Us Bank Recommendation

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I have read many banking topics yet I still would like to ask for a US bank recommendation. I currently have checking/savings accounts at Chase, Fifth Third, Capital One Savings and a credit union. I would like to consolidate them into no more than 2 accounts, and at least one would be a more international oriented bank.I was thinking of an HSBC account but someone posted that they are probably closing shop in Phils. What other banks are "cross border" friendly? Avoidance of excessive charges is also a factor but I don't plan on using bank services for money transfer, etc., so I am mainly concerned about normal bank fees (or lack thereof is better) and employees who understand cross border banking for individuals.I have seen Citibank and Wells Fargo mentioned before. Any others, or any pros and cons on any banks?When I was in Germany I had several banking problems caused basically by the banks inability to think internationally. I hope to avoid that, this time around. :cheersty:

earthdome
Posted
Posted

From the research I did last summer, Capital One was rated highly for use internationally for credit cards, low fees and good exchange rates.Here is a google search for recent articles on this:http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=best+credit+card+for+international+travel&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

The pre-planning is great. I've done a lot myself. Since you have decided to do the check deposit thing, you will of course need at least one bank in each country. Unless you are thinking of doing a lot of bank to bank transactions/transfers, which you stated most likely not, then the question may be a little moot. I would find a good bank in the US which gives you the best rates and service. Talk to the manager and get to know them and establish a record with them. For me, I will use my credit union because they know me and my plans and have a little better rates than the banks. As far as in the Philippines, it will depend a little on where you live and what banks are available in the given location. You will beat me there so keep us informed of your findings and decisions.danny

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
From the research I did last summer, Capital One was rated highly for use internationally for credit cards, low fees and good exchange rates.Here is a google search for recent articles on this:http://www.google.co...=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Thanks! I didn't mention that I do have a Capital One credit card that I have had for years, and I will probably keep it. I'm not working now, so it might be tought to get another. Right now, I would like to select a good US bank for my other banking needs (automatic deposit, checking, maybe small savings). Once in the Phils, after some time, I will get a local credit card, if possible.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The HUGE advantage of Capital One is they do not charge foreign transaction fees for purchases and withdrawals (US-based cards only) and the exchange rate is generally good, but my understanding is the rate is controlled by MC/Visa, not the issuing bank. If you use the card to withdraw cash at an HSBC or Citibank ATM there are no charges at all. Chase is one of the worst for foreign fees.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
The HUGE advantage of Capital One is they do not charge foreign transaction fees for purchases and withdrawals (US-based cards only) and the exchange rate is generally good, but my understanding is the rate is controlled by MC/Visa, not the issuing bank. If you use the card to withdraw cash at an HSBC or Citibank ATM there are no charges at all. Chase is one of the worst for foreign fees.
Thanks Mike! I will have to check the terms of all my Capital One savings and credit cards to make sure, but that certainly is attractive. I opened a Capital One direct savings (online only) account several years ago because they had the best savings rates going. They all almost nothing now, like everyone else, but I think they are still a bit better than others.My Capital One credit card rewards are also getting me a free ticket for my girlfriend to come over next month! :cheersty:

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

USAAonly 1% transaction fee when used internationally. ATM fees up to $15.00 rebatedOnline services, Military Friendly, for your savings if you want a better APRyes inquire at your LOCAL credit union

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just remember that any bank that you choose to use here in the Philippines that has affiliations with a bank in the US is required by law to notify the federal government of any and all transaction completed here ..... this law will take place I believe this year if it hasn't already ..... I have heard of several people who have already closed their accounts with Citibank here in the Phils and gone with other banks ..... not implying anything here just letting you know what you should be aware of ..... as the US tightens it's grip on money outside the US you can and will expect more laws and regs written to protect us from ourselves ..... only banks that have NO affiliations in the US will be exempt from this reporting ..... but if you don't mind big brother looking over your shoulder don't worry about it .... for now ..... :cheersty: :no: ...... just to make this a bit clearer that ONLY applies to bank accounts you open up here .... not bank accounts you have in the US .....

Edited by Mike S

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
USAAonly 1% transaction fee when used internationally. ATM fees up to $15.00 rebatedOnline services, Military Friendly, for your savings if you want a better APRyes inquire at your LOCAL credit union
Thanks for the reminder! I have seen USAA highly recommended before and looked at joining, but thought I did not qualify. Now I see: Other IndividualsUSAA's investment products, most checking and savings products, credit cards, life insurance, and shopping and discounts are available to other individuals.USAA auto and property insurance is not available due to membership eligibility requirements. New Hampshire and North Carolina residents who are not eligible for membership may be able to obtain USAA auto insurance by calling 1-800-531-USAA (8722) to determine eligibility as defined by these state's mandatory coverage laws.All other individuals not eligible for USAA auto insurance may be able to obtain an auto policy through Progressive Insurance by calling 1-888-870-8096.
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
GregZ
Posted
Posted
Thanks for the reminder! I have seen USAA highly recommended before and looked at joining, but thought I did not qualify. Now I see: Other IndividualsUSAA's investment products, most checking and savings products, credit cards, life insurance, and shopping and discounts are available to other individuals.USAA auto and property insurance is not available due to membership eligibility requirements. New Hampshire and North Carolina residents who are not eligible for membership may be able to obtain USAA auto insurance by calling 1-800-531-USAA (8722) to determine eligibility as defined by these state's mandatory coverage laws.All other individuals not eligible for USAA auto insurance may be able to obtain an auto policy through Progressive Insurance by calling 1-888-870-8096.

I use USAA for EVerYTHing since 1987. If you are eligible... banking, investments, auto/home insurance, more; they understand international like nobody else. I guess the number is toll free??? I have never called from the Philippines.

Banking Services for contacting from Philippines

Phone Number: 00-800-531-87220 Hours of Operation: Monday to Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 10 p.m. CT

Saturday, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. CT

• Like 2