Big Business, Big Brother

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Np Mike! It's all good!I used to really like MicroSoft until I saw what their business model was - keep coming out with new products and charge for the upgrades to. No matter what, just keep charging more. That turned me off of them. Now Google (who I loved!) has turned around and let me down too... As a techno-geek with a background in security (long ago!) they let me down extremely by excessively and extensively gathering all that info daily but not really being any good at security! That is why I have decided to look further... What can it hurt by using a Search Engine such as Go Go Duck instead of Google? Remember when I said I had a background in security? One of the biggest problems we had back then was physical... Thieves would wander into an office and then wander out with laptops all the time... (I did say I was doing this long ago! :nudie: ) This was cured by changing the system from "not securing the laptops to the desk" to "locking them to the desk". Same idea just a different time... We stopped the theft by locking down our information.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Np Mike! It's all good!I used to really like MicroSoft until I saw what their business model was - keep coming out with new products and charge for the upgrades to. No matter what, just keep charging more. That turned me off of them. Now Google (who I loved!) has turned around and let me down too... As a techno-geek with a background in security (long ago!) they let me down extremely by excessively and extensively gathering all that info daily but not really being any good at security! That is why I have decided to look further... What can it hurt by using a Search Engine such as Go Go Duck instead of Google? Remember when I said I had a background in security? One of the biggest problems we had back then was physical... Thieves would wander into an office and then wander out with laptops all the time... (I did say I was doing this long ago! :tiphat: ) This was cured by changing the system from "not securing the laptops to the desk" to "locking them to the desk". Same idea just a different time... We stopped the theft by locking down our information.
Laptop theft is still a big problem. In that movie they mention an incident of laptop laptop theft from a hotel room that resulted in the loss of a lot customer data. Why is an employee having this data on their laptop? It shows a complete lack of internal security processes.
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I used to really like MicroSoft until I saw what their business model was - keep coming out with new products and charge for the upgrades to. No matter what, just keep charging more. That turned me off of them. Now Google (who I loved!) has turned around and let me down too..
Come onDo you really expect that anything in this world is not there to make a dollar for someone? That's how the whole chain works and always will. Never seen a car yard with a sign up saying cars free here, never seen a hotel saying everyone stays free after first night.Upgrades cost money to do, why should they be free for what, say 1000 upgrades?If you had a lawn mowing service you would be very busy, second cut and future cuts free. :tiphat:
  • Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Want to see the face of big business in general? Look in the mirror. Most companies out there are publicly traded. Retirement funds are owners of company shares or government bonds. You put money in a savings account and banks leverage that with loans. People expect to see their money grow when they invest it. I could go into governemts being elected by people but it is not the same in all countries.

i am bob
Posted
Posted
I used to really like MicroSoft until I saw what their business model was - keep coming out with new products and charge for the upgrades to. No matter what, just keep charging more. That turned me off of them. Now Google (who I loved!) has turned around and let me down too..
Come onDo you really expect that anything in this world is not there to make a dollar for someone? That's how the whole chain works and always will. Never seen a car yard with a sign up saying cars free here, never seen a hotel saying everyone stays free after first night.Upgrades cost money to do, why should they be free for what, say 1000 upgrades?If you had a lawn mowing service you would be very busy, second cut and future cuts free. :hystery:
True... But how do you make money with, say, this forum? Of course there's always adsense and donations to assist you in paying to keep this site running but you don't charge to come on here... It's a labour of love! That is how a lot of free apps work too! I use Ubuntu as my operating system rather than Windows. I really like the fact that it's free - but I also know that the company who makes Ubuntu (Canonical) also makes commercial software. Ubuntu is their (chose one) gift back from the corporate world, a testing bed for some of their corporate apps and programs, a try to become more popular than MicroSoft, and on and on and on... It doesn't always have to be 100% the almighty dollar!