Mail Forwarding Services - Your Recommendations?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Thats what I believe as well. Thanks. BTW.....how far in advance would you set this mail service up ? I am at a point of so many things are waiting until I here from these other person /offices/ things that I cannot give any dates as of yet. Guess I can go to their web site & see if I may set everything up BUT the date of the service to begin. I am having a logistics problem with my trip. : )

USABOX has a free service that you can set up right away, which I did. When you need the enhanced service, you can upgrade. Go to their web page and go to the Rate page and it will show you what you get with the different plans.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

OnMyWay ..... I have been very happy with my service from them for over 5 years (had it before I got here) .... it only takes about 3-4 days before I receive my mail from the US ...... once they get to know your location here the local delivery is much faster ...... now they just have the guard at the door sign for it and he brings it to me .....

The only complain I have about their service is they will open any packages to insure their contents if there is any doubt as to what they contain ..... but then that is the law when shipping stuff other than mail from foreign countries ..... so it really is not their fault ..... ex. ....... it ended up costing me over $90 to have a Magic Jack shipped by USA Box ..... their cost plus double the cost of the Magic Jack to get it through customs ....... oh well .... live and learn .... next time I will send it USPS ..... cost is about the same shipping wise but no customs ...... it doesn't take long to learn all the little tricks ...... :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I have found that it's extremely rare that you will need a physical letter forwarded (big exception is credit card replacements) but the service I use will scan the contents to a pdf for $1.50 so there's no need for the original. Does USABox offer that included for $15 a month?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

OnMyWay ..... I have been very happy with my service from them for over 5 years (had it before I got here) .... it only takes about 3-4 days before I receive my mail from the US ...... once they get to know your location here the local delivery is much faster ...... now they just have the guard at the door sign for it and he brings it to me .....

The only complain I have about their service is they will open any packages to insure their contents if there is any doubt as to what they contain ..... but then that is the law when shipping stuff other than mail from foreign countries ..... so it really is not their fault ..... ex. ....... it ended up costing me over $90 to have a Magic Jack shipped by USA Box ..... their cost plus double the cost of the Magic Jack to get it through customs ....... oh well .... live and learn .... next time I will send it USPS ..... cost is about the same shipping wise but no customs ...... it doesn't take long to learn all the little tricks ...... :hystery: :hystery:

Yes, I worked for an Int'l express shipping company so I know very well that customers can be shocked by the costs involved for shipping and customs.

If you are interested in USA internet ordering and consolidation for shipping overseas, there are several companies doing it now and they are growing by leaps and bounds, so there must be an advantage to some customers. The exchange rates in the destination country are one of the key factors that determine if it is viable. One company I know of is http://www.myus.com/ and they have many customers in Australia, so I assume that the exchange rate is working for those customers.

Some of the Balikbayan box companies are now offering similar services, and those might be worth researching, and usually a BB box gets through without duties (from what I have heard here on the forum).

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I have found that it's extremely rare that you will need a physical letter forwarded (big exception is credit card replacements) but the service I use will scan the contents to a pdf for $1.50 so there's no need for the original. Does USABox offer that included for $15 a month?

USA BOX does offer that but I believe it is $10 a pop. $1.50 is a good deal.

Yes, I would anticipate not needing to forward very often, and credit card renewals might be the trigger for a shipment. If you can see the mail envelope online, and are unsure if it is important, one option is to call the company who sent it and ask. Of course you need a cost effective way to make the phone call.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Yes, I would anticipate not needing to forward very often, and credit card renewals might be the trigger for a shipment. If you can see the mail envelope online, and are unsure if it is important, one option is to call the company who sent it and ask. Of course you need a cost effective way to make the phone call.

The problem is with things like tax forms that you really need. Some are only available through the mail. If you have to ship everything or pay $10 to get it scanned the $15 a month isn't too good. Very hard to tell by looking at the outside of the envelope what's important or not. I guess I'll stick with Earth Class @ $1.50 a scan even though the monthly charges are more.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Mike ...... no they don't offer that type of service ..... all the do is send you a picture of the envelope so you can tell them if you want it or not ....... I usually only get mail 3-4 times a year but now that my 401k is done it may only be 2-3 times a year ....... things like my SS statement I get every year and other such stuff I really don't want someone opening and looking at ...... also my income check from the IRS which will be the last one I will get so now it will just be my CC's ...... I have gone as long as 6 months with out having anything sent ..... but I do keep my box culled out

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

The problem is with things like tax forms that you really need. Some are only available through the mail. If you have to ship everything or pay $10 to get it scanned the $15 a month isn't too good. Very hard to tell by looking at the outside of the envelope what's important or not. I guess I'll stick with Earth Class @ $1.50 a scan even though the monthly charges are more.

Yes, I looked at Earth Class but I wanted to have a Florida address so I don't have to pay state income tax and because I have a house there.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

They have Fl street addresses in Miami, same format as USABox. Charge is $14.95 per month for street address and $2.95 for PO Box. It's really hard to say which is better; they all have extra fees, devil's in the details. But the post office will forward your mail for 1 year so you can forward to a PO box, no problem. Where you have problems is some mail cannot be forwarded - anywhere. Some correspondence from social sec, for example. If it's returned that's a red flag.

• Like 1