossed the ticket awayA funny story about my Taipei adventure ..... when I finally found the Cebu Pacific ticket counter the girl took my info and then said .... "sir .. there will be a 200 dollar terminal tax fee that was not paid by your travel agent" ..... I was furious ..... I had heard of foreigners being scammed by Filipinos and I was sure this was one of those times ..... I said no way am I gonna pay that kind of money ..... it is more than my ticket from Taipei to Cebu ...... well they all went into a huddle and then went across to another ticket agent and talked for awhile ...... upon coming back the girl said "sorry sir .. you can't board the flight until the tax is paid" ....... I said lady if you think I'm going to pay you $200 US dollars for a plane from Taipei to Cebu your mistaken ..... she looked puzzled for a minute and then she broke into a smile ...... she said "sir ... that is in Taiwan dollars ..... not US dollars ....... it is funny now ... but at the time it was very stressful .... especially after traveling for 20 something hours .... I came from Florida
I can feel for you! My ex (a Taiwanese) and I were always getting into (friendly) arguments over what things would cost.... never knew if she was talking about Canadian or Taiwanese $ cause she would change in the middle of the argument...!

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Here's an associated thread from another post I made under another topic relating to your question of a one-way ticket which is only proper to be added here to your topic and also get you and others familiar with the follow-on ticket rule .Read the last paragraph starting with But.............,http://www.philippin...ving-to-manila/4 years ago when my wife and I did a 3 day weekend turnaround in Bangkok, Thailand from the Philippines, most of the airline check-in counters all had signs displaying information to tourists that they must have on-ward tickets prior to boarding or in our case, returning to the Philippines on PAL! Luckily, we had our on-ward tickets from Cebu Pacific Air, but they were refundable tickets ($125 per person), because I didn't know any better than just to buy the cheapest promo (throw away) tickets under $20 per person back then, we never got our Travel Tax refund (P1,200 per person at the time I think) because it just wasn't worth the hassle! Enough said on about this on-ward (throw away) ticket business huh, because by now, everyone should know the rule of thumb when it concerns follow-on tickets! But......., if one departs from SFO airport from California to Manila and is a Balikbayan, just a one-way ticket maybe permissible exclusively only with Philippine Airlines, if the ruling via an LBC ticket agent still holds true today, because we were able to do just that a few years ago, because that was what an LBC ticket travel agent on Mckee Ave. in San Jose, Ca. informed us and sure enough it worked for us upon check-in at SFO and our arrival in Manila no questions asked even before and after the immigration official stamped our U.S. passports with the one year free BB stamp! So, this is one case that a one-way ticket was permissible, but I don't know if it is still done today for Balikbayans from the west coast via an LBC travel agent and with Philippine Airlines, because it was a "no go" with another agent or a different airline! An unusual twist huh? I even sent an e-mail to an immigration official in Manila and the Philippine Airline customer service to confirm what transpired and they know nothing of the policy concerning one-way tickets from SFO to Manila on PAL via an LBC travel agency! Go figure!

• Like 1