Need Printer Cartridges For Hp Deskjet 5740

Mike S
Posted
Posted

My Cannon printer as 2 cartridges in it the same as my HP did ..... one for black ink and one tri-color ink cartridge not sure what you mean Bob .......

i am bob
Posted
Posted
My Cannon printer as 2 cartridges in it the same as my HP did ..... one for black ink and one tri-color ink cartridge not sure what you mean Bob .......
NP... Just found out I was wrong! Thanks a lot Mike!!! :mocking:

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted (edited)
A little over 2 years ago I shipped my HP Printer to the Philippines with extra ink cartridges. I still have some Black cartridges but have ran out of the color ones. What I need is a HP Tri-color 97 Part # C9363WN. Does anyone know if they are available in Cebu City?
So I happen to have some insights into HP cart's. I worked to produce the automated assembly and test equipment for every HP cart ever produced, including the most recent "02" tanks. In the later years, a chip was included on the cart's called an acumen chip. We collected hundreds of manufaturing data points on this chip, so it had a use in manufacturing debug, then as it developed, the printers were designed to record activity for use in troubleshooting, but also as the cart recycling programs started up, the chips were scanned after customers sent them in for recycling and this provided user profile data for understanding how the printer was used, not actual user data, but the ink flow rates, how long between prints... that sort of data. As the chip evolved, and in the later versions, the printer interacts such that it can tell if the cart was used up and likely refilled, that the cart has changed printers etc. In a nutshell, this chip on HP carts is the most sofisticated in the IJP industry and causes aftermarket folks fits... I have a CISS for my large format HP printer and had to scavenge chips off of legitamate carts. The CISS has a reset function to the chip so it functions after it supposedly runs past the amount of ink it should have. I checked and there is no CISS available for your cart and as I only knew the carts by there project code names, I looked yours up and it is an older "sponge" pressured model and can be refilled with standard HP ink, you should have no trouble getting yours refilled, though I have not always had the greatest luck with that as the backpressure baseline is critical to proper function and as you will see, the refillers have no clue about that. There are limitations to refilling and it is really a crap shoot with these cartrideges. The sponge inside that provides the backpressure is does not take well to different ink formulations and some formulas "relax" the foam and when that happens it will never function properly again. As for availability of HP carts in the Phils.... the Phils are not a large market for HP and therefore they have never been present on a comprehensive level in the market... Lexmark, Epson and Canon have the Phils market locked up. In fact, I have consulted in the Lexmark facility on Mactan and I think they are third in the market. refilling will likely be your best bet as finding the new 97's is not too common there. If you do refill, run the tools that purge the cart right away to try to set the back pressure correctly. Also, make sure that the refill hole they make is sealed or the ink will have a vent that will allow gravity leakage to occur. In the end? If you need a reliable printer, get one at the mall with a CISS and just keep the tanks full. ie: Canon or Epson CISS work great!! Probably way too much detail but I lived IJ carts for over 20 years and I must not get too much opportunity to talk about them anymore. :mocking: Edited by Dzighnman
  • Like 4

Americano
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the information. I didn't know there was a chip on HP cart's that gathers that much information about the printer and its use.I plan to refill the 2 empty color cart's that I saved. They are tri-color, so how do the holes need to be plugged? Is scotch tape strong enough to hold the pressure or do they need some kind of rubber plug?

i am bob
Posted
Posted
So I happen to have some insights into HP cart's. I worked to produce the automated assembly and test equipment for every HP cart ever produced, including the most recent "02" tanks.
Thanks! My time with HP was limited and they were just informing us about the chips as I was preparing to go out the door. Thus my information was pretty limited and I'm still not sure if all they told us was correct - the engineers I dealt with often had different ideas on what was available because they would mix up production and initial design projects often. And the engineers I worked with were mostly on hardware design rather than the ink formulations. And, since I was with HP almost 10 years ago and only for a short time, I forgot most of what I knew... Why? I keep buying discontinued printers because it's cheaper than buying refilled ink! ie: I have a Brother DCP-130c multifunction (printer, scanner, copier) and a Brother HL-2140 laser I bought for a total of $28 Canadian out of the box new. I'm almost out of ink on the 130c so I soon will have to start looking at who's clearing what printers again.Just a note for those looking to buy printers - it's not the printer that the companies make their money on, it's the ink! So look for one that is popular, easy to use, good quality print and cheap to replace the ink on. Or buy a discontinued one on clearance!
  • Like 1

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted
Thanks for the information. I didn't know there was a chip on HP cart's that gathers that much information about the printer and its use.I plan to refill the 2 empty color cart's that I saved. They are tri-color, so how do the holes need to be plugged? Is scotch tape strong enough to hold the pressure or do they need some kind of rubber plug?
Good adhesive tape works well, but hot melt glue is the best. Underneath the top label you may also find rubber plugs that could be punctured wit h a syringe... honestly, there are so many different evolutions of HP IJC's, I cannot recall specifically what that model consists of... for inkfill porting.

Americano
Posted
Posted

I just removed the top label. It has holes for each color but no plugs. One color has one hole and the other two colors have two holes each. Hopefully the refill person will know what to do. I had a refill kit in America but I didn't bring it with me.