Can One Live Comfortably On The Australian Retired Pension

scianna54
Posted
Posted (edited)
My concern is the loneliness, as always being single and not knowing anyone. I am not wanting aflash life but would like to have my own place eventually. I would have to come over and explore first and saty a few weeks to see if I would like it. Its interesting few western women have chosen to go to the Phillipines.
Men have an existing social group. Often considered by western women to be a bit sexist but as we are all similar we generally get along.Many western women find the conditions here too primitive to retire in the Philippines. But there are some. You would also have some socializing through church groups if you are that way inclined. There are many young girls who would look up to a western woman and want to work as a maid or helper for you. I expect it would be a bit tough for a typical western woman and extremely tough for a 'liberated' woman because the attitude here is so much different than in the west.
I'd say this is not true. Women have an important role in this country, following statistics, women have more leadership positions in the Philippines than in many Western countries. I see more mayors, governors, senators, business owners here than anywhere in Canada.But as this is a mostly catholic country, going to church and being involved in the community is a must for a single older woman in my opinion. Next would be learning the language.Cost of living depends greatly on where you live and your lifestyle. Keep in mind that you can't buy real estate other than a condo but there are some townhouse projects now which also qualify as condo. Edited by Dave Hounddriver

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted (edited)
....But based on my research so far, that is not enough to live an above standard western life style in Cebu. I am estimating you will need at least $3600 US per month....
You know, I keep hearing that but still find it hard to believe. I make less than $3,000 a month here in Texas. And I raised 2 kids by myself, bought a house, have a new car, and we all go to Disneyworld every year. Then i take 1 or 2 vacations a year without the kids. I'm certainly not rich, and have no savings, but budgeting money is easy.$715 a fortnight is $1430 a month. Unless she is out chasing bar girls I don't think it would be a problem.
Just for your information, just doubling the fourtnightly figure doesn't show the acual monthly return. 52 weeks in a year divided by 2 equals 26. 26 x $715 = $18,590. $18,590 divided by 12 equals fractionally over $1549 per month. I have my wealth in real estate and when an agent tries to sell me a property with a prospective monthly return and not a weekly one, I steer clear of them. Edited by Just Fred

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
an agent tries to sell me a property with a prospective monthly return and not a weekly one, I steer clear of them.
Must be an Australian thing because North America and Philippines use the monthly return.But if you want to be real specific you should be calculating on a monthly or daily return as there are actually 52 weeks plus one day in a normal year and an extra day on a leap year.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
....But based on my research so far, that is not enough to live an above standard western life style in Cebu. I am estimating you will need at least $3600 US per month....
You know, I keep hearing that but still find it hard to believe. I make less than $3,000 a month here in Texas. And I raised 2 kids by myself, bought a house, have a new car, and we all go to Disney World every year. Then i take 1 or 2 vacations a year without the kids. I'm certainly not rich, and have no savings, but budgeting money is easy.$715 a fortnight is $1430 a month. Unless she is out chasing bar girls I don't think it would be a problem.
Just for your information, just doubling the fortnightly figure doesn't show the actual monthly return. 52 weeks in a year divided by 2 equals 26. 26 x $715 = $18,590. $18,590 divided by 12 equals fractionally over $1549 per month. I have my wealth in real estate and when an agent tries to sell me a property with a prospective monthly return and not a weekly one, I steer clear of them.
Mathematically, at 715 per Fortnight, it is 14 x 26 ~ 12 = so There you have it. 1.550 per month, mmmm not bad by PI standards I feel.Jack P. :hystery:

Mike S
Posted
Posted
You know, I keep hearing that but still find it hard to believe. I make less than $3,000 a month here in Texas. And I raised 2 kids by myself, bought a house, have a new car, and we all go to Disneyworld every year. Then i take 1 or 2 vacations a year without the kids. I'm certainly not rich, and have no savings, but budgeting money is easy.$715 a fortnight is $1430 a month. Unless she is out chasing bar girls I don't think it would be a problem.
I think the key here is "live like you do in the west" ....... someone else keeps saying that so I assume that means you have a 2600sq.ft. house ... two or three cars ..... perhaps an RV or two ..... :) ...... I made roughly $45,000 per year or approx. $3750 per month before taxes ..... insurance and SS payments taken out ..... and at $23 per hour I was not on the low end of the pay scale ..... I don't know where some people get the idea you have to retire on what you made in the west ..... I now live (in my estimation) very nicely on my SS retirement and even manage to save a dollar or two ..... it could be more but I do like my gadgets ...... we do have some savings to fall back on in case of emergencies ...... if she has $1430 er month she has pretty close to what we have .... but then I left my Ferrari and mansion behind in the US after all I'm retired ..... and who am I going to impress ..... besides I'm already impressive anyway ........ :lol: :)
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

to add my 2 pesos, we just landed in Manila to get our house ready for our up coming perm move. We just had a great supper from a local eatery. Basically a store front where they cook food and serve it point-point style. 3 servings of rice, 3 each of green pepper torta (americans would call it a chile rellano) 2 servings of beef adobo, and a chicken leg cooked a way we haven't tried before, and 2 mangos for desert. total cost. 240 peso's ($5.71) for a dinner for 2. If one is careful and not extravagant, your money will go far here.

• Like 4