Electronics - What Should I Bring Or Not Bring?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I have seen some of the posts about packing TVs in Balikbayan boxes, etc. What compatibility issues should I be concerned with? PAL vs NTSC, etc. I'm not too worried about voltage because I can buy converters.I have a lot of newer electronics and it would cost a lot to replace them. They certainly are not critical but I will have to take a big hit if I sell them, so I am speculating that it may be cost effective to ship them over.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

If you want to use a TV in Philippines, make sure it has an Analog Tuner in it. US is now all digital signal.As for what to bring? If it fits in a balikbayan box and you like it, then just send it. The last large boxes we sent had a 5.1 surround sound system, a 27" TV, Cieling fans, tools, electrical conduit, and several 2,000W power transformers.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

This won't be a huge help but I have brought a couple of laptops with me and they plug in anywhere, to any current, with no problem. Others have told me there are some problems with certain brands so your mileage may vary.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Bring electronic items that require transformers to operate can be a big problem unless they stay plugged in all the time .... one mistake like forgetting to not plug it into 220v and it will be toast ..... I have several items I brought with me that require 110v and I put bright stickers on the plugs and covered them with clear tape as a reminder to use the transformer ..... if you have a large TV there are some BB shippers that have special boxes to ship them in (check with your shipper) ..... my bro-in-law sent a 32in TV from Canada to the Phils and the shipper provided the box (he had to pay for the box of course) ...... again just a word of advise you can buy most things here and they will be a bit more expensive but you also get a local warranty which to me makes a big difference .... if your stuff is fairly new and under warranty I don't think it will be honored here ..... at least most things will not ..... but that is up to you ...... some items like my Acer Tablet have what is called a Travelers Warranty ..... it is good anywhere that has an authorized Acer repair center ......When I built my computer I debated on if I should order all the electronic from the US and have them sent here in a BB but found out that it only cost me roughly $100 to $150 more to purchase everything here (except my vid card) and I had a full 1 year store warranty (bought it all from one store) and then the manufactures warranty after that ..... now I just have stuff shipped to me that I can't find here ..... which in all honesty is very little .....

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Bring or ship whatever you want that you can not part with or you know is cheaper than buying the same item in the Philippines! Me personally, almost anything can be found and bought in the Philippines, but it just may cost a little more! Weather it will last depends on the environment where you plan to live, hot or cool climate, inland or by the sea and or mountains or dusty flat land! That's why we have a split type air conditioner in our large master bedroom running 24/7 because it protects all of our electronic stuff from heat and dust and avoids mildew! Mildew is the most problem in the Philippines due to the high humidity all year round! A friend of ours went on a long vacation and when they returned, all of their electronic stuff and clothes were all damaged due to mildew or rust! So, it's advisable to have a caretaker for your home when going on an extended vacation so that your home can be aired out often to avoid mildew or rust of all of your valued possessions and household furniture!

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Bring electronic items that require transformers to operate can be a big problem unless they stay plugged in all the time .... one mistake like forgetting to not plug it into 220v and it will be toast ..... I have several items I brought with me that require 110v and I put bright stickers on the plugs and covered them with clear tape as a reminder to use the transformer ..... if you have a large TV there are some BB shippers that have special boxes to ship them in (check with your shipper) ..... my bro-in-law sent a 32in TV from Canada to the Phils and the shipper provided the box (he had to pay for the box of course) ...... again just a word of advise you can buy most things here and they will be a bit more expensive but you also get a local warranty which to me makes a big difference .... if your stuff is fairly new and under warranty I don't think it will be honored here ..... at least most things will not ..... but that is up to you ...... some items like my Acer Tablet have what is called a Travelers Warranty ..... it is good anywhere that has an authorized Acer repair center ......When I built my computer I debated on if I should order all the electronic from the US and have them sent here in a BB but found out that it only cost me roughly $100 to $150 more to purchase everything here (except my vid card) and I had a full 1 year store warranty (bought it all from one store) and then the manufactures warranty after that ..... now I just have stuff shipped to me that I can't find here ..... which in all honesty is very little .....
Yes, I have learned some of these lessons the hard way! I lived in Germany for 4 years and plugged a good US power drill into 220! :89: That is a good idea to tape the plugs!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Bring or ship whatever you want that you can not part with or you know is cheaper than buying the same item in the Philippines! Me personally, almost anything can be found and bought in the Philippines, but it just may cost a little more! Weather it will last depends on the environment where you plan to live, hot or cool climate, inland or by the sea and or mountains or dusty flat land! That's why we have a split type air conditioner in our large master bedroom running 24/7 because it protects all of our electronic stuff from heat and dust and avoids mildew! Mildew is the most problem in the Philippines due to the high humidity all year round! A friend of ours went on a long vacation and when they returned, all of their electronic stuff and clothes were all damaged due to mildew or rust! So, it's advisable to have a caretaker for your home when going on an extended vacation so that your home can be aired out often to avoid mildew or rust of all of your valued possessions and household furniture!
Yes, I lived in South Florida and we had to keep the air con on all the time. Once the mildew starts, it is hard to get rid of.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
This won't be a huge help but I have brought a couple of laptops with me and they plug in anywhere, to any current, with no problem. Others have told me there are some problems with certain brands so your mileage may vary.
Funny you mentioned that. Someone had mentioned laptops before, and today I was asking a colleague where I could buy good solid used laptops to bring over. I would bring several and maybe give some away. I only paid $350 for my HP brand new laptop last June, so there must be a lot of cheap used and/or refurbished laptops floating around somewhere.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Well the one problem I wont have when I finally make it over for good is plugging in any electronics I bring with me. We are on 240 volt here and 220 is fine.When I am visiting I just plug my gear into an adapter as the points are different and all is good.But whether is worth shipping things is debatable,depends on age I guess as why ship something that might only have another year left in it.Then there's the risk of it getting there in perfect condition.Even the unlikely like the ship that ran aground in New Zealand some months back,all containers were lost.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

Ship the electronics. In the West, old equipment goes to a dumpster and adds to the landfill. In the Philippines, they are still appreciated and used either as donations or resale. Most American schools won't accept used computers. They want brand new only.

Edited by JJR