Proxy Servers, Anyone!

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Running a proxy server is not cheap or free. The one running the server has to pay the connection cost's. Not only do you have hardware and software to pay for. You have bandwitdth issues your normal home user does not see. Big difference between business class internet usage and home consumer usage.I have built a proxy server at work and it goes through two static IP addresses. It was an experiment to see how fast I could connect while in Philippines. The business class DSL was not that fast to keep up. All they guarantee is max 512kb upload rate and 1.5mb download.If you have someone in the US or elswhere willing to run a proxy server for you, than try this.http://www.youngzsoft.net/ccproxy/You can run up to 3 users on it for free.Just watch out for hackers gaining control of it. When I experimented with it there was a hole in the program that allowed spammers to route email through it. My ISP provider shut me down until I was able to prove it was not me sending intentional spam. That was when I was experimenting at home with it.There is no such thing as "Free" on the internet. There is always a "Catch" somewhere.

• Like 2

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
Big difference between business class internet usage and home consumer usage. I have built a proxy server at work and it goes through two static IP addresses. It was an experiment to see how fast I could connect while in Philippines. The business class DSL was not that fast to keep up. All they guarantee is max 512kb upload rate and 1.5mb download. If you have someone in the US or elswhere willing to run a proxy server for you, than try this. There is no such thing as "Free" on the internet. There is always a "Catch" somewhere.
Now I'm totally confused! You make it sound so complicated and expensive since you were the OP who said, "you get what you pay for" and now just explaining yourself which I'm glad you are and did explain somewhat, but you didn't explain the purpose of using a proxy server! If there is no such thing as "free" on the internet, then why do they advertise it saying as such and what "catch" are you taking about? Also, why would I want for someone to run as a proxy server for me and for what purpose? This is a lot of techno geek lingo for a lieu person like myself and it seems the question I've asked is not as simple as it's answer or explanation! It seems that my SS Buddy Jake likes and understands your explanation because he was a Chief Master Bater (E-9) electronics whiz in the Navy, but I sure didn't understand it since I still have a lot of questions of my own and am only an ex-Air Force Tsgt (E-6) grease monkey for 30 yrs! I'm just not a whiz kid with all of this computer techno geek jargon! Sorry, you'll have to explain it to me in lieu man's terms if you can and have the time and patience to do so or just tell me to buzz off! Who was it that posted a comment that there were no "keyboard commandos" on this forum? Oh, it was oldutot here: http://www.philippin...__15#entry58346 :lol: Edited by Art2ro

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

So why would you want to use a proxy server in the first place?Here is a decent Wikipedia write up on the subject.http://en.wikipedia....ki/Proxy_serverWhen you talk of watching movies on Hulu, there is a reason you get rejected from a Phiippine IP address location. It might have something to do with that thing called "Copy Right". There are many sites that flat out do not want to deal with Philippines in the first place. The internet is setup sort of like Country codes with the phones.What the proxy server does in your case is fake out Hulu into thinking you are located somewhere other than Philippines.Before you use your proxy server setup, go to this link and see what information it gives about your internet address and location.http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htmThen use your proxy server settings and run it again. Notice your location is now different.I am by no means an expert on this subject. But I have spent a lot of time and research on it. Ultimately it still comes down to "You get what you pay for". You want free, then deal with the adds, spam mail, voice over commercials or sort surveys. That is the "Catch" to the "Free" stuff. If you want to be free of adds and what not, you have to pay for the premium service.Unkown Proxy's can also be dangerous to. You are sending data through an unknown source.Think of it this way Art, As an example, you have an underwater trans Pacific telephone line. Some one cuts it and intercepts the signal, they can hear the entire conversation and recorder it. They then forward the recorded conversation. Now in human terms we are talking about minutes of delay between sending the conversation, in computer terms it is mili seconds.I will do my best to explain. I am not one to tell someone to "buzz off". If there is something you do not understand I will try to put it in terms a fellow grease monkey would understant.

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

So you see, you are answering most of the questions I have put to you and it's most appreciated that you are taking the time and have the patience to explain it all in terms that I and others can understand! I will check out some of your comments when I get to that point in knowing what you have just provided and hopefully maybe of some use! As to why I want to use a proxy server in the first place was because I know nothing about it and was just curious, but it actually helped me with a problem that I had with paying my renewal subscription of my Magic Jack and it worked for some reason or could have just been a coincidence, I don't know! Thank you so far for your detailed explanations and contributing and sharing your knowledge and experiences on this fine forum! I will probably have more questions to ask if I can not figure out the ins and outs pertaining to this proxy server application! Who said that you can't teach an old dog new tricks? :lol:

• Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Since you menioned payments. Here is another thing to watch out for when using credit cards through a proxy. As you may well know, credit card fraud is a major problem.Where you are on the internet affects wheather a payment will be accepted or not. While on vacation last year I came across a good deal on one of those 1 sale a day sites. Even being a registered user and purchasing things from them in the past, they canceled my order. Why? Because it was placed from an overseas IP address. They did try to call me to confirm but I did not have my US Cell phone turned on.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

FlyAway is correct about copyright infringement as one reason why you sometimes cannot download if your IP address is in the Philippines. The problem dates back to the Martial Law era when then President Ferdinand Marcos signed an executive order permitting education book publishers to reprint without paying royalty. The executive order was eventually rescinded by another administration.Piracy of American movies and other copyright protected materials remain rampant, although there has been improvements. The US Congress publishes an annual list of the biggest offenders. There are consequences. At one time, Canada was included because of their more liberal interpretation of what is "fair use" and "public domain." China, Russia, Pakistan are some of the names I recall that are on the list.Going back to movies, the piracy was so sophisticated that Hollywood films were being sold underground in the Philippines before their theatrical release in the United States. Private investigators hired by the industry learned that some film critics would make copies of the DVDs or DVRs for resale. The film studios started sending preview movies embedded in a player. It was welded. The critic had to return the player in a post-paid package before the film studio sends another film.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

OK Art I found the program ...... it's called Hide IP Easy and costs about $27 I think ...... I can't really recommend it as I only tried it a couple of times but maybe some others have used it more extensively and can give a better opinion ...... hope this helps .... I'll check on another board I go to sometimes as I seem to remember a discussion a while back on what is the best proxy to use ..... may take me a bit as I will have to hunt it up ..... http://www.easy-hideip.com/hide-ip-easy-update-installed.html

Mike S
Posted
Posted
Because it was placed from an overseas IP address. They did try to call me to confirm but I did not have my US Cell phone turned on.
You are correct sir ...... when I first got here I bought some stuff with my HSBC card with out telling them where I was ..... they held up my payment to the vendor who in turn notified me that payment was refused ...... I had to get in a conference call with the 3 of us which HSBC set up to get it straightened up ...... the same with my CitiBank CC ..... had to notify them of my living here ..... now years later everything is all right .....By the way I also learned some stuff with your posting of proxy servers ....... thanks ...... every little bit helps ...... at least that's what she said ........ :23_11_60[2]: :hystery: :hystery:
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

Since you menioned payments. Here is another thing to watch out for when using credit cards through a proxy. As you may well know, credit card fraud is a major problem.Where you are on the internet affects wheather a payment will be accepted or not. While on vacation last year I came across a good deal on one of those 1 sale a day sites. Even being a registered user and purchasing things from them in the past, they canceled my order. Why? Because it was placed from an overseas IP address. They did try to call me to confirm but I did not have my US Cell phone turned on.

altho slightly off topic, make sure you keep in touch/contact with your credit card issuer

if your going to be here(RP) or on a visa run(thai.Hkg) make sure they they know your whereabouts

Should you be purchasing large ticket items or at a dept store that you must make seperate purchases at different areas of the store. or even purchasing items Off the internet

TELL THEM.so that you encounter NO problems/no difficulities,

(they(mastercard/visa) do have Philippine TOLL FREE# .not the US # but one that can be accessed from here)

Regarding a US phone number , yes use magic jack if your here,

or have a US TOLL FREE# that your banks.or other important persons can contact you.

this can be even directed to your Cell Phone should you be away from your home#

I have used such a service for the past 10yrs, at $1.00 usd a month plus any incoming calls

,its been helpful for me, (callback services is what its called)

Edited by Call me Bubba
  • Like 1