Atm's

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Capital One still has no foreign transaction fees. Visa/MC still charge 1% but Cap 1 "absorbs" that.

http://www.creditcar...n-fees-1276.php

• Like 2

Higg-num
Posted
Posted

Thanks ! Just attempting to figure out the best way to get $$$ from my U.S. credit union to Cebu WTHOUT having to walk around with it in my pockets. I know Xoom but that still means one has to " store " it somewhere secure.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)

:unsure: On most, if not all ATM's, there is an Emergency Number to ring, if there is a Problem. Ring It! Never leave the problem til it is too late. Common sense I think!

In the Philippines there's a good chance the number has not been available since before the ATM was installed. But its worth a try :)

:th_unfair: Damn & Blast And here was me, Thinking I was giving Some sound Advice. for once! :hystery: as you say JGF worth a try.

I have never needed to try but would the card Company (Visa/ MC) be able to help at all do you think?

Having a muliple draw on Record maybe they could bring a little pressure to bear on the offending bank.

Jack P. :)

Jack what atms do you use when you are here in the phills. I have a visa card and a MasterCard from nat west, but have not had to use them yet but will have to use them in a short while.

Thanks for any help you can give

Kevin

Edited by sonjack2847

Higg-num
Posted
Posted

Mike B big thanks! I'm about to open an account with them if they will work with my credit union. Other than setting up a XOOM account (assuming its the best) is there another way to access an emergency fund if I have Capital One issues?? Just trying to formulate my plan and feel a little overwhelmed.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Mike B big thanks! I'm about to open an account with them if they will work with my credit union. Other than setting up a XOOM account (assuming its the best) is there another way to access an emergency fund if I have Capital One issues?? Just trying to formulate my plan and feel a little overwhelmed.

Open a local acct w/atm card when you get here. If there's a problem with any overseas bank you can access emergency funds locally. I would also get a safe, securely installed and out of sight.

• Like 1

jode
Posted
Posted (edited)

As a followup to my original post I called my bank and they checked my records and saw that the two withdrawals I questioned, were actually a couple days apart from the withdrawals I thought they were duplicating. The post date was the same do to it not showing the actual date, do to weekend or holiday withdrawals. Anyway she convinced me that maybe I did make all the withdrawals in question. I still think I didn't (couldn't have been spending that much money). But my poor memory lately and lax personal accounting makes me not have enough to take it any further. So maybe I am out 500 bucks or maybe i just spent $500 bucks more than I remember doing on vacation. There was that crazy night on Burgeos st. when I was the king and lady drinks were flowing like water.

Lesson is to not be so loose using ATM's and keep closer account of spending I guess. I did have that documented case I mentioned though of ATM fraud so it does exist for sure.

A correction to my original post is that the fees my bank refunds for each ATM withdrawal is not $2.20 I mentioned from memory but actually about $4.50 after checking, or the 200 peso per withdrawal that Philippine banks charge when using a card from a foreign bank. PNC is my bank that has the checking account with that feature. You have to keep an average monthly balance of at least $10,000 dollars in that special checking account.

Once you are here you can set up an account in a local bank of course and wire money to it from your account in your country. PNC charged me $40 to wire $10,000. Then you will have a local account and can use their ATM card to withdraw money with no ATM fees.

Edited by jode
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:unsure: On most, if not all ATMs, there is an Emergency Number to ring, if there is a Problem. Ring It! Never leave the problem til it is too late. Common sense I think!

In the Philippines there's a good chance the number has not been available since before the ATM was installed. But its worth a try :)

:th_unfair: Damn & Blast And here was me, Thinking I was giving Some sound Advice. for once! :hystery: as you say JGF worth a try.

I have never needed to try but would the card Company (Visa/ MC) be able to help at all do you think?

Having a multiple draw on Record maybe they could bring a little pressure to bear on the offending bank.

Jack P. :)

Jack what atms do you use when you are here in the hills. I have a visa card and a MasterCard from natwest, but have not had to use them yet but will have to use them in a short while.

Thanks for any help you can give

Kevin

Sorry for the late reply, I tend to use PNB or BPI machines but usually just try and use those ATMs that clearly show cards available. The safest I have found are those in Shopping malls, I use Robinson's a lot and there I try and use China Bank. I think the name of the Machine Operator is EXPRESSTIL, I will ask Azon to look at my favored one in our local Supermarket but up to date I have had no problems (OHH! wish I had not said that :bonk:)

Jack P.

• Like 3

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
A correction to my original post is that the fees my bank refunds for each ATM withdrawal is not $2.20 I mentioned from memory but actually about $4.50 after checking, or the 200 peso per withdrawal that Philippine banks charge when using a card from a foreign bank. PNC is my bank that has the checking account with that feature. You have to keep an average monthly balance of at least $10,000 dollars in that special checking account.

USAA refunds up to $15.00 a month in those nasty fees monthly & NO monthly balance requirement,

I use my "checking" ATM/master/debt card to obtain my expenses, I used to use BPI.BDO for most of my ATM w/d til they started the 200.php fee.

I still use BPI as they have many locations here & they have a 24hr express teller that allows (24hr) deposits at some main locations

when I am in Metro Manila. I will use the CITIBANK or HSBC ATM as they have NO FEE to withdraw

and allows up to 15 K(citibank) 20 K for HSBC .

(i maybe wrong on citibank as 15 is the max I ever take out)

I have used(been member with) USAA since 1988 and have been very happy with the service

USAA does understand that not all "members"(customers) are in the USA,

altho not a "true"international bank they provide service worldwide-shipwide

from the (fort)HOOD to the UK,and in between ,

United Army
Posted
Posted

USAA refunds up to $15.00 a month in those nasty fees monthly & NO monthly balance requirement,

I use my "checking" ATM/master/debt card to obtain my expenses, I used to use BPI.BDO for most of my ATM w/d til they started the 200.php fee.

I still use BPI as they have many locations here & they have a 24hr express teller that allows (24hr) deposits at some main locations

when I am in Metro Manila. I will use the CITIBANK or HSBC ATM as they have NO FEE to withdraw

and allows up to 15 K(citibank) 20 K for HSBC .

(i maybe wrong on citibank as 15 is the max I ever take out)

I have used(been member with) USAA since 1988 and have been very happy with the service

USAA does understand that not all "members"(customers) are in the USA,

altho not a "true"international bank they provide service worldwide-shipwide

from the (fort)HOOD to the UK,and in between ,

I use USAA also, a very good bank and very helpful. With regards to the ATM, USAA will give you 10 free ATM withdraws per month then its a $2 fee after that. At Citibank the max you can take out per withdraw is 15,000P. If I need to take out more than the $600 dollar limit on my Debit Card I will call USAA and ask for an increase for 24 hours and they will do that up to $3,000 after 24 hours the limit goes back down to $600 per day. I do this right after payday to get my money for my next monthly expenses, it seems to work out very good for me.

• Like 1

Higg-num
Posted
Posted (edited)

O.K. Here is MY dilemma ( Or one of many ) Maybe just allow me to talk this through with you guys and give me ya'll's opinion ( Please )

I have opened a USAA account. Never used it yet. My local Military credit union is where most of my income is directly deposited and one small automatic bill pay out are set up.

I MAY be better off going through all the red tape to set up my auto drafts to USAA & leave a minimum in the U.S. local Military credit union. Once my auto drafts are set at USAA then open a HSBC bank account as a " Back-up " in the U.S. before I leave. Thus.... when I arrive in Cebu I have a place to physically walk in a speak with a rep 1 on 1 in the event I have ANY sort of problems.

Remember folks...I will not be a citizen there in Cebu and am not allowed to have a local checking account unless it is attached to /have branches in my home country U.S.A. ( This is my understanding @ this point )

BTW......USAA yesterday stated that they would be charging me 1 % ( Master-card policy ) PLUS whatever the local ATM's charge with NO reimbursement according to my notes for OVERSEAs /P.I. ( I have spoken with several banks so I may have noted this incorrectly under USAA....I'll be calling them today if I get time. )

However since HSBC has both local ( U.S. ) & Cebu P.I. physical locations and IF they do NOT charge ATM fee's or at least refund them then seems HSBC is the best option. I simply set-up from my Military credit union auto-draft into an HSBC bank account every month @ a certain day for a certain amount.

What say you all ???

p.s. I am Bob said he got burned by HSBC.....anyone have experience with HSBC ???

Edited by Higg-num