Boxer Pacquiao 'embarrassed' By Mayweather Offer

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
http://ph.news.yahoo...-034300007.htmlBoxer Pacquiao 'embarrassed' by Mayweather offerManny Pacquiao says the pieces were falling into place for a world title fight with Floyd Mayweather until the American boxer tried to low-ball him on the split of the pay-per-view revenue.Pacquiao said he called Mayweather personally to try to broker a deal for a world championship fight and thought they had an agreement until Mayweather brought up the pay per view.Mayweather said he would give Pacquiao a $40 million lump-sum payment if Pacquiao agreed to let Mayweather keep the pay per view earnings for himself."It was embarrassing to me," Pacquiao said Tuesday. "He was trying to take advantage of me. It is clear he didn't want to fight."Some experts have estimated that the pay per view could be around $160 million.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Hey! For $40 mil? I can take a beating as good as the next guy! :mocking:

volstateguy
Posted
Posted

I think if Mayweather was serious about wanting a fight, he would stop asking for ridiculous demands. Last time around it was all the blood tests, and now he's trying to cheat Manny out of money. Yes $40 million is a heck of lot, but Mayweather wants to keep $160 million from pay per view to himself. How is that a fair deal? I think Mayweather is just offer a deal that he knows Manny won't accept, so he can say its Manny who doesn't want the fight.

• Like 4

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well I'll not make a comment here as I don't believe in having to be PC ..... and I'm to old to start now ..... but Manny should just tell him to shove it where the sun don't shine ......

• Like 2

Bundy
Posted
Posted

It"s conceiveable both boxers have been doing their share of ducking and weaving. Both are regarded as the best there is and so if their paths do meet, then one of them is going to become a loser. That's a HUGE gamble to take for two fighters with superb records near the end of their careers.Just my own humble opinion but i think Mayweather would be taking the greater risk because i just can't see him beating Manny.

• Like 3

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

Yes, both are at the end of their games and both should be happy to have a huge payday. I read elsewhere that Manny offered a split on the take (after a large lump sum) of 55 percent to the winner and 45 percent to the loser. That seemed quite fair and plenty of incentive to give their best shot. I would think a 60/40 split for winner and loser would be fine in my book. Unless one guy knew he was going to lose ahead of time.Manny, whom I have admired for a long time, needs to retire. His last fight was not the sterling mastery of the ring he used to show. One of these days in the not too far future, he's going to go down to some opponent and the big paydays will disappear. That said, Mayweather's offer of 40 million and none of the pay per view is pretty one-sided. To me Mayweather is either greedy or scared, or maybe both.

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

PEOPLE!!! You are taking things for 'face value' and not understanding what is going on here. 1. Manny has avoided the fight on the drug testing issue for quite some time. Why? who REALLY knows / cares? ... but as a nurse, I took many drug tests and I will take one NOW if needed! Manny adopts the same ... take one now and any time attitude... then no issue! But Manny wants an 'issue' because it adds to the flavor to the fight. It is just advertizing. As for the money split... all just a game to which Manny has now added in a personal 'embarrassed me' factor.... all on script. Neither one is a fool. 40 mil or 160 mil.... = NOTHING if no fight! Both know this.....So it is just hype for the dumb(er) fans.Now how about that Harry Potter deal.... (WHAT? Is Bruce crazy?) who remembers a few years ago that the author 'let slip' (sure....) that a main charector was going to die in the upcoming book / movie.... PRICELESS advertizing! FREE...STUPID and yes, you can quote me.... STUPID fans bought it hook line and sinker.... mass blog entries, internet petitions.... news articles.... all because of the STUPID public's inability to see a ad hook and say... good one! I will wait for the book / movie.... OH PLEASE don't kill HARRY! We love Harry! hehehehehe that little ad campaign (FREE) added MILLIONS of $$$$$ in sales!Now, read the above and remove the name Harry Potter and put in Manny / Floyd...... my grandfather used to see my grand mother get all worked up over some TV show... and he would say... It is JUST a story.....So fight fans....... It is JUST a story!

Edited by Bruce

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

I bet you think professional wrestling is fixed too! :dance:

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted
I bet you think professional wrestling is fixed too! :dance:
:nudie:Well, when ever in the presence of a 'professional wrestler' NEVER say anything like that!I believe that currently the PC word (so you will not get smacked) is 'choreographed'.Just because it is 'fake' does not mean that a 300 pound fool on steroids CAN'T hurt you if he wanted to..... nice fella, good boy... wanna cookie????
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I don't know much about boxing but when that kind of money is involved or more money can be had by hyping an event figure those in the background are pulling the strings. Don't you think Manny and Mayweather are repeating what they have being told to say?