Visas And Getting Married.

karlen
Posted
Posted

Hi, I've been reading some of the posts and im not quite sure if i got the main points right. So here are my plans and would like to get your thoughts or feedback if i misunderstood the rules and laws etc. Been stressing myself out lately because i want to make sure that I'm prepared when he gets here. (Let's add financially prepared too..lol)1. Buy a one way ticket from the US to the philippines. Make sure we get a throwaway ticket ( probably getting one for Macau) just in case immigration asks.2. Schedule an appointment with the US embassy the 2nd day he gets here and apply for legal capacity to marry. Apply for a marriage license on the same day.3. Wait 10 days for the marriage license. Get married.4. By this time, the 21 days may be up so we apply for an extension by the 18th to 19th day.5. During the extension period,and once we get the marriage contract, we go and apply for a 13a visa for him. - option 2.. go have a trip to Hongkong and come back with balikbayan visa which will be eligile for 1 year.Probably this whole process is not as simple as I'm hoping that it is :AddEmoticons04230:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Not sure what the hurry is, your BF can extend his visa virtually forever so take your time. Might be a bit tiring to rush around on the second day after arrival. By the way, nice pics on photobucket. :AddEmoticons04230:

karlen
Posted
Posted

U have a point there. I really want to get things out of the way as soon as i can. I'm particularly scared that something comes up and we're unprepared for it....im just a lil paranoid that way lol... I forgot i had a photobucket account lol. I used those pics for when i was playing this game called arena.. Realized it wasnt my thing...

Garpo
Posted
Posted

Karlen,You might want to check with the local requirements for getting married in the town, city where you will be getting married. It seems very common in the Philippines for different local requirements. I got married just over a year ago and did not have to obtain any type of permission from the U.S. Embassy. But that might just be because of the small town that I live in and that my wife knows everybody.The throw away ticket might have to be shown to the airlines in the U.S before he is allowed to leave for the Philippines, They may also ask to see it when he arrives and goes through immigration.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm assuming you are a Philippine citizen and your fiancee is American? I just went through the process but YMMV. The Affidavit in Lieu of LCM from the US Embassy or Consulate is required as is the CENOMAR or Certificate of No Marriage Record from the NSO. The 10 day waiting period can possibly be adjusted if you ask. There is also a pre-marriage counseling seminar but that may be waived if you are both over 25. Certified Birth Certificates, 3 copies of everything to be safe. This has all the details.

Edited by MikeB

karlen
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the responses :AddEmoticons04230: and yes im filipina living in metro manila:) Been reading thru some forums abt throwaway tickets. Still gets confusing for me. I plan to get a one way ticket on kayak for multiple airlines and get a throwaway ticket for macau. When and if they ask, will he say he's travelling to the phils for 21 days and then travelling to macau?I would get a refundable ticket but ive had bad experiences in the past where my online purchases took forever to get refunded and i got passed from one dept to another :hystery:

• Like 2

ancienrocka
Posted
Posted

Hi Karlen,Just some comments on your questions about your wedding1. Buy a one way ticket from the US to the philippines. Make sure we get a throwaway ticket ( probably getting one for Macau) just in case immigration asks.mAs other people have said, the throw away ticket is more important to the carrier than Immigration. If he is refused entry to the Philippines for any reason, they will have to take him back to his point of departure and may be liable for a 50,000p fine. This is why he will probably not be allowed to board the plane unless he can show an onward ticket.2. Schedule an appointment with the US embassy the 2nd day he gets here and apply for legal capacity to marry. In Cebu the Consulate is only open fror about 3 hours in the morning. If you are applying in Manila it may be different. Apply for a marriage license on the same day. You need to apply for the license in the municipality where you can show proof of residence for the previous 6 months - some Registrars will allow applications if it is your place of birth or may even waive the requirement, but it is something you can check before he arrives.3. Wait 10 days for the marriage license. Get married.4. By this time, the 21 days may be up so we apply for an extension by the 18th to 19th day. Yes cost is 3030p for an extra 38 days.5. During the extension period,and once we get the marriage contract, we go and apply for a 13a visa for him I After you are married you need to return to the Civil Registrar in the place where you were married, ( not necessarily the same place as you obtained the marriage license), and get the marriage contract endorsed by them. You then submit this to the NSO and if lucky you will get an NSO certfied copy of your marriage certifcate back with 10 working days. You can then apply for the 13a visa. NB You initially apply for a MARRIAGE LICENSE, on the wedding day you sign the MARRIAGE CONTRACT and the NSO gives you the MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE. Your new husband will need to renain in the country and keep his tourist visas up to date throughout the process of applying for his 13a visa - you are looking at probably 2-3 months from the date of your wedding.. - option 2.. go have a trip to Hongkong and come back with balikbayan visa which will be eligile for 1 year.

• Like 4

karlen
Posted
Posted

Thank you all for the information that you gave me :AddEmoticons04230: i feel so much better and more informed about costs and timeframe. We are looking at july or august for him to get back here and build our new life together.

Curley
Posted
Posted

One other point, your throw away ticket does not have to be a plane ticket..... it could be a ferry ticket.... maybe cheaper.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Hi Karen, Jack P just popping his head up to say Hello. You are going to get no doubt some, Positive and Negative Replies here, I am in the Middle of things about Retirement, as they say, There is a First time for Everything. be Positive but adjust every now and then, to a Negative.Anyway, Whilst i would wish you all the best, I feel you should Understand and accept that marriage in the PI can be a lengthy issue sometimes. I can only put this here as it happened to me 4 years ago, (I am British Living in Spain)1. CNI applied for at Malaga (Spain UK Consulate Nov 2nd) 21 day wait2. Arrived in manila December 21st. (CNI Ready)3. Applied for Marriage License (Dgte) Dec 22nd. had to Apply marriage seminar 8 day wait for Slot.4. Seminar waived after I threw my Dummy out of the Pram. ( Wasted 4 days)5. Application for License accepted. 10 day wait. (We were told Don't Book it yet But we did, the Venue anyway)6. Visit to halls of Justice to Apply for Marriage Contract. 3 day wait. (Xmas Close down)8. Marriage Application by a Judge (Garden Wedding) went to Lottery. 5 day wait.8a. Chosen Judge gave us 3 dates he would marry us. ( He changed the date Twice)9. Case of Unpaid Community tax bye Azon. 2 day wait.10. Return Halls of Justice for Updated Contract (We had to pay again for their Mistakes) Contract issued January 14h ( 4 Hour wait)From my Arrival in Manila on 21st December to the marriage on Jan 22nd it took 31 days to get things Sorted out. Even with the holiday days over Xmas, we felt we have achieved a lot. As I said, this was me and I guess it could be Different for others.The Most important fact is The CNI & CENOMAR, There can be No marriage without these two Requirements and I feel this is the issue you may fall down on. I cant talk about the US LCM, the UK CNI has a Clear 21 day waiting Time by Law so that is why I made Application before I came. (Similar to the 3 week Banns law)I think that your BF should make enquires into this, as this could be additional time for issue.All in All I think you will find that the PI only issues a 21day Passport Entry to Stop Silly marriages happening. It is just not possible to Get married on a visit of 21 days.NEGATIVE? no not all all, just a realistic look at the Time factors. Pitfalls and above all, your chance to learn from all our mistakes and problems encountered. MORAL! get absolutely everything you need in Requirents, too much is better than 1 thing missing.For me, 40/45 days seems odds on, for you to Enjoy Your day.All the Best, I for one will enjoy reading your Updates as they happen.Jack P. :)

• Like 2