Art ,I Wonder?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I am wondering if Art is in the culture of the Filipinos. Do they collect Art as some westerners do? :no: :unsure:

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Yes, but most of it is religious art. Contemporary art has a more limited audience. The patrons are the old families like the Ayalas. Both art and culture flourish with economic prosperity as the new wealthy wants to show off their money. The latest example are the Chinese. Unfortunately, since the nouveau riche cannot distinguish good from bad contemporary art, they rely on expert consultants and dealers, who promptly take advantage of them. One of my closest friends is a master photographer fron Denmark who had apprenticed with Ansel Adams, a world famous photographer from California. (Ansel Adams prints now sell from $10,000 to $30,000.) Per went to Shanghai, China to find a dealer for his black & white prints, which he was selling through art dealers for around $400 each. No one was interested. He returned the next year with the same prints priced at $2,000 each, and they sold like hot cakes. The Chinese dealers preferred the higher price because they could make a larger commission. Per could no longer sell prints in the US market because they were overpriced, but he doesn't care so long as the Chinese kept buying.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted
I am wondering if Art is in the culture of the Filipinos. Do they collect Art as some westerners do? :yes: :mocking:
I thought he was a member of this forum....??? :36_6_3[1]:Oh is I gonna get it now!!!

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Yes, but most of it is religious art. Contemporary art has a more limited audience. The patrons are the old families like the Ayalas. Both art and culture flourish with economic prosperity as the new wealthy wants to show off their money. The latest example are the Chinese. Unfortunately, since the nouveau riche cannot distinguish good from bad contemporary art, they rely on expert consultants and dealers, who promptly take advantage of them. One of my closest friends is a master photographer fron Denmark who had apprenticed with Ansel Adams, a world famous photographer from California. (Ansel Adams prints now sell from $10,000 to $30,000.) Per went to Shanghai, China to find a dealer for his black & white prints, which he was selling through art dealers for around $400 each. No one was interested. He returned the next year with the same prints priced at $2,000 each, and they sold like hot cakes. The Chinese dealers preferred the higher price because they could make a larger commission. Per could no longer sell prints in the US market because they were overpriced, but he doesn't care so long as the Chinese kept buying.
When I had my art store (right after retiring from the air force), one of my regulars, Vince, would come in and do signings on prints of his work. I asked him how he managed to get his showings in NYC. He told me that while living in New York as a struggling artist, he had a chance to meet another famous artist (can't remember which one - he knew them all) who told him the same secret. Keep raising your price higher and somebody will sooner or later think you ARE an impressive artist.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Keep raising your price higher and somebody will sooner or later think you ARE an impressive artist.
That's how they sold new clothes to the emperor.But as to art. I have seen local wood carvings on display in very poor houses. Made by local wood carvers. They are not worth the money you folks are talking about but they are art and they are culture and they are prized and displayed possessions.

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

If they have funds and interest: Yes, yes they do. Baguio City has a fairly vibrant art community who dote on, along with the literati and academics, volkswagens. Visit the museums and art galleries around Manila, particularly galleries in the Intramuros area to see the works of many different Filipino artists. Juan Luna was a renowned painter during the late 1800s who was both notable as a member of the Filipino Ilustrado movment along with the famous and artistic Jose Rizal. Probably more commonly seen are copies of the work of Fernando Cueto Amorsolo, whose paintings of pastoral scenes are found almost everywhere you turn.amorsolo1.jpgAnd below is a famous painting by Juan Luna entitled "The Parisian Life". theparisianlifebyjuanlu.jpgThis painting was purchased at an auction in Hong Kong and caused a controversy over the price paid, the powers to be at the time thought buying art was wasteful, even if it was by one of the most famous of the Filipino painters who helped promote the cause of Filipino independence and nationhood.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

All I can say on the matter is if "someone collects art" ... Jake is gonna be p*ssed ......

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted
I am wondering if Art is in the culture of the Filipinos. Do they collect Art as some westerners do? :attention: :hystery:
If I remember correctly, not too many art museums, science technology buildings or museums of historyand artifacts can be found in any major cities in PI. Possibly in high end university campuses or in deepcatacombs of ancient Spanish cathedrals.Collecting art is like investing/preserving for the future. Generally speaking, not in the Filipino's blood.Respectfully -- Jake

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

Jake, that's not true! My wife's parents had some very nice antique beer posters on their wall when I first visited them. I wish my father-in-law had some of the old coke-cola posters and gear from when he worked for a Coke distributor years ago. That might be worth some money on eBay.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well here in Cebu we have a number of museums ... he best one I know of is Sugbo Museum ...... it is outstanding with something for everyone from the beginnings of the Philippines to the presidents and plants (beautiful pictures) and flora found in the Phils ..... I would highly recommend it to anyone .... it is on MJ Cuenco and used to be the old city jail ..... they also have a large section of WW II stuff for military buffs like me ...

• Like 3