Close To The Family Or Far Away?

wingmanPI
Posted
Posted (edited)

so I am currently trying to figure out what exact city I will relocate to when I make the move to PI. one choice is bocaue, bulacan which is where my fiance is from and her family is there. nothingreally special about the place except it would be fairly inexpensive to live there and I am sure myfinace would enjoy being close to her family. I have met her family and they are very cool so Ihave no problems with them but I do enjoy my space so I am a little concerned I might get a bitoverwhelmed with constant attention of family around.second choice is cebu. probably liloan, talisay, bogo, sogod etc. something smaller and outsideof the busy city life. this would give us a good distance away from the family but it would addexpenses as we would need to travel a few times a year to see them via airfare. still looking fora place to fall in love with.....the place I have enjoyed the most in my travels so far has been subic, specifically barriobarretto baloy beach. I think the reason I like it is it has a small town feel and everything Ineed is within walking distance. I do not want to deal with taxis and jeepneys everyday to getaround so looking for a small community where everything is close by and has a goodwatering hole or two. I am pretty open to ideas at this point so I would appreciate any suggestions. cheers!

Edited by wingmanPI

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted
so I am currently trying to figure out what exact city I will relocate to when I make the move to PI. one choice is bocaue, bulacan which is where my fiance is from and her family is there. nothingreally special about the place except it would be fairly inexpensive to live there and I am sure myfinace would enjoy being close to her family. I have met her family and they are very cool so Ihave no problems with them but I do enjoy my space so I am a little concerned I might get a bitoverwhelmed with constant attention of family around.second choice is cebu. probably liloan, talisay, bogo, sogod etc. something smaller and outsideof the busy city life. this would give us a good distance away from the family but it would addexpenses as we would need to travel a few times a year to see them via airfare. still looking fora place to fall in love with.....the place I have enjoyed the most in my travels so far has been subic, specifically barriobarretto baloy beach. I think the reason I like it is it has a small town feel and everything Ineed is within walking distance. I do not want to deal with taxis and jeepneys everyday to getaround so looking for a small community where everything is close by and has a goodwatering hole or two. I am pretty open to ideas at this point so I would appreciate any suggestions. cheers!
You need to have a serious discussion with her concerning this. The majority of Filipinas can't function unless they are close by their families. Remember, the RP culture is families here not not independant but interdependant.
  • Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
this would give us a good distance away from the family but it would add expenses as wewould need to travel a few times a year to see them
I would suggest being close enough that she can go to visit by herself a few times a year. Maybe one ferry ride away or one bus ride away. It will keep your costs down substantially if you do not go with her, except on special occasions of course.
  • Like 4

billten
Posted
Posted (edited)

I agree with Dave, close enough to visit without too much hassles, but far enough away so as you can have your own life with your new wife. Trust me, its hard enough adapting to the changes in culture and location without having the family intrude with their agenda...Other thing is, when you arrive, take a 6 month vacation, travel around and visit all the places you think are candidates, you'll have a blast and will be able to decide exactly what suits.

Edited by billten
  • Like 2

Garpo
Posted
Posted

I would suggest that you come with the plan that things might need to be changed in a hurry. Don't commit yourself to a long term lease until you have been in county for awhile and get a feel for what you and your girl can be happy with. Like Steve said, you really need to have a candid discussion with your girl about what she wants and what she is willing to accept. So much will depend on how much her family and her are gong to expect from you and what you are willing to do for them. Some families may not expect or ask anything of you while others will feel like whatever you have, they are entitled to.

• Like 5

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Time is the only way to find out what kind of extended family you have.Everyone's mileage may vary but in our case we will not be living within easy striking distance that's for sure.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
the place I have enjoyed the most in my travels so far has been subic, specifically barrio barretto baloy beach. I think the reason I like it is it has a small town feel and everything I need is within walking distance. I do not want to deal with taxis and jeepneys everyday to get around so looking for a small community where everything is close by and has a good watering hole or two. I am pretty open to ideas at this point so I would appreciate any suggestions. cheers!
Seems like the correct answer to me,this is what you have decided you like so worth trying.What did your fiancee think of it there?
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Wingman, with 7.000+ Islands to choose from, the world is your Oyster. Have a Good Look around. I am not Tourist Guide BUT! of Course, I have a Vested Interest in NEGROS. Occidental (Bacolod North west). Oriental (Dumaguete South east) And a Whole Lot in between. Just don't be Guided bye those, that want you see, JUST, The Tourist thing. . Come ,Try this Beautiful Island.It has More to offer than you would Imagine. (OK Guys How am I doing here? Does the Governor's owe me a beer or Two? )I know I have said it before and I still believe My Signature.Jack P. :cheersty:

• Like 2

wingmanPI
Posted
Posted (edited)
the place I have enjoyed the most in my travels so far has been subic, specifically barrio barretto baloy beach. I think the reason I like it is it has a small town feel and everything I need is within walking distance. I do not want to deal with taxis and jeepneys everyday to get around so looking for a small community where everything is close by and has a good watering hole or two. I am pretty open to ideas at this point so I would appreciate any suggestions. cheers!
Seems like the correct answer to me,this is what you have decided you like so worth trying.What did your fiancee think of it there?
she likes it there. most people there are nice and friendly. just didnt want to settle on one place before I looked at all of the options. Edited by wingmanPI
  • Like 1

wingmanPI
Posted
Posted
Wingman, with 7.000+ Islands to choose from, the world is your Oyster. Have a Good Look around. I am not Tourist Guide BUT! of Course, I have a Vested Interest in NEGROS. Occidental (Bacolod North west). Oriental (Dumaguete South east) And a Whole Lot in between. Just don't be Guided bye those, that want you see, JUST, The Tourist thing. . Come ,Try this Beautiful Island.It has More to offer than you would Imagine. (OK Guys How am I doing here? Does the Governor's owe me a beer or Two? )I know I have said it before and I still believe My Signature.Jack P. :hystery:
thanks for the ideas. dumaguete has been suggested to me a few times by others as well. looks like I may have to make a visit there when I am in PI in June.
  • Like 1