13A Permanent Resident Visa Costs

Garpo
Posted
Posted

I came to the Philippines in September of 2010 on just the extended tourist visa. I was married to my Filipina bride in March of 2011. I have delayed getting my 13a permanent visa because first of all I hate going anywhere near Manila and second because there was a question as to us maybe going back to the US for about 5 more years before full retirement. I now have decide that I am wasting money on extended visa fees but when I checked at the local immigration office here in Bataan I was shocked to find out that it cost about 20,000 peso for the 13a process. I have looked at the fees on the immigration web site and am very confused as to where they are getting the 20k price. Any of you that have got your 13a care to let me know the costs?

• Like 1

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

I am just finishing up my 13a. Twenty thousand is likely the total involved in a year long process that requires two interviews, a lot of waiting, a fair amount of making nice, and visiting Manila (or maybe Cebu) a number of times. It is not designed for your convenience. See their website for the fees involved. You may get whacked with some shipping costs if you have to send papers (I had to show a photocopy of my updated ACR-I card). Note that they do have a free notary in the Manila office so you do not have to spend money on that, so ignore the hawkers outside. You will make multiple visits to get your initial 13a probationary visa, one year later (start after 10 months) you do it all again for the permanent 13a visa. The charges are here: http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=106&Itemid=43

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I got mine a few years ago so my price wouldn't correct but it did seem to end up close to that for both the temp (1 year) and the permanent one ..... I could except the 20,000p as it saved me more than that in visa fees plus having to go down there every 3 months or so ..... now here is the nasties involved with getting the 13a ....... before I went down I had heard of all kinds of stuff about the fees charged by the BI attorneys for their (POSTAGE & FILING FEE) ...... that could range from 10,000p to 30,000p ...... we were lucky in the fact that when we went down they were right in the middle of a big scandal involving this and several persons were removed from office here and a BI lawyer was sent down from Manila to fill in until it could be straightened out ...... to make a long story short he was extremely nice and helpful but took his job seriously ..... I have sense heard that it may have gone back to the old way ..... but I can't say for sure ...... better to talk to some one who just filed to be sure ...... if they will tell you honestly as some are to embarrassed to admit they were scammed ...... IMHO

• Like 3

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Garpo,Since you're not ready yet for a 13a, just take a short inexpensive trip to Hong Kong with your new bride and return with a BB stamp good for a free one year stay! I've been doing it for the past 13 yrs now, but once I get my Dual Citizenship this year, I won't have to do the "Balikbayan Program" anymore! You can always go back to the U.S. and process your 13a there with a lot less hassle before returning to the Philippines for retirement when you're both ready to return!

Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 5

Americano
Posted
Posted

My first 13A was approved so I went to Immigration day. No one tried to scam me. Maybe they knew better since I usually go straight in the office. I don't have to play around with those windows since everyone knows me and why I'm there. Soon, fat man will know too. Today I paid 7,700 plus to get my ACR card.

• Like 2

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm truly baffled about this 13a/g permanent resident visa application process! So far, every story I've read here and on other forums, one price doesn't seem to fit all! I've read and heard people paying from P10,000 up to P50,000 per person! Why is that? Is it because that it's different for each country one is from or a so called agent or fixer charged them too much? And it also happens to Fil/Ams applying for their 13g visa or Dual citizenship for themselves and their family members using an agent or fixer due to complicated document matters! Visa extensions aren't any problem unless one wants to exceed the normal stay! :thumbsup:

Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Art ... I think it has to do with who does your paperwork ..... an agency or fixer will charge you more ...... if you have to pay for EXTRA services from certain officials at the BI it will cost you more ...... let me see if I can find out some info for you from my budget back then but it will be a few years ago ..... give me a bit and I will post the costs ...... :mocking:

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Now that you mention it, Art, I think that is what was bothering me about this one... Without going back right now to read it all over again, I think you're right! Different prices? Oh, I am gonna have to go back over everything one more time... OW!

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

IMO, if one has the time and patience and all the appropriate required legal documents and forms in hand, knows his or her way around any of the immigration application process, one can do it all on their own without the assistance of an agent or fixer aka scammers standing by outside of any of the BI offices, there fore not get gauged for an unreasonable amount of money! Actually there are signs now posted everywhere to be aware and avoid fixers! Only use a reputable agent to assist you as a last resort! Been there and done all that long long time ago, but it won't be our last!

• Like 3

Jerry Lynch
Posted
Posted

NEW FOR 2008 MCL-08Republic of the Philippines Department of Justice*BUREAU OF IMMIGRATION*Manila*MCL-08**NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS/PETITIONERS*To avoid the summary denial / delay of your applications/petition, please be advised of the following:1. Al sworn statements or affidavits must be duly notarized.2. Documents executed outside the Philippines must be authenticated by the Philippine embassy/consulate official of he Philippines Foreign Service at the place of issuance or place nearest to it, with English translation, if written in other foreign language. Any document executed within the Philippines must be duly certified by the offices having official custody of the originals.3. All documents required for submission must be arranged in the order as listed hereunder; otherwise your application or petition can not be processed immediately.**CHECKLIST OF DOCUMENTARY REQUIREMENTS****FOR APPLICANTS FOR CONVERSION TO NON-QUOTA IMMIGRANT BY MARRIAGE** 1. ( ) Duly notarized letter of application by the Filipino spouse.2. ( ) General Application Form duly accompanied and notarized (BI Form No. MCL-07-01).3. ( ) NSO authenticated copy of birth certificate of Filipino spouse and certified copy of the ID as Filipino Citizen issued by BID.4. ( ) NSO authenticated copy of the Marriage Contract of alien and Filipino spouse or authenticated by the Philippine embassy/consulate nearest to or in the place where the marriage was solemnized.5. ( ) Bureau of Immigration (BI) clearance certificate; and6. ( ) Plain Photocopy of the passport of foreign national’s spouse showing applicants bio-page, admission stamp and authorized stay of at least twenty (20) calendar days from date of filing.CERTIFICATION*This is to certify that the documents submitted in support of the application/petition for____________________________________________ are complete and in orderBUREAU OF IMMIGRATIONLegal Officer of the Day________________________________________________________________________________________________Signature over printed name and date.*Conversion to Non-quota Immigrant by Marriage 13aDefinition:This visa is issued to a foreigner on the basis of his valid marriage to a Philippine citizen.Who Can Apply?To qualify for this visa, the applicant must prove that :

• he contracted a valid marriage with a Philippine citizen;
  • the marriage is recognized under existing Philippine laws;
  • there is no record of any derogatory information against him in any local or foreign law enforcement agency;
  • he is not afflicted with any dangerous, contagious or loathsome disease;
  • he has sufficient financial capacity to support a family and will not become a public charge;
  • he was allowed lawful entry into the Philippines by immigration authorities; and
  • he has not been institutionalized for any mental disability.

Requirements: SEE ABOVEBreakdown of 13A Visa requirements and fees.13(A) VISA FEES PDF Print Fee for section 13(a) initial one year probationary period: 1.Upon filingApplication fee P1,010.00*Express lane fee P500.00TOTAL P1,510.002.Upon implementationACR and form fee P1,050.00Change of status fee P600.00Passport visa fee P200.00CRTV and form fee P1,450.00Implementation fee P1,000.00Legal research fee per item P10.00Head tax P250.00TOTAL P4,560.00Fees for amendment of 13(a) visa from probationary to permanent resident: 1.Upon filing Application fee P 1,010.00*Express lane fee P500.00TOTAL P1,510.002.Upon approval / implementationPassport visa fee P200.00Amendment fee P500.00Immigration Certificate of Registration (ICR) and form P1,450.00Implementation fee P500.00Legal research fee P40.00Express lane fee P500.00TOTAL P3,190.00~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~PREVIOUS REQUIREMENTS:1. Letter of application2. General application form duly accomplished and notarized (BI form No. RBR 98-01)3. 2×2 picture to be attached to the application form4. Birth certificate of applicant/Filipino spouse. In the absence of B.C., the applicant(s) may submit the following instead:Certificate of the Local Civil Registrar or the National Statistics Office of its loss or unavailability;Any public document, which will establish the Filipino citizenship of the spouseAffidavit of two (2) disinterested persons indicating nationality of parents of the Filipino spouse, birthplace (of Filipino spouse) and birth date of applicant5. True copy of the Marriage Contract of the applicant and the Filipino spouse6. Certificate of legal capacity to contract marriage issued by the Embassy or Consulate (of alien spouse) or official family registry with authentic interpretation as certified by the Philippine Embassy or Consulate7. Joint affidavit of legal capacity to contract marriage, stating any previous marriage(‘s) and the manner by which the marriage was dissolved8. If alien spouse was previously married, a duly authenticated true copy of the divorce decree, dissolution of marriage or death certificate, as the case may be9. True copy of Birth Certificate of minor unmarried children under 21 years of age, if any 10. Joint affidavit of financial capacity and support executed by the applicant and the alien spouse with supporting documents showing capacity to support themselves11. Medical Certificate from the Bureau of Quarantine that alien spouse and unmarried children are not afflicted with any contagious, dangerous and loathsome disease12. AIDS Certificate (Clearance)13. Clearance from the central government agency of the applicant’s country or place of residence, regarding any criminal record the applicant may have, duly authenticated by the Philippine Embassy or Consulate in or closest to the applicant’s country14. NBI (National Bureau of Investigation) Clearance15. BI Intelligence Clearance16. Copy of passport of alien spouse and children showing date of arrival and validity of stay17. Official Receipt of payment of visa fees Note: All foreign documents or those documents executed or issued outside the Philippines must be properly authenticated by officers in the appropriate foreign service post (i.e. Philippine Embassy or Consular Office).Permanent Resident Visa 13 (a)I am an alien whose country has an immigration reciprocity agreement with the Philippines.I am also married to a Filipina.Am I qualified to apply for a permanent residence visa?Yes, under the Philippine Immigration Act of 1940, Section 13 (a) you are eligible for permanent residency in the Philippines. This visa is issued to an alien on the basis of his valid marriage to a Philippine citizen. To qualify for this visa, the applicant must prove that: * He contracted a valid marriage with a Philippine citizen. (marriage license)* The marriage is recognized as valid under existing Philippine laws.* There is no record of any derogatory information against him in any local or foreign law enforcement agency. (FBI or local police or NBI clearance needed)* He is not afflicted with any dangerous, contagious or loathsome disease. (Medical exam needed)* He has sufficient financial capacity to support a family and will not become a public burden.* He was allowed entry into the Philippines and was authorized by Immigration authorities to stay. NOTE: This visa is only available to citizens of a country which grants permanent residence and immigration privileges to Philippine citizens.How can I apply for 13 (a) visa?Ask for an application form (Form number RBR 98-01) from the Public Assistance Unit of the Office of the Commissioner Window One (1) or from the Makati Extension Office and accomplish the form properly. If you will be accompanied by your unmarried minor children they must fill up a separate form. NOTE: form RBR-98 is a checklist. Form RBR 98-01 is the application. It can be downloaded here (you will need Adobe Acrobat 7.0 or better.All documents to support your application must be properly certified as true copy. Sworn statements or affidavits should be notarized. Foreign documents must be duly authenticated by the Philippine Embassy or Consulate at the place where they are issued.You may submit the duly accomplished application form with the supporting documents to window (1) located at the ground floor of the main building of the Bureau of Immigration or to the Makati Extension Office. NOTE: Filing fee should first be paid before an application is filed.Filing Papers for PermanentResident Visa, 13A , Procedures, Ease, Time InvolvedThe paperwork involved in applying for the 13(a) visa here is not particularly onerous. There is, however, quite a lot of time involved and visits to various departments to get NBI clearance, Barangay Clearanceand statement that you are really living as man and wife, Health clearance/ X-ray, as well as various notarized affidavits regarding your financial capacity to support, etc.The various notaries camped outside the Bureau of Immigration will have all the requiredaffidavits down pat and will type them up for you and notarize them.The costs involved in notarizing are around P50 per sheet of paper, so a few hundred pesos will cover that lot.After you submit all the paperwork you have to wait for several weeks until you receive the call to attend an interview with your wife. She will be questionedmainly to determine whether she really wants you to be a resident.After that there will be a further wait of several weeks until thevisa is granted after your application is sighted and approved by the Board of Commissioners.This first application process will grant youa probationary 13(a) visa for one year. You will then have to submit another, simplified, application in one year. The fees are not really excessive, but the process can be a little tiresome and you will need patience.A Balikbayan visa is only given if you arrive here in the Philippines together with your Philippine spouse. You will have to ask for it so you should approach the immigration counter together. It will allow you to stay for one year without requiring extensions. After that period you must leave the Philippines. You can return the same day and start the process again.NOTE: That there is no such thing as a yearly visa that you can apply for abroad, similar to Balikbayan. You can apply for a one year validity multiple entry tourist visa. This will enable you to come and go for one year without applying for further visas. You WILL need to extend your stay after 59 days on each visit however, same as for every tourist visa. The three months, or one year, refers to the validity of the visa not the length of stay you will be granted. There are other visas which are outside the scope of this thread and which entail large financial outlays. The initial probationary 13(a) visa process takes about 3 months and then apply for the permanent 13(a) visa about one month before the expiry of the probationary visa. The processing of the final visa is slightly quicker. There is no need to worry about extending visas once the Bureau of Immigration has your application in hand. Unless of course they reject it for some reason.Once you have all the paperwork together it is checked anyway before you can submit it and any shortcomings will be pointed out to you so that it is unlikely that you will submit an incomplete application.Spouse’s letter – example 1 - in .txt format.Spouse’s letter – example 2 - in .txt format.Spouse’s letter – example 3 - IN .txt format.

• Like 5