Electronics - What Should I Bring Or Not Bring?

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
Ship the electronics. In the West, old equipment goes to a dumpster and adds to the landfill. In the Philippines, they are still appreciated and used either as donations or resale. Most American schools won't accept used computers. They want brand new only.
What land fill? Has anyone seen the recycling efforts of Taiwan in the past 30 years? They just about recycle everything or anything that's thrown away! Taiwan's recycling efforts pays offhttp://www.epb.taich...20Pay%20Off.pdfTaiwan's recycling business tops the world: EPAhttp://www.roc-taiwa...e=1&pagesize=50Surely, the Philippines isn't lacking in recyclables or the manpower!Sorry for going off topic! JJR made me do it! :mocking:
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Hi Art2ro,My location is Honolulu, Hawaii and not Taipei, Taiwan.Our dumpsites are not permitted to accept televisions, computer screens, etc. because they contain mercury and other hazardous materials. They can potentially damage our precious water supply and fragile eco-system. These items are shipped at taxpayers expense to landfills in Nevada. The theory is there is little rainfall in the desert. We also don't have a scrap metal smelter for recyling. Older model cellular phones are shipped to the Philippines, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, etc. for re-use and re-sale if they have a SIM card. Broken and damaged phones are opened and stripped of precious materials. The remaining components are either melted as scraps or destined for landfills. Taiwan has an excellent recycling industry. They even purchased old US warships as scrap metal. Either there was miscommuncation or the cyclers kept quiet, but the warships were nuclear powered (the power plant and all equipment had been removed), but the radiation shields remained. The metal was melted and reshaped as structural steel for building construction. There are several residential buildings in Taipei that are highly radioactive, but the government claims they are within appropriate limits. The point that I was trying to make is to ship old computers and laptops and other electronics to the Philippines. They are highly appreciated as donations by public schools after you tire of them. Even if they are no longer working, the electronics will be cannibalized for spare parts. They won't do this in the United States because of the high labor cost.

• Like 1

Lordblacknail
Posted
Posted

What these guys aren't mentioning is that yes, you can buy a tv here, but for the most part it will be a couple of years behind the ones you can buy in the US, but that is ok, because it will cost more. I have not seen a decent video card here. We brought all of our computers. Both desktops and monitors in our carry on luggage, because we had shipped the stuff you might normally bring in your suitcases earlier via LBC. We also bought a new LCD 40" tv at Costco and brought it along as carry on luggage in the original box. It cost $150 over size from Seattle to Manila, then $150 for over size from Manila to Cebu, but when we got it here it worked and works perfectly. Total cost $950. I haven't seen anything here for that price that is comparable. The only thing that didn't work in electronics are a couple of the printers, they were shipped via LBC. The kitchen aid mixer quit after five uses, not sure why. Costco will replace, but how do I get it back to the states?

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted
Well the one problem I wont have when I finally make it over for good is plugging in any electronics I bring with me. We are on 240 volt here and 220 is fine.When I am visiting I just plug my gear into an adapter as the points are different and all is good.But whether is worth shipping things is debatable,depends on age I guess as why ship something that might only have another year left in it.Then there's the risk of it getting there in perfect condition.Even the unlikely like the ship that ran aground in New Zealand some months back,all containers were lost.
Be careful. I believe Aust is 50hz. The RP is 60hz.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Be careful. I believe Aust is 50hz. The RP is 60hz
Interesting point.I could be wrong but I think things like Laptops operate either way without a problem. I dont intend to bring anything other than a computer and laptops and my trusty shaver which I have used in Cebu every time.I believe running 60 Hz could burn out motors faster as they are turning faster but honestly don't know much about it.So for Aussies,have you shipped your electrical appliances to the Philippines?

brock
Posted
Posted

Well I have taken electrical items from the UK and everything worked just fine, We are 240 volts too