110 Volt Grinder On 2 Wire 220

Okieboy
Posted
Posted (edited)

I needed some tiles cut for floor in cr, i have 2 wire 220 volt power , my carpenter has grinder with tile blade ,he said no problem, he has been doing this for years with no harm to the grinder it is 115v i don't know how this works but it does with 2 wire , i thought one is 220 and the other ground ,don;t know how you split thatpost-1206-0-85853800-1331559914_thumb.jp

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
attached image correctly

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Oops. Need JGFWas doing my moderating job of moving a post to the correct thread and it ended up on top of the opening post.Tom will fix it.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

I sent a 2,000W Transformer to Mindanao to deal with such issues.

billten
Posted
Posted

I rent my own transformer from my local power company. Since i did, i had no more blown computers and i have both 110 and 240. Costs p500 a month...

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
I rent my own transformer from my local power company. Since i did, i had no more blown computers and i have both 110 and 240. Costs p500 a month...
What type of transformer do you rent from them? Is if for the whole house or??? I was planning on buying several small ones but maybe I don't need to.

billten
Posted
Posted
What type of transformer do you rent from them? Is if for the whole house or??? I was planning on buying several small ones but maybe I don't need to.
Yup, its for the entire house. I have wired the place with three pin 110 plugs and two pin 240 plugs, both on the same plates. Three wires come from the transformer (on the pole), across wires 1 and 2 is 240 and 1 and 3 is 110. It works great. In fact, i have a microwave that never worked properly on a small 800w transformer. Once i got everything wired in the house. All my 110 stuff worked excellent.

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

That will only work in certain parts of Metro Manila where they use the center tap as we do in the US. The rest of the RP is single phase, no center tap. Only high side 220 and low side ground.

billten
Posted
Posted
That will only work in certain parts of Metro Manila where they use the center tap as we do in the US. The rest of the RP is single phase, no center tap. Only high side 220 and low side ground.
Not sure what you mean Steve. I rent the transformer on the power pole. It takes the 440v off the pole and brings it down to the house as either 240 or 110. I am in Carcar, near Cebu and pretty much everything here is 440 on the pole and 220 - 240, no ground, in the house.

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted
Not sure what you mean Steve. I rent the transformer on the power pole. It takes the 440v off the pole and brings it down to the house as either 240 or 110. I am in Carcar, near Cebu and pretty much everything here is 440 on the pole and 220 - 240, no ground, in the house.
You are an exception because you specifically rent a transformer with the center tap to use as a 3rd Nutural as the US does. The standard transformer in the provinces does not have that center tap and only utilizes the 2 main sec wires which uses high side and ground so no safe access to 110v w/o stepdown xfmr.

billten
Posted
Posted
You are an exception because you specifically rent a transformer with the center tap to use as a 3rd Nutural as the US does. The standard transformer in the provinces does not have that center tap and only utilizes the 2 main sec wires which uses high side and ground so no safe access to 110v w/o stepdown xfmr.
Ah ok, Kasabot.Funny thing was that the rental price for a transformer that offered 110 and 240 was exactly the same as a regular one, i just had to specify what i wanted and viola, p500 later and i'm golden.
  • Like 1