Philippines Or Thailand

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

I would think long and hard before deciding to move to thailand for good. Lets face it, the nationality of the gal you settle with is going to determine where you end up. There is a lot to be said for "living" in a country where english the defacto language, the newspapers and TV stations are in english, roadsigns, legal documents, water and electric bills, are in english. Now I have never been to thailand, but I am going to hazard a guess that once your away from the tourist areas or major cities, english will not be spoken. If you move to thailand and find your future partner, you will be totally dependant on her for translation and just about every transaction. I would further hazard that the only people in thailand you could really have a conversation with is another english speaking expat. Think long, think hard before giving up on the Philippines.

Thanks, you're right about the language but I will be retired and would try to learn, I already speak Spanish and some French so I'm not completely unfamiliar with other languages. I have been to Thailand many times over the last few years and have tried several different parts of it. I will think long and hard.

I learnt Thai for a period in my younger days when a prospective job on a pearl farm in Phuket was on the horizen. Its a language like any other....you get back what you put in. Be prepared for a few laughs as your attempt at a word with the wrong tone gives it a completely different meaning. Murphy's lore states that it will surely have a dirty meaning hehehe. I used to practise by selecting bar girls that spoke no english...got good value for money there. The people are impressed that a farang is learning their language and will compliment you with a geng mak.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Well I cant say since you seem to be referring to Davao for short term condo/apartment type accommodation but I do know that short term condos are available in Cebu and I have some Emails here from a year or two back which gave me discounts for monthly stays in hotels or pension houses which I might add some hotels have small kitchens in them as I was looking for that a couple of years ago myself and found them.

Davao is not so tourist savory so they probably do not cater so much for short term like Cebu does.

Anyway I doubt if one money hungry family experience should shatter you idea of finding a woman in the Philippines or retiring there. Put it down as bad luck as nothings going to say the same wont happen in Thailand or Cambodia or where ever is next on the list.

• Like 3

Garpo
Posted
Posted

I think if I was to end up in your situation. I would tell the girl and her mom that I had decided to move to Thailand rather than the Philippines and then I would book my flight for the Philippines...... :hystery: :thumbsup: :cheersty:

• Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted

Unless you have been to Thailand I dont think you can compare it to the Philippines just by reading, You have to experience the country and culture, I have been to Thailand approx 20 times, And the only downside compared to the Philippines is the language,But I lived there for a while and survived ok, So its not really a major problem, Of course you get the beggars, the scams, the corruption, like any country, If it were not for a Filipina, Thailand is were I would most definitely go to live, Cheaper, Cleaner, tourist friendly.

• Like 5

Curley
Posted
Posted

Well I cant say since you seem to be referring to Davao for short term condo/apartment type accommodation but I do know that short term condos are available in Cebu and I have some Emails here from a year or two back which gave me discounts for monthly stays in hotels or pension houses which I might add some hotels have small kitchens in them as I was looking for that a couple of years ago myself and found them.

Davao is not so tourist savory so they probably do not cater so much for short term like Cebu does.

Anyway I doubt if one money hungry family experience should shatter you idea of finding a woman in the Philippines or retiring there. Put it down as bad luck as nothings going to say the same wont happen in Thailand or Cambodia or where ever is next on the list.

Yes you're quite right one bad apple does not mean they're all like that. I am truly torn between the two, each has it's good and bad points and I do believe that the Fillipinas are in general better wife material.

Curley
Posted
Posted

Unless you have been to Thailand I dont think you can compare it to the Philippines just by reading, You have to experience the country and culture, I have been to Thailand approx 20 times, And the only downside compared to the Philippines is the language,But I lived there for a while and survived ok, So its not really a major problem, Of course you get the beggars, the scams, the corruption, like any country, If it were not for a Filipina, Thailand is were I would most definitely go to live, Cheaper, Cleaner, tourist friendly.

I have been going to Thailand 3 or 4 times a year for the last 5 years, each visit for 3 or 4 weeks so I have more time spent in Thailand than the Philippines although the Philippines visits have been spread over 10 years.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Who knows? Maybe with a little time and knowing what a great guy she lost might result in someone deciding where she truly wants to be and with who - and who isn't going to ruin her life for her... Is it too late in that case?

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I have been going to Thailand 3 or 4 times a year for the last 5 years, each visit for 3 or 4 weeks so I have more time spent in Thailand than the Philippines although the Philippines visits have been spread over 10 years.

I think he was referring to others who are giving opinions about which is best w/o actually visiting Thailand. I haven't either but I'm planning to in June. The culture and religion interest me a very much.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I was originally looking at Chiang Mai because I heard so much about how great it is for retirees. And the culture of Thailand is a lot more interesting to me. But honestly it was the language that got me to try Cebu. I still have not been to Thailand but the English in the PI's seems to be more important to me than I thought it would. I visited Cebu last year and really did like it. But, unfortunately, the Philippines is the least Asian of any part of Asia I have been to. The occidental influence is everywhere. And it is just sooooo Catholic. (nothing against Catholics, but I prefer the Buddhism of Thailand). The Philippines have some good retirement visas, the bank amount is about the same as Thailand but the monthly income requirement is much lower in the PI's. That also played a big part in my Philippines decision. I can always vacation in Thailand.

Once I retire there I do plan on traveling around a bit so I could move elsewhere later... as long as I don't marry the first cute Filipino I meet! (and I bet I do)

As far as the women... you never know. Thailand or Philippines doesn't matter, some will want you - some will want your wallet. And it is hard to know until it is too late :tiphat:

So basically I have talked myself into the PI's and can't really give you any advice. Just explaining my line of reasoning...

• Like 2

Curley
Posted
Posted

I was originally looking at Chiang Mai because I heard so much about how great it is for retirees. And the culture of Thailand is a lot more interesting to me. But honestly it was the language that got me to try Cebu. I still have not been to Thailand but the English in the PI's seems to be more important to me than I thought it would. I visited Cebu last year and really did like it. But, unfortunately, the Philippines is the least Asian of any part of Asia I have been to. The occidental influence is everywhere. And it is just sooooo Catholic. (nothing against Catholics, but I prefer the Buddhism of Thailand). The Philippines have some good retirement visas, the bank amount is about the same as Thailand but the monthly income requirement is much lower in the PI's. That also played a big part in my Philippines decision. I can always vacation in Thailand.

Once I retire there I do plan on traveling around a bit so I could move elsewhere later... as long as I don't marry the first cute Filipino I meet! (and I bet I do)

As far as the women... you never know. Thailand or Philippines doesn't matter, some will want you - some will want your wallet. And it is hard to know until it is too late :tiphat:

So basically I have talked myself into the PI's and can't really give you any advice. Just explaining my line of reasoning...

As I said before, there are pros and cons for both places. One thing is absolutely certain and that is that any young woman WILL be influenced by my wallet. I don't care what any girl says, there is no way she would prefer an older foreigner over a younger Fillipino or Thai with the same level of financial stability! ..... it's the "service" she gives in return that's important. Will the offer of a lifetime of living at a decent level be attractive enough OR will she or the family want a lump sum NOW or milk the cash cow for as much as they can while it lasts?.