Can One Live Comfortably On The Australian Retired Pension

Bundy
Posted
Posted (edited)

Firstly let me just say Hi Roz and :attention: . For information regarding living in the Philippines, you've come to the right place!As our fearless leader has suggested, i also think the first thing you should do is to get yourself down to a centrelink office and ask questions.There seems to be a lot of conflicting information about Aussie pensioners living abroad. We have a friend here in Bundaberg who is in a somewhat similar situation as you. She is a Filipina who lives alone after the death of her husband some ten years ago. She applied and got the old age (sounds terrible doesn't it) pension. She has been spending 6 months of the year in Pardo (a small town on the southern outskirts of Cebu City) and 6 months here in Oz because she was told that her pension would be cut off if she moved permanently to the Philippines.Last we saw her she was preparing for her permanent move home.Seems her pension will now be paid even if she resides in Cebu. Someone else told me that for example, if you apply for the pension and it is granted, you cannot reside anywhere overseas for a period of 2 years from the date that the pension was granted.As i said, lots of conflicting info, better you get the facts straight from the horses mouth.Now, i have not lived in the Philippines for any longer than 6 months at any given time but since 1986 i've spent that much time there that i consider it as my second home he he. The one thing which worries me in your case is medical coverage.As you are aware, once you leave Australia, you are no longer covered by medicare and the Philippines is a country which has a "pay as you go" medical system.Some might say that people with money are asked to pay more if you know what i mean, so you would definitely need to budget for some kind of health insurance.Also being a foreigner and single in the Philippines you will need to budget for visa costs. Having made these two points, on the money you are talking about, yes it would be possible for you to live a very nice quiet life and if you like the beach and are not too bothered about monster shopping malls, then i could suggest anywhere from Carcar down to Alcoy (southern coast of Cebu).Forum member MikeB lives in the area so he would be the one to ask for advice.As for safety, well i would say without a doubt, you would be far safer living in say Argao town Cebu than living in the Gold Coast area of Queensland!In any case a "fact finding mission" may be the first step, Jump on a plane ,go and have a look and see what you think.The very best of luck to you. :attention:

Edited by Bundy
  • Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
....But based on my research so far, that is not enough to live an above standard western life style in Cebu. I am estimating you will need at least $3600 US per month....
You know, I keep hearing that but still find it hard to believe. I make less than $3,000 a month here in Texas. And I raised 2 kids by myself, bought a house, have a new car, and we all go to Disneyworld every year. Then i take 1 or 2 vacations a year without the kids. I'm certainly not rich, and have no savings, but budgeting money is easy.$715 a fortnight is $1430 a month. Unless she is out chasing bar girls I don't think it would be a problem.
  • Like 3

Bundy
Posted
Posted
I am estimating you will need at least $3600 US per month. And if you want to live really nice, I would shoot for $4500. But thats just me. I still like to party.
Fair dinkum! geez, you must party hard!We live on about $1,600 a month here in Australia and that's looking after a house and an investment unit.If i had $4500 a month to spend in the Philippines i'd get a headache.
  • Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

OK about Australia pensionsAustralia informationQuoted from Centrelink site.Leaving Australia permanently

Normally, if you leave Australia permanently you will not be able to continue getting your payment, except for certain pensions. You can continue to get certain payments from Centrelink paid outside Australia if Australia has an agreement with the country you move to. For more information about international social security agreements with particular countries.

Here are some linkshttp://www.centrelin...ment&nav=footerAnd here it shows the Philippines in not on the listhttp://www.centrelin....htm#agreementsAnd this is interesting if you were moving to a country with an agreement with Australia Everyone's circumstances are different and it is not possible to advise the amount that you will receive. However, apart from being affected by your income and assets, the following special rules also apply to these payments.Each country usually pays you a part pension.Foreign pension rates are usually proportional to the length of your social insurance period.Australian pensions are usually paid at a proportional rate outside Australia, and as top up pension inside Australia (i.e. any pension you receive from the country whose agreement you are being paid will generally reduce your Australian pension dollar for dollar).For the Australian pension, some foreign welfare payments are not treated as income.Some agreements allow special treatment of certain pensions paid by that country's social insurance fund.

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
HelloWell first off,if your talking about the normal old age pension from Australia you will find that they will cut you off if you are living in another country permanently. Australians do not enjoy the same as like the Americans and other countries that pay a pension no matter where you live.There is a topic about it here some where and I will search for it later. My advice is to contact Centerlink and ask as things do change but I am sure that is not one of them at the present time. I do recall that there is information on their website but I am too tired to find it just now. :attention:
based on what other pensioners have told me, you can receive the full pension that you are entitled to in Australia for 6 months. If you stay outside Australia after 6 months, that is when your entitlements change.I can't remember if it is 20 or 25 years but you have to have worked in Australia for 20 or 25 years to be entitled to a full pension outside Australia. A Kiwi friend of mine who became an Aussie, only worked for 18 years in Australia. He can get his pension for life outside Australia but it is reduced to 80%.Of course, you will aslo lose pharmaceutical benefits and rent assistance. And, you will also no longer qualify for cheap or no car rego and reduced electrical bills.Regards: Jim

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
I am an Australian female retiree, and am finding the cost of living is too expensive in Australia. I currently live on the Gold Coast. I prefer not to live in the city, preferably near a beach as I swim every day. The Australian pension is $715 per fortnight. I would look to rent to try out if I could live in the Philippines.I am wondering are there any retirees from Australia over there. How safe is Cebu for a single older woman? Also where would you suggest I stay and does anyone do home stays among the expats thanks
I have just checked the CentreLink website. the most you will be entitled to is aud $689 per fortnight or $1492 per month.Aud $1492 per month, by coincidence is about what I need to live in Cebu City. I imagine you will be able to live slightly cheaper than I.I think you should still be considering Cebu City because that is where the quality health care is. You can choose to live outside the city but if you have a sudden major health problem, accept that you will be dead before reaching medical care. I have done this on Leyte. There is a huge hospital several hundred metres up the road from where I rent but all they can provide is tender loving care while they watch me pass away.Relatively speaking, Cebu City is safe.Before committing to anything, I suggest you use your 6 months full pension entitlement to visit the Philippines and make sure it is the place for you.Regards: Jim

Roz
Posted
Posted
HelloWell first off,if your talking about the normal old age pension from Australia you will find that they will cut you off if you are living in another country permanently. Australians do not enjoy the same as like the Americans and other countries that pay a pension no matter where you live.There is a topic about it here some where and I will search for it later. My advice is to contact Centerlink and ask as things do change but I am sure that is not one of them at the present time. I do recall that there is information on their website but I am too tired to find it just now. :tiphat:
I have contacted centrelink and I am okay for moving overseas permanently. But I would try staying there first and prefer not to be in the city.Why is it mainly men going over there?

Roz
Posted
Posted

Yes australian overseas pension is $715 I am entitled to have this permanently without returning. My concern is the loneliness, as always being single and not knowing anyone. I am not wanting aflash life but would like to have my own place eventually. I would have to come over and explore first and saty a few weeks to see if I would like it. Its interesting few western women have chosen to go to the Phillipines.

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
Why is it mainly men going over there?
When you are sleeping on a mat on the floor wondering where your next meal is coming from, permanently living with a fat balding white man may seem to be an improvement. Especially if the fat balding white man will help the rest of the family too!When I first met my ex wife, her family were living in a bamboo house in the squatter area. During big storms, water would come up through the floor. They did have a small hollow block (similar to besser brick) house with no bathroom, 9 km out of town, but they could not afford the transport costs to get to work and school each day so lived in the squatter area.The small hollow block house is now 5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms on 3 levels. They have several other houses, motorbikes, delivery van, pajero four wheel drive and my ex father in law is now the Barangay Captain (village chief)Of course the parents in law are very happy with this fat balding white man and I am still welcome to stay, even though I have been divorced from their daughter for 8 years.If you want to see where they used to live, watch this video of our first meeting in 1994www.philippines-experience.com/videos/newpenpal_long.wmvRegards: Jim

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
My concern is the loneliness, as always being single and not knowing anyone. I am not wanting aflash life but would like to have my own place eventually. I would have to come over and explore first and saty a few weeks to see if I would like it. Its interesting few western women have chosen to go to the Phillipines.
Men have an existing social group. Often considered by western women to be a bit sexist but as we are all similar we generally get along.Many western women find the conditions here too primitive to retire in the Philippines. But there are some. You would also have some socializing through church groups if you are that way inclined. There are many young girls who would look up to a western woman and want to work as a maid or helper for you. I expect it would be a bit tough for a typical western woman and extremely tough for a 'liberated' woman because the attitude here is so much different than in the west.