Future Plans To Retire There Can Be A Lonely Road…

bows00
Posted
Posted

One negative side affect as a result of my last visit to the Philippines is that I find myself putting my life on hold here in the US. I have 5 years left until I can retire and start my 2nd life there. It really hit me today when I found out my close buddy (whose 48 years old), is going to have his first baby and as a result, decided to get married. He has a whole new life ahead of him-such an exciting time for any man. And here I am, just daydreaming about the Philippines…and sadly, a part of me is reluctant to meet women here in the US because they will not fit into my future plans.Now don't get me wrong, it is still much more pleasant to have a light at the end of the tunnel - to be able to look forward to that day when I can kiss my job good bye and start my new life there, but isn't life supposed to be a journey? Aren't you supposed to enjoy the ride to your final destiny and goal? It sucks when life is passing you by… I find myself just working and just passing time to hit 56 years. Funny... until I went to the PI, I always felt time was passing me by too rapidly, but now, I can't wait to get 5 years older! And yes, the Philippines, as wonderful as it is, it turned my social life here in the US to zero…Maybe I should get a life...

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Since I made the decision to really work at getting things in order to move I have noticed the same thing. It got so bad that last week at Home Depot I saw a really nice, and cheap, screwdriver set... and decided not to buy it. I couldn't commit to a screwdriver set because I'll just have to get rid of it next year. I'm just going through the motions at work. Luckily in my job you can half-ass it and get away with it. :)Hell, with my luck I'll meet some great woman - now that I'm not looking!

billten
Posted
Posted (edited)

The other side to that picture is the guys who come here and end up bored and lonely too. As you have 5 years to go, i suggest you make plans and start the wheels in motion so you have a real, active and contributing life over here. Too many guys i see, arrive to live with the girl of their dreams and find that after the initial excitement wears off, life is boring and unfulfilling. They often drop into booze and doing stupid self-destructive things to fill in the time or just go home, disillusioned.

Edited by billten
  • Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

So if I'm boozing it up out of boredom now, does that mean I am a strong candidate to end up being another bored and lonely loser there? I hope not! I think the biggest difference for me will be the freedom from my job. But you are right, you will need to find a life outside of retirement, but that is true for anybody retiring, not just applicable to expats there.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

You may want to check into one of our forum sponsors;

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
-removed link, not our sponser
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Retirement doesn't have to be a drag ...... in fact if you are not a work-a-holic it can be a down right blessing ..... you get to sit back and enjoy the things in life with out the hustle and bustle of a work-a-day life ..... if you already have a hobby or at least something you like to do you will be in good shape ..... you'll notice I didn't say great shape ..... depending on what you like to do you may find that it is not avaiable here or supplies hard to find ..... but it is a start ..... traveling is another good option as there are lots and lots of places to see and visit ..... you have plenty of time to start doing a detailed research of what to expect when you arrive as you have been here already it will be a might easier ..... I started researching more than 8 years before I retired and made the move and have never regretted it I might add .... and you have a leg up on me as I had never been here before ..... but then I had never been to Gitmo Bay Cuba before until I got there .... :) ..... It is better that you find something that you like doing or else you will end up like the crowd sitting under the escalator at Robinsons looking up the girls dresses and bitching about everything wrong here in the Phils and how much better and cheaper everything is back home and how they wished they had never moved here .... such a sad sad life ...... but to each his own ..... :tiphat:

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Bows! Have a think a long these lines. To me, Retirement is best spent with someone. I met my wife many years ago in Spain (OSW) we made most of our Plans from here. It was always going to be a 5 year project, after she went back to the PI. (My choice to go back to earn) The Plan was in Place. Now it is 13 months only, to the big day. All our Plans, have seemed to come together.There are many Filipina's there in the US, I am sure there will be one to meet, that will fit in with your Plans. You say you are Reluctant to meet a lady in the US But it would change the whole ball game, if you could meet a Filipina (OSW) that will want to come Home in 5 years.Just a thought, attack it from a Different angle and I think you can get rid of a few fears you have.Jack P, :chickendance:

• Like 2

bows00
Posted
Posted

That angle might just work. In fact, there is a big Filipino community here in Hawaii. But still, nothing compares to the women overseas...

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
That angle might just work. In fact, there is a big Filipino community here in Hawaii. But still, nothing compares to the women overseas...
Well Bows, all I can say is best of luck and I would wish you well. I hope you can Bump into one of those community, maybe a Sister/niece will be Visiting. :541:Jack P. :chickendance:

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Just have to jump in for a sec....Great posts and great ideas from all!Kind of brought a tear to my eyes for all the compassion felt from everybody!Truly outstanding! :chickendance:(No, I have not been drinking... :chickendance: )