Is There A Quiet Place To Live?

Victoria
Posted
Posted

I have been living in Cebu for just over three years. Most of that time, I lived close to Cebu City. Six months ago I moved to Olango Island. I love it here. It's quiet (I NEVER hear a rooster!); there's no pollution rent is VERY cheap; and my place is right on the beach. The drawbacks? It takes nearly three hours and several modes of transportation to get to Cebu to run errands; there are no real stores here; there are no land lines here, so it's cell phone and wireless internet all the way. Sometimes they work well; sometimes they don't.I'm thinking that I need to move back to Cebu, but not so close to the city. I'm a Catholic nun.... a hermit really..... so I would be looking for a two bedroom house (need a room to serve as a chapel) in a VERY quiet location. I don't really know a whole lot about areas of the island of Cebu away from the city, but think that these are the places I will need to be looking. If you have ideas, please do let me know.

scianna54
Posted
Posted

I agree with your concerns and here is my experience: Condo living - I owned a condo at city lights, it was so quiet, you didn't even realize that you are in the Philippines.Since you need a house, it may be more difficult and depending on your finances. We own a house here and it is on a dead end street with only residential houses on the road, mostly it is very quiet.I also found more quiet area in towns north and south of Cebu City, just last week we drove to the Hidden Mountain Resort in San Fernando and the way up there was nice and fairly quiet.May I therefore suggest to drive around and scout out areas you like, I am sure you can find something which fits you with some time.

Jake
Posted
Posted
I have been living in Cebu for just over three years. Most of that time, I lived close to Cebu City. Six months ago I moved to Olango Island. I love it here. It's quiet (I NEVER hear a rooster!); there's no pollution rent is VERY cheap; and my place is right on the beach. The drawbacks? It takes nearly three hours and several modes of transportation to get to Cebu to run errands; there are no real stores here; there are no land lines here, so it's cell phone and wireless internet all the way. Sometimes they work well; sometimes they don't.I'm thinking that I need to move back to Cebu, but not so close to the city. I'm a Catholic nun.... a hermit really..... so I would be looking for a two bedroom house (need a room to serve as a chapel) in a VERY quiet location. I don't really know a whole lot about areas of the island of Cebu away from the city, but think that these are the places I will need to be looking. If you have ideas, please do let me know.
Welcome aboard Sister Victoria. I zoomed in your paradise of Olango Island using Google Earth.Very impressive with pristine beaches, colorful reefs and a vast area of bird sanctuary. I'm suremy fellow members will assist you shortly but in the meantime, enjoy our forum.Respectfully -- Jake
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Welcome Sister! I hope you find our forum very helpful!My girlfriend is from a place called Lutopan which she loves and it is suppose to be very quiet. I cannot personally confirm this as I am waiting until September for my first time to enter the Philippines. Lutopan is considered to be part of Toledo City but is in the mountains whereas Toledo is on the coast. As another member stated previously on another post, there isn't much in Lutopan. My girlfriend has told me it is about 40 minutes by bus to Cebu and I believe Toledo City proper is easily accessible. I hope this may help and the other members will probably have many other suggestions as well.

Garpo
Posted
Posted (edited)

Welcome to the forum Sister Victoria. Many of of our members have a lot of knowledge of the Cebu and surrounding area. I am sure that you will get some helpful assistance here.

Edited by Garpo

volstateguy
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Sister Victoria.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I thought I could be of help, but the quiet place I live is not in Cebu. When I hear complaints from people about noise, it is almost always near Cebu.However, if Olango island is too isolated for you, there are other quiet, rural places with basic necessities nearby. I know because I live in one. It was so quiet here last night that when the power went out at 2am I did not start the generator so as not to break the tranquility of the night. (That plus I still don't have a plug for the darned thing.)

• Like 2

ancienrocka
Posted
Posted

Hi Victoria,Good to know that you are still well.As some people have already said, often normally busy parts of the city have little pockets of quiet. I would take a trip up the coast road from Liloan to Sogod and look around - it's a pretty run and there are many little hamlets on the route; some near the ocean and some inland and up in the hills.Keep an eye out for the date of the Forum gathering, we would love to have you there - no need for the rest of you to worry, Sister Victoria is not your typical nun and is an interesting and very worldly person who does not talk exclusively about religion.

• Like 4

Victoria
Posted
Posted

I'm not concerned about the isolation. I actually love living here. What does have me concerned is how many modes of transportation and the time it takes to get to Cebu..... nearly 3 hours most trips (1 way). Also, there is no real medical care here. There's a very small hospital that really is little more than a birthing center. Most real emergencies never make it to the hospital in LapuLapu or Cebu.I will make the final decision as to whether to stay on the island or leave in the next three months. I am simply looking at potential options. By the way..... I knew someone who lived in a condo and two neighbors got roosters and put them out in the parking lot. What is it that there is no zoning here? I would have thought a condo owner would make a rule about that kind of thing.

billten
Posted
Posted

I live in the mountains beside Carcar. If you head up the road (paved road) a little ways you can have all the quiet you want. Finding a decent house is more the problem. The farther you get out, the less well built the houses. I'm afraid you just have to come look around ;-)

• Like 1