Alternative Retirement Locations

retired
Posted
Posted

From time to time one finds posts from expats looking for options to residing in the Philippines . Maybe the relationship didn't work out , they are just tired of dealing with the system or whatever . Options tend to center around other Asian locations but not always . Happened to run into the one linked below . Maybe a thread starts that includes others as well .

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/best-place-retire-overseas-budget-163750049.html

earthdome
Posted
Posted

My older brother has been to Cuenca, Ecuador several times and spoke very highly of it. I may go there to visit with my brother the next time he goes. Cuenca seems to have everything except for one important thing, those lovely Filipina's!

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

:th_thbestpost:

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The piece on Cuenca, Ecuador is by Kathleen Peddicord, founder of the "Live and Invest Overseas" publishing group. More than 15 years ago, my plan was to publish the "Live & Retire in Hawaii" guide for seniors with dreams of becoming the future publisher for "Live & Retire in Arizona," "Live & Retire in Florida," etc. After accumulating more than 3,000 pages of research on Hawaii, the project was set aside for a more lucrative venture and it was never revived.

Peddicord's writing style indicates to me the possibility that she may not be actually visiting the retirement destinations. It's very superficial and the information is available from other guide publications. I learned during the period of my research that "borrowing" information is quite common. For example, many guides mention that the Contemporary Museum of Arts in Honolulu is free to the public every Wednesday. One guide mistakenly wrote this and others copied. The museum director told me this misinformation is the cause of so much irritation among visitors to Hawaii that the museum is permitting free entrance whenever a visitor quotes a guide as an authoritative source. (We try to be nice to visitors.)

For the "overseas retirement care" website, each facility has a slide show. The last frame is my picture as proof that I actually visited the place. My associate and Manila representative, Don Gordon Bell will do the same whenever he visits a facility to add to the website.

Going back to Cuenca, there is a book of drawings done by someone from the Ayala family. My wife flipped through the last "Not For Sale" copy at the Ayala Museum in Makati. She really likes it. "Cuenca" is a limited edition and out-of-print at the time of her visit. I plan to check several bookstores in Manila to ask if there are copies, assuming they printed a second edition. Unfortunately, most sales clerks just look you in the eye and say, "Out-of-stock." rather than make the effort.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I visited my brother a couple of times in Panama (stationed there). Lovely place, nice people, good food, most folks speak english, like americans, they still use the dollar as currency, good medical (he and his wife had all 3 of their kids there) and naturally lost of pretty gals. pretty mild climate, cost of living about on par with the american south. Would consider it as an option if i was married to a Panamanian gal.

• Like 4

Curley
Posted
Posted

I visited my brother a couple of times in Panama (stationed there). Lovely place, nice people, good food, most folks speak english, like americans, they still use the dollar as currency, good medical (he and his wife had all 3 of their kids there) and naturally lost of pretty gals. pretty mild climate, cost of living about on par with the american south. Would consider it as an option if i was married to a Panamanian gal.

Panama was on my list of possible retirement places, they have the best retirement package of anywhere, they really make an effort to get retirees. Apart from the new section of the capital city (and that is small) I did not find anywhere that I liked enough to put down my roots. There are some housing communities and a few golf courses with housing but little else to do. Girls? yes there were some but the actual numbers were not great and overall the looks were nothing special apart from a few stunners, I actually went out with an ex Miss Panama who at 40 years old looked 28 and was fabulous. Thailand and Philippines give far more choice of places to live and people to live with.

• Like 3

KanoJoe
Posted
Posted

I like Panama quite a bit, except for the fact that the USD is the de facto currency, so no leverage on exchange rates. Friendly, safe and you can live there on either end of the economic spectrum. I know several American expats that had been living in Costa Rica, then relocated to Panama for all the usual reasons.

Personally, I have a weakness for Colombia having spent quite a bit of time there and in fact, married a Colombiana from Villavicencio. We lived in Bogota and then Cartagena for a number of years. My only mistake was bringing her to the US. Back on topic, I could live in Cartagena, Medellin, Bogota or Cali in a heartbeat. The only problem is I now have a strong affinity for Asian women, so South / Central America is off the list for retirement locations.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Campero
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I have been thinking about Argentina and I will let you know sometime early next year after I take an extended vacation there with my partner (Pinay).

Advantages that I see are that you can own property there, and you can own firearms. Plus, from what my Spanish friends tell me, its just like living in Europe but a hell of a lot cheaper.

Check out some property ads there and you may be surprised.

I hope to post the outcome of our trip. We have been planning on going to Argentina for two years now.

Regards,

Campero

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I have been thinking about Argentina

I thought about it. My good friend who married an Argentinian girl says its a great place to retire but learning Spanish is a MUST, according to him. That lets me out.

• Like 1