Filipinos In Us Are #2 & #4

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Lee brings up a very valid point why it's so hard for for honest Filipinos to get a visa.
This exact issue has me steamed at the moment. The difficulty in securing a tourist visa for my wife has forced us to give up on living in the Philippines for now. If something were to happen (death in the family, civil unrest, BI problems, etc) and I needed to leave the Philippines, my wife would not be able to go with me. So, we're in the process of applying for her green card so we can live in the US and she can travel back and forth a bit more freely. Once she has dual citizenship in 3-6 years we'll look at moving back to the Philippines.I don't relish moving back to the States but I also don't like the idea of leaving my wife behind if something happens. We need to have an exit strategy that will keep the family together in case something goes wrong here in the Philippines and dual citizenship is really the only sure fire way to do that.The good news is that it takes almost a year to get her green card approved so I've still got some time to enjoy life here.
I am really sorry to hear that and glad you will be around another year or so, and sure I hope you will continue on the forums and keep us up to date on how things are progressing.Yes, it really sucks the way the US treats its own citizens and does not trust us, but that is caused IMO by the many who do not follow the rules and try to cut corners and do it their own way instead of following the law.If the sh*t were to hit the fan here, I believe that you would be able to go to some other countries where visas are not required but surely you should have been able to go home if that were to happened and not letting you is just down right wrong. Maybe you should write to Obama, he says he is going to fix all the problems. SugarwareZ-004.gif Anyway, I think if you have roots such as bank accounts here and a home or condo, then they would probably approve the visa. Just an idea.

TheMason
Posted
Posted (edited)
I am really sorry to hear that and glad you will be around another year or so, and sure I hope you will continue on the forums and keep us up to date on how things are progressing.Yes, it really sucks the way the US treats its own citizens and does not trust us, but that is caused IMO by the many who do not follow the rules and try to cut corners and do it their own way instead of following the law.If the sh*t were to hit the fan here, I believe that you would be able to go to some other countries where visas are not required but surely you should have been able to go home if that were to happened and not letting you is just down right wrong. Maybe you should write to Obama, he says he is going to fix all the problems. SugarwareZ-004.gif Anyway, I think if you have roots such as bank accounts here and a home or condo, then they would probably approve the visa. Just an idea.
I thought about buying a condo here in Baguio or some rice fields in Pampanga to meet the property requirements for a visa. I'm just not sold on the long term stability of the Philippines though. Between the economic crisis and the upcoming elections in 2010 I think the Philippines is about to get very unstable. Getting my wife dual citizenship is going to require changing our plans significantly. We'll have to sacrifice in the short term but once she has her US citizenship our options will increase quite a bit and we can decide where to live based on what we want rather than based on what the govt. will permit us to do. Edited by TheMason

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I thought about buying a condo here in Baguio or some rice fields in Pampanga to meet the property requirements for a visa. I'm just not sold on the long term stability of the Philippines though. Between the economic crisis and the upcoming elections in 2010 I think the Philippines is about to get very unstable. Getting my wife dual citizenship is going to require changing our plans significantly. We'll have to sacrifice in the short term but once she has her US citizenship our options will increase quite a bit and we can decide where to live based on what we want rather than based on what the govt. will permit us to do.
I agree that citizenship is a good way to go and that is what I did with my wife but that also takes time and a cheap condo would mean you live here and help you prove to the US that you would be coming back and have roots. I have no idea what one would cost there, but if a small one cost p1 mil or so and you can make payments, then it might be worth it as long as you can afford it, and you can always rent it out and not live there later on.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

Hey Mr Lee are you getting a cut in these condo sales? :whistling: :th_thholysheep: You are right that if she had significant property in her name it would help to obtain the visa but unfortunately you never know for sure if they will approve it even then. If it is an emergency you don't have time to wait for maybe.It is a real pain how difficult they make it to obtain a VISA but it is not only filipinos who have violated the rules on this stuff. The American sponsors have also pulled some shenanigans in the past. So when you go through the hassle trying to get an aproval just remember it is so difficult because you have been buddy f###ed by those who went before you.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Hey Mr Lee are you getting a cut in these condo sales? :728: :whistling:
:bash: I know you are joking, but to answer anyway, nope, for the time being that is all us non Filipinos can buy. :th_thholysheep: I hope the day comes soon so that we can own land, while I am very happy in our condo and I think that is the way for us to go, I would love to own some land and let some of the wife's family move on it and maybe build a house for us there and lock the doors, so no one decides to take it over from us. SugarwareZ-004.gif :crack-up:

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Hey Mr Lee are you getting a cut in these condo sales? :D :whistling:
:728: I know you are joking, but to answer anyway, nope, for the time being that is all us non Filipinos can buy. :th_thholysheep: I hope the day comes soon so that we can own land, while I am very happy in our condo and I think that is the way for us to go, I would love to own some land and let some of the wife's family move on it and maybe build a house for us there and lock the doors, so no one decides to take it over from us. SugarwareZ-004.gif :bash:
Yes. For anyone else who doesn't know I was joking. Even though I never usually joke around. :D :crack-up:

TheMason
Posted
Posted
Hey Mr Lee are you getting a cut in these condo sales? :th_exactly: :th_thholysheep: You are right that if she had significant property in her name it would help to obtain the visa but unfortunately you never know for sure if they will approve it even then. If it is an emergency you don't have time to wait for maybe.It is a real pain how difficult they make it to obtain a VISA but it is not only filipinos who have violated the rules on this stuff. The American sponsors have also pulled some shenanigans in the past. So when you go through the hassle trying to get an aproval just remember it is so difficult because you have been buddy f###ed by those who went before you.
I'm upset at having to change my plans, but I don't really have a problem with the immigration laws. I'd prefer the US to keep tougher visa restrictions in place. It's a thorn in my side now, but it's the best policy.I lived in Tucson, AZ for the past 20 years and have seen first hand the impact illegal immigrants have on a region. I guess it's just my bad luck I fell in love with a Filipina instead of a Mexican. It's not a quick walk across the border with free food and water along the way for her.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yes because ironicaly Mexico's immigration laws are tougher than ours. You probably couldn't get her into Mexico from the Philippines at all.Give me a call when you get back. I am in Phoenix.

Edited by tom_shor

samatm
Posted
Posted
I thought about buying a condo here in Baguio or some rice fields in Pampanga to meet the property requirements for a visa. I'm just not sold on the long term stability of the Philippines though. Between the economic crisis and the upcoming elections in 2010 I think the Philippines is about to get very unstable. Getting my wife dual citizenship is going to require changing our plans significantly. We'll have to sacrifice in the short term but once she has her US citizenship our options will increase quite a bit and we can decide where to live based on what we want rather than based on what the govt. will permit us to do.

samatm
Posted
Posted
yes...Finally my wife saw the light and got her US passport.. she was so nationalistic that she never wanted US citizenship..until she realized that her options opend significantly.. She got her Greencard 1 month after arriving in the US ...then 8 years later finally citizenship.. 3 months after citizenship shes back here. My folks back home were seriously doing some head scratching.... like go figure! You wife after getting the GC can return here, but not for more than a year at a time... proof of maintained residence in the US while waiting for citizenship is a must...bank accounts, bills, etc.. My wife returned once for 5 months and once for 9 months in the 8 years we resided in the US.