Warning Out Vs 'frankenstein' Malware

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
http://ph.news.yahoo...ZXN0Aw--;_ylv=3As if the present batch of malware were not bad enough, computer users may have to watch out against a new breed of malware: those of the Frankenstein variety. Bitdefender’s MalwareCity.com said it has so far identified 40,000 such malware symbioses out of a sample pool of 10 million files. “Now, another ‘practice’ has silently emerged: the file infector that accidentally parasites another e-threat ... If the virus reaches a PC already compromised by a worm, the virus will infect the exe files on that PC - including the worm. When the worm spreads, it will carry the virus with it. Although this happens unintentionally, the combined features from both pieces of malware will inflict a lot more damage than the creators of either piece of malware intended,” it said. It said these “Frankenmalware” or “malware sandwiches” take place spontaneously where the virus infects by mistake another malware and uses its capabilities to spread.
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Also computers can be infected when people leave links in copy and paste posts. Please break links in copied posts thanks.This was a link in the above post which I removed like the ones in the other posts.post-1-0-73973500-1328359655.gifTo break links easily when posting.Highlight the link first then click the brake link button, the text will remain but no link :thumbsup:post-1-0-40423800-1328359735_thumb.gif

• Like 4

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)
Also computers can be infected when people leave links in copy and paste posts. Please break links in copied posts thanks.This was a link in the above post which I removed like the ones in the other posts.post-1-0-73973500-1328359655.gifTo break links easily when posting.Highlight the link first then click the brake link button, the text will remain but no link :thumbsup:post-1-0-40423800-1328359735_thumb.gif
Being a simple ass and not a geek type of guy, I do not understand this. The link can be infected, but not the actual address? So if I write something and put in a link like zzz.iamalink.con it can be infected but if I break that link and the reader simply, manually, enters zzz.iamalink.con to get to the site I wanted to talk about, that is OK? Edited by Bruce

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Being a simple ass and not a geek type of guy, I do not understand this. The link can be infected, but not the actual address? So if I write something and but in a link like zzz.iamalink.con it can be infected but if I break that link and the reader simply, manually, enters zzz.iamalink.con to get to the site I wanted to talk about, that is OK?
No, the link takes you some where and someone might click on it and find it goes to a site with a Trojan. I'm not talking about links you post deliberately but the ones that come from other sources and are embedded into an article or where ever the text is copied from.Sometimes I look at my google webmaster account and it tells me what this forum is linked to and I see some Russian cigarette site for example and when you trace it back its a link in a post somewhere. There may be nothing wrong with the site but who knows and also I dont want to be linked to unknown sites. All the links I removed in the other posts tonight went to a blog but why should I be linked to a blog I dont endorse but the main thing is it could have been a link which could infect your computer with something you do not want.
  • Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Being a simple ass and not a geek type of guy, I do not understand this. The link can be infected, but not the actual address? So if I write something and but in a link like zzz.iamalink.con it can be infected but if I break that link and the reader simply, manually, enters zzz.iamalink.con to get to the site I wanted to talk about, that is OK?
No, the link takes you some where and someone might click on it and find it goes to a site with a Trojan. I'm not talking about links you post deliberately but the ones that come from other sources and are embedded into an article or where ever the text is copied from.Sometimes I look at my google webmaster account and it tells me what this forum is linked to and I see some Russian cigarette site for example and when you trace it back its a link in a post somewhere. There may be nothing wrong with the site but who knows and also I dont want to be linked to unknown sites. All the links I removed in the other posts tonight went to a blog but why should I be linked to a blog I dont endorse but the main thing is it could have been a link which could infect your computer with something you do not want.
Tracing links is beyond my ability. If I see a link in something I copy and paste, and then I break that link.... all is good and well?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I just said it a minute ago in another post... I'm glad I don't use Windows! Almost all malware / viruses / trojans / condoms etc are written for Windows. I can open all this bad stuff up that people are talking about and it doesn't affect my computer - because my operating system uses a different "language". If you wish to keep using Windows, I recommend getting a good anti-virus program (even the better free ones like AVG) and have another as a daily backup - just in case the anti-virus you're using hasn't been upgraded to recognize the bug yet. Also download a root kit to make sure that you don't have something already installed on your computer - look at it as an anti-virus program for viruses already installed! And, even though I tease about not using Windows, I still have AVG for Linux installed! Because one of these days some idiot is going to write something for Linux...

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Tracing links is beyond my ability. If I see a link in something I copy and paste, and then I break that link.... all is good and well?
Bruce,yes, we dont want unknown links which are placed often in news story's or other places where people copy them from. I've seen some posts with 5 or more links in them that are not meant to be on this forum,some are what is called info links which are advertising that pops up if you move your cursor over the link.With the method I posted no words are removed like a link can be, like this, so all you see are two words with a line under them which indicates its a link,it does not need to look like this to be a link, http://philippines-expats.com/

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

So this breaking a link is done at the menu or do we need to paste our stuff in notepad first so it won't carry the html formatting for a link? Just curious because, yours truly is sometimes sadly lazy, more akin to a three toed sloth than an dashing demolisher of hyperlinks.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
So this breaking a link is done at the menu or do we need to paste our stuff in notepad first so it won't carry the html formatting for a link? Just curious because, yours truly is sometimes sadly lazy, more akin to a three toed sloth than an dashing demolisher of hyperlinks.
I believe the formatting will still be there as you are posting it into a HTML editor.Instructions are in first post up top, click on picture to enlarge. :grouphugg:

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Well, thanks Boss Man. Now not only do I know how to break a link, I finally know how to add a link. I had been doing it only from draging if from address bar.thanks,danny