To Retire At 56? Or Rough It Out...

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Now if the OP was an American Citizen, I would advise that he works into his 70's. (so the pot of money that I draw from social security keeps getting added to) :dance:  

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Now if the OP was an American Citizen, I would advise that he works into his 70's. (so the pot of money that I draw from social security keeps getting added to)   

:unsure:  Yeah but Scott, there may well be a lot more by then to dip their Beaks in  :rolleyes:

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

The Thing that absolutely amazes me about living on a Fixed income is that it costs more when you try and save Money :thumbsup:

No matter how hard I try and save by cutting down on a few things it just costs more, WHY? I ask myself.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

I had the same doubts as you, then the 2008 crash wiped out a lot of my assets and future income

I could never understand why so many people lost their life savings, I had all my assets in stocks when it turned in 2008, but kept it invested and just bought more. My returns have more than doubled since then...

"The only way you get hurt on a roller coaster is if you jump off..."

I also kept my stocks but my expensive house dropped substantially, my company hurt a lot and another company that I had a considerable investment in went kaput.

"The only way you get hurt on a roller coaster is if you jump off..."  Tell that to the people who were on that ride in Alton towers!

Thomas
Posted
Posted

"The only way you get hurt on a roller coaster is if you jump off..."

How True, if the money People did not take a gamble, our pension pots would be worth Little. :unsure:

Well. That's true WHEN they do it good   :)

Many years ago were a test made when the results of a group of "experts" where compared to

the result of investment "decisions" the MONKEY "Ola" made by throwing darts.  The monkey WONN   :hystery:

stevewool
Posted
Posted

50,000 English pounds in the bank is still 50,000 year in year out, 50,000 in investments could go up could go down, I am not brave , i like to see that i still have the 50,000 year in year out,

Yes i will never be that rich but i know i shall never be poor, just my thinking

• Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted

My brother is a retired investment analyst and he doesn't play the markets. When I asked for some advice, his only suggestion was to put some of my capital into a U.S. dollar account. I'm with you Steve on this, I've worked too hard to gamble with my money. What I have is enough for the retirement lifestyle I am now living, which is the one I have always wanted. With, of course, the emergency lump sum tucked away.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
50,000 English pounds in the bank is still 50,000 year in year out, 50,000 in investments could go up could go down, I am not brave , i like to see that i still have the 50,000 year in year out,
Yes. But even if the inflation is only 3 % per year, that 50 000 will only be worth 40 000 after 7 years allready...  :)  
My brother is a retired investment analyst and he doesn't play the markets. When I asked for some advice, his only suggestion was to put some of my capital into a U.S. dollar account.
Does he believe USD will go on to be strong?? 

I DON'T say it will not, because I haven't followed the US economy that detailed recently, but isn't the loans to big and the Trade ballance negative still?

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I have only just retired here so my money at this time is in a normal savings account. After the stress of a property sale I just wanted to relax for a few months. However, I will be visiting the UK for a few weeks in October, which is when I will be making my fiscal arrangements. I will also be visiting my brother, he lives in France, and glean more from him over a glass of a rather fine Bordeaux. I should be better placed then to answer your question Thomas.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Does he believe USD will go on to be strong??

It most likely will for the rest of my lifetime,,,,,and that is what matters :nudie:

• Like 1