White Rice Linked Type 2 Diabetes

Mike S
Posted
Posted
Yes, it is white but is a different variety. It has a medium glycemic index compared to a regular white rice(90+). But still you have to eat it in moderation. I know this because I am diabetic but then diabetes is in my family. It was hard living in the Philippines with it because they don't have that much food that are diabetic friendly and medicine is very expensive there. You can eat a lot protein and veggies though.
When I first got here there were low-carb types of food (good for diabetics) everywhere Jello ... Pudding .... cookies and candies and all kinds of other foods ..... but now after just a few years it is all but gone from the shelves .... used to see Splenda in big bags in all the grocery stories and now there is only one place to get them and that is Sugar-Free Haven on Escario not to far from the Capitol building ...... they have the only selection of sugar and low-carb products that I know of in Cebu ..... it is a shame as diabetes is spreading through out the Phils at an alarming rate ...... but they have been eating rice here for centuries ....
  • Like 2

Bundy
Posted
Posted (edited)

The father-in-law was a diabetic amongst other things (mostly self induced) couldn't care less what he ate or drank,needless to say he didn't live too long.When the missus first came to Australia she was diagnosed here as borderline diabetic.She was at the time eating loads of Jasmine white rice which we soon found out is one of the worst things she could of been eating,it is just loaded with sugar.She eats the Basmati rice here with no problems at all but in Cebu she just eats the local variety and doesn't have any trouble with that either....go figure.I'm not much of a rice eater but i think the rice in the Philippines definitely has a different and better taste to the stuff here...................then again, that may be because i wash it down with a few San Magoos!

Edited by Bundy
  • Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
Moderation in all things is a good thing.http://www.news.com....0-1226301604911
White rice is the dominant form of rice eaten in the world.Machines produce its polished look by hulling and milling, leaving a grain that is predominantly starch.Brown rice, by contrast, has more fibre, magnesium and vitamins, and a lower "glycaemic index," a measurement of sugar content, than white rice.(from the news article) By spending a few more pesos, YOU get a better,more Healthier Food product, which in turns offer you a better life,also in another (off)topic,,some women have slight issues with birth or birth defects,PERHAPS just PERHAPS if they knew the benefits of "brown" rice and could afford the few pesos per day to consume this better nutritional who knows what could occur,Less prenatal issues.better infant mortality and better all over health for the mother Edited by Call me Bubba
  • Like 1