Buying A Car

DScott
Posted
Posted

I've decided that my own wheels would be better so its time to purchase a car. My question to the forum is since I will be searching for a used one can any members advise me of the best way to go about this. Anyone have recommendations of a used car dealer?I'm in Mandaue Cebu.Don

scianna54
Posted
Posted

Buy new, most used cars here have hidden defects.

dean01
Posted
Posted

Used cars are over priced , due to the bank loans on the cars

billten
Posted
Posted

I used Maguikay Motors in Manduae. They were pretty good and reasonably wide selection. Tough to get a bargain at a dealership, but you know the papers are clean(er)...

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Many, many of my friends have had custom assembled multicabs built for them in Cebu and they are all happy with them. I say custom assembled because you get to pick motor size, 2 or 4 wheel drive, cab extension and seating, air con or not.These units are often close to 200K but they are refurbished, like new, for second hand prices. I did not follow this advice and bought a second hand, older unit from a used car dealership. I wish now that I had followed my own advice. That is because I paid more for my unit and it has cost me more over the last 4 years than the multicab would have.

billten
Posted
Posted
Many, many of my friends have had custom assembled multicabs built for them in Cebu and they are all happy with them. I say custom assembled because you get to pick motor size, 2 or 4 wheel drive, cab extension and seating, air con or not.These units are often close to 200K but they are refurbished, like new, for second hand prices. I did not follow this advice and bought a second hand, older unit from a used car dealership. I wish now that I had followed my own advice. That is because I paid more for my unit and it has cost me more over the last 4 years than the multicab would have.
All respect Dave, but... IMO multicab's are not the best vehicles for a general runabaout simply due to their safety records. The multicab is designed as a inner city delivery vehicle for big cities in Japan, its not supposed to go much more that 20kph and we use the things like they are a family sedan. Take a trip down the the LTO office beside the south terminal and see what is left of the multicabs that were involved in accidents. There are usually 3 or 4 down there as they hold the remains of any fatal accident during the invewstigation. They are really scary, the cab is usually flattened, with the motor behind you and whatever you are hitting in front, you are the salami in the sandwich...
  • Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

I can attest. Last April I bought a 93 Toyota Corolla. I paid P175K. All seemed well at 1st then different things kept going. In less than a year, I did the following:1.) Repaired faulty connection in the instrument cluster thus restoring my Speedometer & Tachometer. (Included in purchase)2.) Replaced front brakes. (P750)3.) Replaced 3 tires. (P10K)4.) Replaced Emergency brake cable. (P600)5.) Replaced trunk release cable. (P600)6.) Replaced rear water hose. (P450)7.) New trunk cable was not properly lubed thus breaking the lever ass'y which can only be purchased at the dealer (P3890)8.) Had to replace trunk cable again due to being worn from no lub (P600 See #5) This time lubed properly9.) Rebuilt Rack & Pinion Ass'y w/new inner & Outer tie rods. (P11K)10.) Replaced radiator & coolant (P8000)11.) Replaced Master Cylinder (P2150)12.) Rear brakes (P800)13.) Repair & lubed sticky front door latches (P150)Total: P38,990 in less than 1 year.Prices are parts & labor together. Granted the car is solid and great now but it came at a price.

• Like 1

Garpo
Posted
Posted
I can attest. Last April I bought a 93 Toyota Corolla. I paid P175K. All seemed well at 1st then different things kept going. In less than a year, I did the following:1.) Repaired faulty connection in the instrument cluster thus restoring my Speedometer & Tachometer. (Included in purchase)2.) Replaced front brakes. (P750)3.) Replaced 3 tires. (P10K)4.) Replaced Emergency brake cable. (P600)5.) Replaced trunk release cable. (P600)6.) Replaced rear water hose. (P450)7.) New trunk cable was not properly lubed thus breaking the lever ass'y which can only be purchased at the dealer (P3890)8.) Had to replace trunk cable again due to being worn from no lub (P600 See #5) This time lubed properly9.) Rebuilt Rack & Pinion Ass'y w/new inner & Outer tie rods. (P11K)10.) Replaced radiator & coolant (P8000)11.) Replaced Master Cylinder (P2150)12.) Rear brakes (P800)13.) Repair & lubed sticky front door latches (P150)Total: P38,990 in less than 1 year.Prices are parts & labor together. Granted the car is solid and great now but it came at a price.
Steve,Even with the cost of all the repairs you had to make on top of the price you paid, you still seem to have paid much less that it would cost for a new vehicle and like you said, it is now in pretty good shape and as long as it gets you form point A to point B. That is what counts. Are you saying that you feel like you would have been better off buying a new vehicle?I am also trying to decide to buy new or used.
  • Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)
Steve,Even with the cost of all the repairs you had to make on top of the price you paid, you still seem to have paid much less that it would cost for a new vehicle and like you said, it is now in pretty good shape and as long as it gets you form point A to point B. That is what counts. Are you saying that you feel like you would have been better off buying a new vehicle?I am also trying to decide to buy new or used.
Myrlita feels that I should have been more scrutenizing before I bought it. She felt that I could have bought a 97-98 for what we paid. I myself feel she is right up to a point but for me, the newer one could have been much worse. At least I now have a good running car with only 105,000 KM on it. It was 99K when I bought it. I even run full synthetic oil in it and a good thing I did. When the radiator let go and it over heated, normally the engine is damaged but the oil did not break down. It's still light colored where as it should have burned. Praise God it helped. Edited by Steve & Myrlita
  • Like 1

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

Buy a new one!!!!My first car here in Philippines was a Honda civic 96 model. Bought it 9 years ago 320k, costed me another 150k in 3 years, sold it 200k and bought a brand new Honda city. I have it now almost 7 years, has asked me less than 30-40k, just normal maintenance, nothing suprising, oh yes water came in the contacts of the windshield wipers and a few crazy staff was going on, 250p to a local shop and no more problems for more than a year now.I do have it on sale now,http://://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/4929781/Honda+City i ask 370k and would give it even with 320k. Why i sell it? It starts with the enginer starter needing replacement pretty soon, i can give it away and buy a brand new one. The dealerships they give me 250-280K and they will sell it as much as i do sell it but not less than 340k. if i do not sell it i will just do the repair whenever it totally brakes down the starter and keep it, i am happy with it.I did buy a Suzuki Vitara two months ago, for my own fun. I bought it 175k. I paid immediately 25k on tires (i wanted big and good ones), then another 40k for another engine labor and other repairs included. The one i bought it from he had engine crack and cylinderhead crack, he gave it to a shop they welded it and he sold it. My wife bought it since i was not here, she even took a good mechanic with her to check the car and he told her it is perfect....what an idiot!!! I took for fun my honda to him and he told me i have huge engine problems...i have none!!!anyway, further the Suzuki is all rusted under, not the main chasis but the flooring, another 25k that will be there. The automatic gear box needs cleaning of the valves, the steering wheel needs flushing and replacing of the ATF, i want to lift it up as well another 2"....So from 175k I will go to about 300K and i will have an old car always asking this and that, not being able to sell more than 180-200k. Waste of money if i needed it for transportation, i need it for my fun times though and it really covers what i bought it for, no mountain, no flood, no mud is an obstacle to me now, tested and well proved even if not totally fixed :)My point is, you get an old car...you keep on paying, you do not have a reliable car and you cannot sell it as much as you bought it, despite the money you put on it.if you need the car for your transoportation, BUY A BRAND NEW ONE.Afford or not? Well....I would prefer give any amount i would have and if small buy the cheapest existing car but brand new than a bit bigger and nicer car and used. Try this Suzuki Alto, it costs about 350-360K brand new. Whatever you give for downpayment...split the rest according to the what you can afford per month, even up to 5 years!!!!If you give 160k, you get 200k loan from the bank for 5 years, i am not sure but the monthly payment should be 4-5000p/month...and so it goes according to what you can afford. Buy a seconh hand car and this monthly 4-5000p can be the what will be costing you per month more or less...