Atm's

jode
Posted
Posted

I just checked my bank statement online and it shows two questionable withdrawals on a trip I took during holy Week to manila and Bagio. The widrawals seem to be duplicated on the same day twice and no fee was charged for each of the duplicate withdrawals. Both were from dimly lit ATM's one on and other near Roxas Blvd. in Ermita. At one the taxi driver was scared to be there and kept saying -dangerous.A couple years ago had a duplicate withdrawal at an ATM in Cebu. The first time everything seemed to go ok but no money came out. So I tried again and the second time i got my money. Later on my bank statement it showed two withdrawals a minute apart. I complained to my bank in USA and to my surprise they checked into it and got the money for false withdrawal refunded. I will have to go through the hassle of calling the banks here and/or in USA again to check on what I believe are the two false withdrawals.I have a good income and simple tastes so usually don't spend alot of time worrying about the peso outlay unless it starts to dig into my reserve too much. To me not worrying about money all the time is part of the enjoyment of retirenment. I just keep cash in my wallet and lead a reasonably frugal life. However from now on I will have to be more careful at ATM's and keep a closer account on my use of them. Bye the way I have an account in USA that refunds atm fees at foreign banks. Every withdrawal there is a $2.80 or so refund of the atm fees. I hate paying bank fees so that is a way to save money. Have to keep $10,000 in account at my bank to be able to have type of account that has that feature.I know most on forums i have read say they have no trouble at ATM's but these examples show I have experiences fraud here. Has anyone else had problems with ATM's?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Just a question, how much were the duplicates? Does it say what they are and I notice on my online statements that when it is holidays or weekends it takes a working day to view what the transaction was. This might be different for you as mine is an Australian account but my main question was it just a small amount that could be some sort of fee?

jode
Posted
Posted

Just a question, how much were the duplicates? Does it say what they are and I notice on my online statements that when it is holidays or weekends it takes a working day to view what the transaction was. This might be different for you as mine is an Australian account but my main question was it just a small amount that could be some sort of fee?

No it was the 10,000 peso daily maximum and all other info about the withdrawal was same - same info two withdrawals when I only made one so I am out 20,000 pesos no small ammount.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Thank you for the advice/warning on what could happen when we use "local" ATM's :thumbsup:

just shows that we/me/you need to make sure that we

review our "local"transactions to make sure NO ERROR occurs.

By Having your USA (non local) bank to assist you this can solve some "errors" that can happen.

years ago I was using my BPI ATM card and the amount was not "disburshe"(sp).

after verified that the amount was "deducted" i went into the nearest branch, filed a report,

about 2 days later they redeposited the "missing" funds.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:unsure: On most, if not all ATM's, there is an Emergency Number to ring, if there is a Problem. Ring It! Never leave the problem til it is too late. Common sense I think!

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Can you share with US(forum) what your exchange rate was? what did it cost to obtain the 10K?

jode
Posted
Posted

Can you share with US(forum) what your exchange rate was? what did it cost to obtain the 10K?

$238.63 and $237.33 u do the math
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

:unsure: On most, if not all ATM's, there is an Emergency Number to ring, if there is a Problem. Ring It! Never leave the problem til it is too late. Common sense I think!

In the Philippines there's a good chance the number has not been available since before the ATM was installed. But its worth a try :)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

In the Philippines there's a good chance the number has not been available since before the ATM was installed. But its worth a try :)

:th_unfair: Damn & Blast And here was me, Thinking I was giving Some sound Advice. for once! :hystery: as you say JGF worth a try.

I have never needed to try but would the card Company (Visa/ MC) be able to help at all do you think?

Having a muliple draw on Record maybe they could bring a little pressure to bear on the offending bank.

Jack P. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Higg-num
Posted
Posted

Now I know there has to be a bank SOME freaking where in the states that if you keep X amount of U.S. dollars in checking they would NOT charge you P.I. ...ATM fee's.

KanoJoe posted about this and then ( Should be read in the strongest of Southern American accents ) up - n- R U N N O F T . :hystery:

Anyone know of a bank like this ????