110 Volt Grinder On 2 Wire 220

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

i hear transformers use power without using appliance, any one know of this and how much power do they consume

Mike S
Posted
Posted
I needed some tiles cut for floor in cr, i have 2 wire 220 volt power , my carpenter has grinder with tile blade ,he said no problem, he has been doing this for years with no harm to the grinder it is 115v i don't know how this works but it does with 2 wire , i thought one is 220 and the other ground ,don;t know how you split thatpost-1206-0-85853800-1331559914_thumb.jp
I love that picture ..... makes me want to stand around and watch (from a safe distance) what happens when a sudden downpour comes up ..... I'll bet those flip-flops will either get to dancing or smoking .... one of the two .... :) :)

FlyAway
Posted
Posted
i hear transformers use power without using appliance, any one know of this and how much power do they consume
Transformers do use a small amount of power even when sitting idle. How much they use depends on efficiency and design. Most these days run around 98% + efficiency.Any resistance or load after your power meter is going to count towards your electric bill. Leaving your cellphone charger plugged in after a charge even draws a minimal amount of current. Very small and negligable but still draws.
  • Like 2

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted (edited)
If you are referring to the polle transformer that Bilten describes, yes a small transmission loss is a factor and is recovered by the utility through charges on the bill seen as delivery costs... doesn't double dip as it is prior to your meter......if you refer to the small versions used on individual applications, again yes, and it varies by manufacturer and quality of the transformer. I have a few that reflected up to a 5% power loss in their specifications. A clue is how hot they get... the more heat they are generating, the more energy they are wasting. I have a stack of burned out small transformers that I used, and that failed, but eventually I did the same as Bilten and have a dual voltage house for 500 php per month. Biltn and I are both on Cebeco power so charges may vary by utility company. The main problem with those small ones are they are costly to purchase and it seems, through forensic examination of my burned up units... that the wire used in trasnformers RARELY is capable of delivering the rated wattage... hence why they tell you to oversize the unit to your demands... but even 25% oversizing, we calculated that one of the Gaisano units that burned up, was only capable of safely passing around 30% of the rated wattage.... welcome to a world without the quality assurances of the CE or UL certifications. The units I brought from the USA, worked fine... ntil I pushed them beyond their limits... because my Philippine source units failed...I take the blame for those failing. And Gaisano's response? You get one replacement (even though I know I was nowhere near the rated wattage) after that they fail is your fault. Actual Gaisano manager reply!! Edited by Dzighnman
  • Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

I used to work for UL as a field service representative. Quality control is a problem everywhere. Manufacturers have to "Own" up to the products they make. I learned a lot from working at Underwriters Laboratories. Everything in the manufacturing process is under strict controled procedure.Dzighnman is correct about the load rating of the wire used in the transformers. Many manufacturers use a substandard wire. It can be to small gauge or impurities in the metalurgy of the metals. Seems a lot of manufacturers will send products that fail UL inspections to 3d world countries.One thing I learned in electronic's school was to always double your projected current needs for circuits.

• Like 3