Cardiovascular Surgeon

retired
Posted
Posted

An expat friend here in Cagayan de Oro has some cardiovascular problems with his legs and he is not comfortable with the options available here . Just wondering if anyone on board has had any experience with , direct or indirect , with doctors within that field either in Cebu or elsewhere within the Philippines ?Thanks for any input

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

I went under the knife of Dr. Tecson at Baguio City's Notre Dame Hospital. He did laparoscopy, though it was for a gall bladder problem, not cardiovascular. A graduate of St. Louis Medical School here in Baguio City, he's also trained in the USA. I had zero problems recovering, the hospitals new wing is quite comfortable though it's in the downtown area.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I'll get some names from my RN sister in law those doctors would be in the Cebu City or Manila area.

retired
Posted
Posted

Tatoosh , thanks for sharing your experience . To be frank my friend is sacred and i have advised him to research Manila options as well as returning to his home country but he is a stubborn cuss . :-)

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

In terms of comfort of travel, Manila or Cebu is much better. I am sure there are quite capable doctors in Cebu and Manila. On the other hand, I like Dr T a lot. An amiable, well spoken guy who simply oozes competence. But if Chong Hua Hospital is closer, that would be my first choice and St Lukes would be my second due to the more distant travel. I've never been in either, but know people who have.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I just talked to my sister she said that Doctor has retired. Sorry.

• 1 month later...
Brucewayne
Posted
Posted (edited)

I am sorry to point this out, but Dr.'s hospital in Mactan is the only hospital in Cebu that is qualified to do heart transplants and since most of the doctors there are foreign trained, they are also the only hospital I would go to for any serious problem.I wouldn't take my dog to any of the other hospitals here.

Edited by Brucewayne
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

The Perpetual Succour Hospital also houses the Cebu Heart Institute which is suppose to be quite good as well. Interestingly yesterday I had an appointment for a Cardio followup as well as the decision to be made on if I would retain my "Canadian Tire Kick Start" (also known as a defibulator) or if I should have it removed prior to my moving to the Philippines later this year. I wish I had written down all the contacts my Cardio Surgeon (of MacMaster University Medical - a world leading Medical Research and Teaching Insitute) and also my defibulator expert (from St Jude's) had made for me if I decided to keep my CTCKS. I do remember all their personally recommended contacts were at either the Perpetual Succour Hospital or at Dr's Hospital. I will probably be seeing my other doctor (I think they call his specialty Preventative Cardio?) in the not too distant future and will ask him for a list of his recommendations at that time. And, just if you were wondering? Since I have improved to the point that, if I had come in off the street today, a defibulator would not even be considered! So I should be a few ounces lighter soon! No more "Canadian Tire Kick Start" for me!!!

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
And, just if you were wondering? Since I have improved to the point that, if I had come in off the street today, a defibulator would not even be considered! So I should be a few ounces lighter soon! No more "Canadian Tire Kick Start" for me!!!
Thanks for the research Bob.I have slightly reduced but still barely in the normal range heart function after a small heart attack 2 years ago, one where nothing corrective could be done since the blockage was in a heart artery too small for a stent or angioplasty. I am looking forward to retiring to the philippines in the next year which will hopefully reduce stress and give me no excuses for not getting the necessary exercise for heart health. Yeah, thats the ticket, more horizontal workouts. ;)
  • Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I am sorry to point this out, but Dr.'s hospital in Mactan is the only hospital in Cebu that is qualified to do heart transplants and since most of the doctors there are foreign trained, they are also the only hospital I would go to for any serious problem.I wouldn't take my dog to any of the other hospitals here.
That's quite a statement, especially to someone planning or considering retirement here and facing the usual age-related medical problems we will all eventually face (if we're lucky to live that long).How did you arrive at this conclusion and by "here" are you referring to the entire nation of the Philippines or is it area-specific to all the hospitals in Cebu?
  • Like 1