To Retire At 56? Or Rough It Out...

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Sometimes trying to relax here can be very hard work just like bob said.

a little song from the SMURFS well one verse anyway. post-2148-0-98457200-1429678068_thumb.jp

We are busy doing nothing,

Working the whole day through,

Finding lots of things not to do. 

Mary keeps the Garden,

Tidy as you like,

Ear, Carl and Granddad,

Decided to take a hike.

Johnny never made it, though,

Cos he never found his bike.

Chorus.

OH! here we are again happy as can be, all good fun and Jolly Company we found lots of things to do but just not for me.

cos we're 

busy doing nothing  working the whole day through yes finding lot's of things NOT to Do.

You just have to keep the mind Active :thumbsup:

JP  :tiphat:  :cheers:  LOL Is it Beer time yet?

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Schooling for my wife here in the states seemed unreasonable for the return on the investment and time investment. The economy being as it is, stiff competition for any kind of work that payed anything, I decided an education from the Philippines would have to do. I felt I could help her get the right tools to be competitive if and when things got better with the job market.
Phils are short of SOME types educated in Phils, but most get higher exams "to UNemployment" or have to become OFW, which I don't count as a good goal. But some employers demand high exams for SIMPLE NOT high exam needing jobs, so it's SOME advantage to have a high exam.

INSTEAD I will put the education money at starting a family business, which give work possibility to kids too   :)   when they grow up, and teach my wife so she can handle it.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)

Sometimes trying to relax here can be very hard work just like bob said.

a little song from the SMURFS well one verse anyway. attachicon.gifsmurfs.jpg

We are busy doing nothing,

Working the whole day through,

Finding lots of things not to do. 

Mary keeps the Garden,

Tidy as you like,

Ear, Carl and Granddad,

Decided to take a hike.

Johnny never made it, though,

Cos he never found his bike.

Chorus.

OH! here we are again happy as can be, all good fun and Jolly Company we found lots of things to do but just not for me.

cos we're 

busy doing nothing  working the whole day through yes finding lot's of things NOT to Do.

You just have to keep the mind Active :thumbsup:

JP  :tiphat:  :cheers:  LOL Is it Beer time yet?

I know that is supposed to be a picture of our last meeting  but I don`t know which one is you /me or DH pray tell and put my mind at rest.The answer to your question is  no stock sir please wait a while. Keep the grey matter working people so you can relax. BTW I don`t have blonde hair

Edited by sonjack2847

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Gee...  Retire at 56?  That's a tough question...

(I retired the first time at 36 but, by having a ton of vacation time saved up, actually stopped working a few months after turning 35)

:mocking:  :dance:  :hystery:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

do we ever really retire.post-2148-0-24651700-1429775534_thumb.jp or do we dream post-2148-0-66848700-1429775568_thumb.jp

On the Other hand  Start a little Sorry Sorry store post-2148-0-76738400-1429775702_thumb.jp

Just saying. :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

Gee...  Retire at 56?  That's a tough question...

(I retired the first time at 36 but, by having a ton of vacation time saved up, actually stopped working a few months after turning 35)

:mocking:  :dance:  :hystery:

I went out at 56, about on my birthday. One complication, I see, that if you change your mind, it's hard/impossible to get back in.

I have not worked in 9 years, but I have pensions coming in. I spent a bundle, got scammed out of some, my own fault.

I say get out early and enjoy yourself, you never, ever know.

• Like 5

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

do we ever really retire.attachicon.gifretire.jpg or do we dream attachicon.gifretire bikes.jpg

On the Other hand  Start a little Sorry Sorry store attachicon.gifretire shop.jpg

Just saying. :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:

Jack, your a crafty bugger di ba. Sitting there with a big smile, how many Stallions= RH, does your wife give you in a day, :cheersty:  ergo, no profit.

Poor girl, you probably have her working like a slave in back :no:  :no:

Some guys have all the luck. I let Gina wash all my clothes by hand, just to prove her love.

Edited by chris49

Thomas
Posted
Posted
On the Other hand Start a little Sorry Sorry store retire shop.jpg
Working some after retirement age can be good for SOME people depending of what we LIKE.

My father "retired" as early as he could, because he got tired of his stupid boss, but he stayed very active by e g training working dogs.

His father went on working above age 70 in an own clock shop and repair just because he liked to meet people   :)

My other grandfather worked full time during high seasons selling lorry loads of seeds, egg producing chickens and such to farmers, until he was 90. I believe he didn't realy like to work, but did it partly depending of he wanted to be useful - and I believe he liked the money too   :) although he had enough -  but mainly because he hadn't understood he was old  :lol:   He counted YOUNGER people than himself being TO OLD to be with for him :nudie:  (My 81 year old mother is some similar. She retired at normal age, because my parents wanted to move away from city. She has just STARTED understanding she isn't 18 no more, but now and then she FORGET it and showel heavy snow and such  :dance:

Myself I don't realy like most types of work (some can be interesting challenges), but I plan to work some above 70 anyway, to prepare a family business to solve employment problem and get earning for my wife and kids after I retire and have died.

But UNDEPENDING of work anything or not, I think it's important to DO anything interesting/funny activating body and brain.

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Jack, you look older than you write.  Must be tne lighting.

Ynot
Posted
Posted

Spent the morning reading through this (slow reader) and it has been interesting.  What it highlights is that everyone is different and have different needs, but one thing that has come through is that the majority of the people who made the decision to retire earlier, did not regret it.  Without exception they all said they would not do anything different if they had an opportunity to do so.

We could all work longer and earn more for our retirement, but at the end of the day you must decided when the day is right to retire.  Im 58 in June, and have been thinking of retiring in 2017 when I'm 60 but have also thought about working through to 62 or 63 when my super will be that much bigger (cant access aged pension until 67) but what I would be doing by working through to 62 or 63 is trading in valuable retired time when I am able to do stuff then as opposed to waiting until later when possibly the quality of life is not as good.  So Ive decided its better to enjoy life sooner rather than postpone it when your lifestyle may not be as rich.  Yes, it may mean I will not have as much, but i will have sufficient to provide me with a good lifestyle compared to many others.

• Like 2