Us Bank Recommendation

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I've been with Navy Federal since the late 80's but have never really used them internationally. I don't think they have any branches in the PI now so would they be a bad choice? I was looking at USAA as well. I am making a list of things to do before moving and establishing a good bank account is very high up on the list. Does USAA have Philippine branches? Or just do international and online really well?

My main account right now is with the Teachers Credit Union... barely a local bank. I would not consider them for much internationally.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

T R ...... I use a Florida Credit Union as one of my bank accounts that I send my monthly check from here to but I also have an account with HSBC for my SS deposit ...... I just like the credit union as they seem a tad bit safer than some banks .... IMHO

• 2 weeks later...
Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
.I was thinking of an HSBC account

Those are pretty popular and I just found out why, while watching CNN:

HSBC faces U.S. Senate probe over money laundering scandal

WASHINGTON - Officials of HSBC Holdings Plc pledged to a U.S. Senate panel on Tuesday that the bank is changing the way it polices illicit funds, but senators were skeptical the bank could deliver on promises it had broken before.

HSBC's top compliance officer announced he was stepping down and that the bank will shut down businesses in secret havens such as the Cayman Islands, but those offers did not blunt the senators' allegations that the bank sacrificed propriety for profits.

The hearing by the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations came a day after it released a 400-plus-page report detailing how the British bank acted as a financier to clients routing funds from the world's most dangerous corners, including Mexico, Iran and Syria.

While money laundering problems at HSBC have been flagged by regulators for nearly a decade, the criticism comes at a sensitive time for the banking industry.

ng scandal

i am bob
Posted
Posted

And the banks keep on making money and more money and more money... Dang thieves

:mocking: !

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Yup speaking of HSBC ...... and if you keep believing the crap the news media is spitting out about how good the US economy is now and how much better it will be soon ..... then how come I get this email from HSBC ..... oh and by the way this is the first one I've gotten like this in years .......

Thank you for saving your money with HSBC. We want to let you know that your Online Payment Account Annual Percentage Yield was lowered to 0.01% APY1 as of July 16, 2012.

Rate changes like this are thoughtfully considered and are made in response to market conditions and prevailing interest rates. Regardless of the environment, HSBC will continue to let you know about rate changes to your Online Payment Account.

Wonder if the if the fear of god from the US Senate had something to do with this ...... yea right ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
0.01% APY

Why even bother with interest? This is just an insult!

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
and if you keep believing the crap the news media is spitting out about how good the US economy is now and how much better it will be soon

So right. The US economy has been down for 4-5 years... and will probably remain down for at least another 4-5 years... especially with huge government deficit spending.

In the state where I live they are touting how the unemployment rate is down... but that number does not include those who are not on the official government unemployment roles... so the official unemployment rate dropped... supposedly good news... but the actual number of people with jobs dropped also.

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
and if you keep believing the crap the news media is spitting out about how good the US economy is now and how much better it will be soon

So right. The US economy has been down for 4-5 years... and will probably remain down for at least another 4-5 years... especially with huge government deficit spending.

In the state where I live they are touting how the unemployment rate is down... but that number does not include those who are not on the official government unemployment roles... so the official unemployment rate dropped... supposedly good news... but the actual number of people with jobs dropped also.

You are absolutely right. By decreasing the number of weeks one can collect unemployment benefits the government removed hundreds of thousands from the ranks of the unemployed. They aren't even counted anymore, therefore unemployment has gone down. Mark Twain said there are three kinds of lies, "lies, damn lies and statistics"

Mike S
Posted
Posted
0.01% APY

Why even bother with interest? This is just an insult!

Gee I wonder if I will have to report it to the IRS next year ....... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: