White Rice Linked Type 2 Diabetes

Americano
Posted
Posted

I knew too much white rice can't be good for you. When someone is using a table spoon or their hand to shovel their mouth full of rice then there's not much room left for the important foods like vegetables and fruits. If you only eat white rice and drink water you will have very poor health and may not live long.

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

White rice is almost all starch and produces an addiction like mentality, very similar to the American addiction to hot dog and hamburger buns. Oh yes, and don't forget the salted fries with that. Once "addicted" it takes a concerted effort to get away from it.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Sometimes not much choice,better to eat rice than starve to death,at least you get to live a bit longer. :)

DavidandBless
Posted
Posted

Yah, it's bad when you develop Diabetes. But some people don't get diabetes even if they have to eat rice everyday. I think the 2 factors that contributes in getting type 2 diabetes are Obesity and Heridetary. Once, you get diabetes, you have to stop eatIng white rice and white bread. You can eat Basmati rice or Brown Rice.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Yah, it's bad when you develop Diabetes. But some people don't get diabetes even if they have to eat rice everyday. I think the 2 factors that contributes in getting type 2 diabetes are Obesity and Heridetary. Once, you get diabetes, you have to stop eatIng white rice and white bread. You can eat Basmati rice or Brown Rice.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I though Basmati was white rice...?

DavidandBless
Posted
Posted

Yes, it is white but is a different variety. It has a medium glycemic index compared to a regular white rice(90+). But still you have to eat it in moderation. I know this because I am diabetic but then diabetes is in my family. It was hard living in the Philippines with it because they don't have that much food that are diabetic friendly and medicine is very expensive there. You can eat a lot protein and veggies though.

• Like 4

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted (edited)
Correct me if I'm wrong but I though Basmati was white rice...?
Basmati rice is white rice but it has a lower glycemic index than standard processed white rice. Edited by Just Fred
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Just goes to show... I learn something new on here every time I come on! :)

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Basmati rice is a very long grain rice, and when grown in India and Pakistan (the real basmati rice) it has a unique fragrance and flavor because the water used for irrigation comes down from the Himalayas. It comes in brown or white. The white is light & fluffy and doesn't stick together like regular white rice. So I would think it is less starchy than white rice. Being less starchy probably makes it more healthy?

• Like 1