Philippines May Allow Greater U. S. Military Presence

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
http://www.washingto...IyQQ_story.html

Two decades after evicting U.S. forces from their biggest base in the Pacific, the Philippines is in talks with the Obama administration about expanding the American military presence in the island nation, the latest in a series of strategic moves aimed at China.

Although negotiations are in the early stages, officials from both governments said they are favorably inclined toward a deal. They are scheduled to intensify the discussions Thursday and Friday in Washington before higher-level meetings in March. If an arrangement is reached, it would follow other recent agreements to base thousands of

U.S. Marines in northern Australia and to station Navy warships in Singapore.

Among the options under consideration are operating Navy ships from the Philippines, deploying troops on a rotational basis and staging more frequent joint exercises. Under each scenario, U.S. forces would effectively be guests at existing foreign bases.

Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I wonder if they would consider putting an American base down south where the terrorists are?Hmmm.... Just a thought....

volstateguy
Posted
Posted
I wonder if they would consider putting an American base down south where the terrorists are?Hmmm.... Just a thought....
It would be nice to have a US military base in the Philippines, however the article states that the US doesn't seek to establish a US only base in SE Asia. It sounds as if the military would do rotations in the Philippines and would be stationed on existing Philippine bases.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

My guess is they want the Americans to put their base on the Spratleys

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted
:89: :hystery: :hystery: :gday: :hystery: Now that Dave would be interesting ......

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

Speaking from the Viet nam era, I for one am greatly disappointed in the current US government's treatment of the military. The current 'rules of engagement' or 'be nice to the enemy' logic is costing lives and will further embarass the US as the new 'pu$$y' on the block. The US military once 'meant business' but today, they themselves don't know what they are doing and can't fire a bullet with out permission from Washington.Remember how we all read the Phils press reports about the hours long fire fights and how the terrorists 99% of the time manage to get away AND take their dead with them? How the army is always finding their 'abandoned' camps and are in hot persuit (!)? How we all laugh and laugh at the fake news articles... well, in 10+ years it will be the US military instead of the Phils army in these stories.For those Kanos reading this and remember Don Knotts.... the US military will soon be known as 'Barny! get your gun!'

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 2

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
Here comes the Navy in port with Mama-san on their heels to open shop on Spratley Island for her bar girl employees!

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Here comes the Navy in port with Mama-san on their heels to open shop on Spratley Island for her bar girl employees!
A girls got to make a living..... baby needs new slippers!

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
Here comes the Navy :89: Edited by Art2ro

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Here comes the Navy :89:
What?? No SEMEN joke?Hey, speaking from a long time ago.... $5 make you HOLLA and Long time vs Short time...... what is the current going rates? Military discounts?