Over size Filipinos

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

Speaking of larger sizes of clothes.......Has anyone been here long enough to make a comment about the larger sized Pinoy? Were there 'large Pinoys' in numbers to be noticed before the days of McDo and Jollibees and other western style chain restaurants?I am wondering if the 'large Pinoy' is normal or a by product of the invasion of fast food restaurants and refrigeration. I am 5'8" and about 170 pounds and and I am usually taller than the women, but next to the men there are quite a few taller / heavier than me out here on Samar.Jake and Art don't count as they were raised on a western diet..... But how about your cousins that never left Phils?

Edited by Bruce

Jake
Posted
Posted
Speaking of larger sizes of clothes.......Has anyone been here long enough to make a comment about the larger sized Pinoy? Were there 'large Pinoys' in numbers to be noticed before the days of McDo and Jollibees and other western style chain restaurants?I am wondering if the 'large Pinoy' is normal or a by product of the invasion of fast food restaurants and refrigeration. I am 5'8" and about 170 pounds and and I am usually taller than the women, but next to the men there are quite a few taller / heavier than me out here on Samar.Jake and Art don't count as they were raised on a western diet..... But how about your cousins that never left Phils?
Most of Judy's and my friends and relatives in PI have a slim and short frame. Probably caused bytheir diet or lack thereof. For those that have enough to blow extra on food intake have a pot belly.Prime example are the typical PNP and the rich and powerful. Many Filipino-Chinese have a Buddhapot belly, a sign of living well I guess......Mike S is a born again Filipino native by going out selecting the materials and have them custom fithis body. Many seamstress and tailor shops are excellent and very cheap. Well done Mike S!

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I'm only 5'7" tall and all of my relatives in the U.S. or Philippines are shorter or as tall as me! It's all in the genes and not always what one puts in their stomachs! :grouphugg:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
earthdome
Posted
Posted
Most of Judy's and my friends and relatives in PI have a slim and short frame. Probably caused bytheir diet or lack thereof. For those that have enough to blow extra on food intake have a pot belly.Prime example are the typical PNP and the rich and powerful. Many Filipino-Chinese have a Buddhapot belly, a sign of living well I guess......
I am 5'11" and 145lbs, the most I have ever weighed. My filipina girlfriend mentions from time to time that I need to eat more and get FAT.Perhaps that is a cultural thing where those who have a bit of fat are viewed as being more successful in the Philippines, whereas in the west those with a hardbody from the gym are seen as being more successful.Me, I am just genetically predisposed to be skinny. But working on that pot belly for my girlfriend!
  • Like 1

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted (edited)
Speaking of larger sizes of clothes.......Has anyone been here long enough to make a comment about the larger sized Pinoy? Were there 'large Pinoys' in numbers to be noticed before the days of McDo and Jollibees and other western style chain restaurants? I am wondering if the 'large Pinoy' is normal or a by product of the invasion of fast food restaurants and refrigeration
I draw this comparison to my family and friends quite often... when I first set foot in the Philippines in the 90's, I recall when people asked me about this land my first comment was there are no overweight people... and that is my memory of that time, fast forward to today and I would venture that (unscientifically) I might see 20%+ overweight Filipinas, however far less than that with the guys, on any given day people watching at the mall. In my view, it is definitely tied to a slowly developing middle class, though even out in the province now, the weight gains are appearing in the younger folks as well. For example, want to see a higher percentage of heavies.. .go to S&R and observe.... Filipinos that can afford this place are in that developing middle class category and with that comes changes to diet that impact health and weight. I would say that the influx of fast food over the decade has much to do with it.....but it likely a composite of so many more factors.More directly relative to I and my wife, When we met, she was working and running around alot (only takes a need for two items at a store to neccesitate a run around to find them) and alot more walking, be it provincal, or just not getting a jeepney or whatever. She was 5'4 and 100 lbs. I worked alot and sadly at that point in my career, mostly brain work and not physical, and I worked really long hours, entertained project teams at dinner and out and was just eating, rinking and not excersizing, at 6'2" and 260 lbs, I could never break the cycle to get to my normal weight of 210 lbs. My wife came to the USa and be it, less excersize, larger portions, readily available foods she never hear of... she battled and fought but still inched up to 140 lbs.... she would excersize, try to diet, no change to weight. Leap ahead to 2010 and we retire to the Philippines, no need t ostress the changes as most of you are aware, but the results were dramatic, I was 220 lbs 4 1/2 months after arriving in the Philippines, I substituted some excersize for the lack of an 18 hour work day and ate with the family, no fast food, no processed food, rice, fish, chicken, pork, some San Mig's, and my worst sin was Chicharon once a week. and my wife was back to the diet she loved. in the same time, 4 1/2 months, my wife was again 105 and happy happy..... sadly our retirement plan was temporarily interrupted and we needed to attend to family business in the USA for a year + (almost at the end of that now) and we were dedicated to NOT allowing our lifestyle change to revert our weight once again.... so aftger 11 months in the USA.... (this is tough), My wife is 135lbs and still 5'4" and I am just under 260 and still 6'2".... We tried, SO hard, at first, no ice cream, then only a little... at first sharing a meal at a restaurant now ordering our own king size portions.... avoiding Chinese buffets for 6 bucks and all-u-can-eat... then allowing only once a week .... it gravitated to where now, we diet, excersize only to not get worse.... So, long story short, when the temptation is there, we struggle... when we are in the Phils, be it the heat, humidity, whatever, I do not desire much food, neither does my wife and we just are not interested in going out for fast food.. .and I like much of what the family prepares so it is all good. :dance: Edited by Dzighnman
  • Like 4

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Well said. I think your situation sums it up well. More money, more varied and plentiful diet.... more weight.One interesting thing is that modern science is NOW just admitting that ALL diets are useless. EVERYONE. The only tried and proven way to loose weight AND prolong life (legit adds years) is to eat a bare minimum of calories. 1,000 or less per day. PERIOD. Tell your cousin suziewhatsherface her master's in nutrition crap is useless. REALLY. Tell the cafeteria lunch lady with her 5 food groups to 'pound sand!'This will be interesting as it is now been proven... but WHO has the willpower to eat 1,000 calories a day, every day... for years!

Jake
Posted
Posted

Yeah, super size your over size. Fast order and food of convenience is taking over the world of many families stressing out in order to keep up with the Jones. No more time for quality family time -- simply order take outs, pig out in front of a largescreen TV and then pass out on the couch with buttered pop corn down your shirt. With Dzighnman acute sense of observation, more and more OFW's are sending record breaking remittance (several billion US).And the growing Filipino middle class will continue to migrate to the western type food superstores, even though the local andfresh native foods are just across the street. Personally in my golden years of retirement, it was imperative for me to seriously change my lifestyle. No longer have the luxuryof quick recovery from injuries (like my teenagers) and no longer have the fast metabolism to burn the fat away. I drastically reduced my overall food intake (especially rice, salt and sugar) and drastically upped my game of tennis and other sport activities.Otherwise, my type II diabetes and hypertension will put me in the grave prematurely. After all, we can have all the retirement $$ but maintaining good to excellent health is priceless.

• Like 3

Bruce
Posted
Posted

One of the SADDEST things any parent (in the US, UK, or OZ) can hear is their 30 yr old son say..... 'Would you like fries with that order?' or 'Can I SUPERSIZE it for you?' .Oh, that make me want to cry... he showed such potential before he got hooked on the rap music and video games.......(sorry, the devil made me do it!) :hystery: :dance: :dance:

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
One Of The Saddest Things Any Parent (In The Us, Uk, Or Oz) Can Hear Is Their 30 Yr Old Son Say..... 'would You Like Fries With That Order?' Or 'can I Supersize It For You?' . Oh, That Make Me Want To Cry... He Showed Such Potential Before He Got Hooked On The Rap Music And Video Games....... (Sorry, The Devil Made Me Do It!) :hystery: :dance: :dance:
Funny Thing Is I Read Every Where And Also From My Sister Who Went To USA Several Years Back That The Portions Are Much Larger In The US Than Here In Aus So Thats Part Of The Reason Of A Bigger Size Population.
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

50 years ago, diabetes was unknown in the Phiippines and most of Asia. The statistics from Japan indicate that their diabetes numbers equal that of the United States and Europe. It is the same with heart disease. I don't have data for the Philippines, but the Japan government is sponsoring Japanese medical students and doctors to study in the United States and become heart surgeons. I met a couple from Stanford Medical at a wedding about a year ago. I had asked them which field of medicine at Stanford and they jokingly replied, "KFC." It took me a minute to realize the acronym was for Kentucky Fried Chicken."Filipinos were mostly thin and short just 25 years ago. They are becoming taller and bulkier. The change from rice and vegetables to a Western diet of burgers and fries is the reason given. Heart disease and diabetes are the byproduct of the dietary change.

• Like 3