Observations Of Cebu

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Observations of CebuWell we have been here almost a month now and we have been coming back and forth to Cebu and Cebu City for quite a bunch of years now and I have watched Cebu growing in many ways....... The buildings are getting bigger and many of the old buildings are either being replaces with new ones or upgraded to look more modern......The people are getting taller and many are also getting wider and it is no longer unusual to see a chubby Filipino and some are just plain fat.......Today in SM I observed some ladies and a few men that were down right squatty.......The malls are fast becoming more modern and most anything can now be found in SM and or Ayala.......There are more cars on the road and more and more of them are newer vehicles......... I guess the modern world is coming to the Philippines, both in good ways and bad........If there are any Filipinos reading this, please wake up before it is too late and you and your loved ones let the fast food world kill you all, like it is doing in first world countries.

Hoz
Posted
Posted

Fe and I don't get back and forth as much as you and Nila but I have noticed the same thing about the Filipino race "growing".My first visit in 1985 I could stand in a group of people (like at the market) and gaze across the tops of their heads. I was at least a foot taller than the crowd and I'm only 5' 10'!The only "fat" Filipinos were of the upper class. Everyone else were petite. Now, over 20 years later, The people are taller and wider as you note. Better nutrition? Badder nutrition? Too much Jolliebees and Pizza?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Fe and I don't get back and forth as much as you and Nila but I have noticed the same thing about the Filipino race "growing".My first visit in 1985 I could stand in a group of people (like at the market) and gaze across the tops of their heads. I was at least a foot taller than the crowd and I'm only 5' 10'!The only "fat" Filipinos were of the upper class. Everyone else were petite. Now, over 20 years later, The people are taller and wider as you note. Better nutrition? Badder nutrition? Too much Jolliebees and Pizza?
That was what I was wondering about. Could it be better nutrition or just changes due to getting out and about or possibly intermixing with foreigners blood. Hoz, I made the same basic observation (as I stated) in Cebu because even a few years back, I remember being a head taller than most Filipinos and now I am seeing more and more people my size, 5'11" and some even taller, and I am wondering why because in Cagayan de Oro they do not seem to be growing quite as fast as in Cebu and they do seem to have the same fast food junk there........ Maybe it is because they do not earn as much in CDO so maybe they cannot eat out as much? Anyone have any better ideas why?

PhilIsles
Posted
Posted
That was what I was wondering about. Could it be better nutrition or just changes due to getting out and about or possibly intermixing with foreigners blood. Hoz, I made the same basic observation (as I stated) in Cebu because even a few years back, I remember being a head taller than most Filipinos and now I am seeing more and more people my size, 5'11" and some even taller, and I am wondering why because in Cagayan de Oro they do not seem to be growing quite as fast as in Cebu and they do seem to have the same fast food junk there........ Maybe it is because they do not earn as much in CDO so maybe they cannot eat out as much? Anyone have any better ideas why?
Mr Lee and Hoz, I think you are both right on your observation. I will add that people now does not do a lot of exercise(exercise due to circuntance). When I was growing up there we walked a lot then. Whenever we go from point a to b to c, we ride once and then walked the rest of the way or walked from point a to b then get a ride to point c. Nowadays it seems whereever you go you can just hop in a jeepney or ride the "habalhabal" or the trikes. Also, fastfood is everywhere, in my time we always eat homecooked foods. Now I am showing my age. Anyways, I do agree with your observations.Hope to see you soon Mr Lee. I'm really looking forward to my coming home for a visit.Lacion Girl

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

PhilIsles, you make a good point about walking. The places I have visited in the metro Cebu City area I have been unable to walk from place to place. There is no sidewalk or if there is one vendors use it and you must walk in the street a very unsafe place to be.

samatm
Posted
Posted

I think its definitely nutrition. When I go back to the Province , Im back to being a giant at 5'11... I believe the new city diet has more protien and milk...Also... did you notice Cebu City becoming trashier.. as in more litter and garbage and eyesores than in the past. Simple things like litter bins and re-education could make a powerful impact on the city. I was in Cebu 10 years ago and just dont rember the streets being so littered and dirty (maybe they were did I "misremember"?) Also the Grafitti is really ugly... You would think that around heavy tourist areas like Fuente Osmena for example there would be street sweepers and trash cans etc.. ... I dont want to sound too negative ..just my first impressions upon returning... other PI cities seem to take cleanliness more seriously.AlsoHow about more international... Korean, Japanese, Indian, Chinese..and lots more Foreigner retirees around.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I think its definitely nutrition. When I go back to the Province , Im back to being a giant at 5'11... I believe the new city diet has more protien and milk...Also... did you notice Cebu City becoming trashier.. as in more litter and garbage and eyesores than in the past. Simple things like litter bins and re-education could make a powerful impact on the city. I was in Cebu 10 years ago and just dont rember the streets being so littered and dirty (maybe they were did I "misremember"?) Also the Grafitti is really ugly... You would think that around heavy tourist areas like Fuente Osmena for example there would be street sweepers and trash cans etc.. ... I dont want to sound too negative ..just my first impressions upon returning... other PI cities seem to take cleanliness more seriously.AlsoHow about more international... Korean, Japanese, Indian, Chinese..and lots more Foreigner retirees around.
All great observations and welcome back Sam. I think you are correct about the litter and that might be because of so many more people, and it seems there are more gangs which probably cause the grafitti, and I guess since they watch TV more now and cable and satellite TV, they get to see movies and pick up the bad habits. ....I was really annoyed back a few years when I saw sex in the city on cable while staying in a hotel here, I said to my wife, there goes the morality and it seems I was correct because sadly there are also more and more girly bars popping up, which means more girls working in them and doing bar fines.Another thing that bothers me is that they seem to have picked up the rap music habit and I hate that in the states and hearing it here really upsets me, but this is their country and there is not much I can do about it. :thumbsup: Keep them coming guys and girls. :th_grouphug:

chimellie
Posted
Posted

I have been back and forth to Cebu 5 times now since 1998 and to tell the truth I never noticed much changes, the people still look the same, the streets are still dirty and crowded. Maybe I am not too observing. But for sure, the girls are always pretty, and they dress more sexy now than 10 years ago, what do you think MrLee ? Nila is too busy to read this forum, you can tell the truth now.

Terp
Posted
Posted

Funny when I used to visit the Philippines back in the 80's I thought they were taller back then. Again it may be my imagination but it appears to me that the older generation is taller than the younger with the exception of the Chinese. Also this might sound kind of crazy but I think foot wear has some to do with it. In the past flip flops were standard wear for a good portion of the population and you now see many wearing quality running shoes with decent soles built in that add an inch or so to your height.As far as weight is concerned, it's obvious they're heavier.Reason?Modern society with more people sitting on their butts even at the job with call centers being one example.Were not to many years ago heavy labor was more the norm for the male population at least.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I have been back and forth to Cebu 5 times now since 1998 and to tell the truth I never noticed much changes, the people still look the same, the streets are still dirty and crowded. Maybe I am not too observing. But for sure, the girls are always pretty, and they dress more sexy now than 10 years ago, what do you think MrLee ? Nila is too busy to read this forum, you can tell the truth now.
Chi, I have to admit that there are a lot of pretty girls, but I already found one who will put up with me, so I would never want to look for another or fool around.