State Pensions For Brits Information Please

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)

This may sound a bit morbid to some of you but I would like to cross all the ts and dot all the i,s.

I have paid enough NI contributions in the UK to qualify for a state pension when I reach the age whatever it is at the time.

My question is if I pass away before I start claiming my pension, can my Philippino wife claim anything or can she claim pension from my contributions when she reaches pensionable age.

I have 2 private ones that she can claim until the fund runs out.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Edited by sonjack2847

brock
Posted
Posted

Kevin...Don`t tell them your dead :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Ashanti
Posted
Posted

Your query is not very clear. Also bear in mind that with Pensions, there are a lot of factors to consider so it has to be a specific case.

In any case, 4x before you reach pension age, the Pension Service will write to you tol tell you how to claim your state pension or if you defer claiming, etc. Just remember that your widow will not inherit your basic pension if she herself is a full NICs payer in her own right. And she also loses the entitlement if she remarries.

Your widow if she is not full NIC contributor in her own right would also be entitled to claim bereavement benefit. But please, explain to her that it does not include paying for your body to be flown to PI for burial. :no: (honestly, there are a lot of Filipinos in UK trying to claim this!)

If you trawl the website Curley suggested, your question will be answered. Try the page below first:-

If you die before starting to claim the State Pension you have put off claiming

Your extra State Pension may be added to your spouse's or civil partner's State Pension. If you get an additional State Pension, they can still inherit some of this – usually around half.

From 6 April 2010, they may inherit extra State Pension or a lump sum payment from you. But only if either of the following applies:

·
they're a surviving husband or a surviving civil partner and they reach State Pension age on or after 6 April 2010

·
they're a surviving wife

They won't inherit if they re-marry or register again as a civil partner before reaching State Pension age.

Before 6 April 2010 only wives could inherit extra State Pension or a lump sum if they were widowed before they reached State Pension age. Husbands and civil partners had to be State Pension age or over when widowed.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensionsandretirementplanning/StatePension/DG_10026707

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)

Your query is not very clear. Also bear in mind that with Pensions, there are a lot of factors to consider so it has to be a specific case.

In any case, 4x before you reach pension age, the Pension Service will write to you tol tell you how to claim your state pension or if you defer claiming, etc. Just remember that your widow will not inherit your basic pension if she herself is a full NICs payer in her own right. And she also loses the entitlement if she remarries.

Your widow if she is not full NIC contributor in her own right would also be entitled to claim bereavement benefit. But please, explain to her that it does not include paying for your body to be flown to PI for burial. :no: (honestly, there are a lot of Filipinos in UK trying to claim this!)

If you trawl the website Curley suggested, your question will be answered. Try the page below first:-

If you die before starting to claim the State Pension you have put off claiming

Your extra State Pension may be added to your spouse's or civil partner's State Pension. If you get an additional State Pension, they can still inherit some of this – usually around half.

From 6 April 2010, they may inherit extra State Pension or a lump sum payment from you. But only if either of the following applies:

·
they're a surviving husband or a surviving civil partner and they reach State Pension age on or after 6 April 2010

·
they're a surviving wife

They won't inherit if they re-marry or register again as a civil partner before reaching State Pension age.

Before 6 April 2010 only wives could inherit extra State Pension or a lump sum if they were widowed before they reached State Pension age. Husbands and civil partners had to be State Pension age or over when widowed.

http://www.direct.go...ion/DG_10026707

Thanks for all the answers, Ashanti you have given me the info I was looking thanks. I am a UK citizen.

Edited by sonjack2847

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Good idea Brock, the dead tell no tales. :lol:

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Good idea Brock, the dead tell no tales. :lol:

Brock will go to the post office and get it for me then

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

The one thing to do for Sure, if the marriage was Conducted out of the UK, you will need have it registered in the UK. You can do this quite easily and although I did mine in Manila Embassy, it can be done on Line. Only then, can your Wife make any claim to your UK pension, after the sad day comes. If you do not Register it, it may take years to sort it all out.

Whilst it is not a Legal Requirement, it is very Helpful as by Doing this as, I found out about claiming things as a married man. TAX Allowances being one here in Europe. becomes a lot easier.

That all important seal, at the bottom with the Registration Number will Cut a lot of the Red tape out.

Hope this helps here.

Jack P. :)

post-2148-0-14396000-1334995135_thumb.jp

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
crazykopite
Posted
Posted

If you married outside of the UK you DO NOT have to have it registered in the UK your wife however would need to have the marriage and death certificate when making the claim

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

If you married outside of the UK you DO NOT have to have it registered in the UK your wife however would need to have the marriage and death certificate when making the claim

Hi Mate you are correct. But if you do register the marriage it is easier for your wife to claim. The Uk government takes long enough to pay when it has to without giving them any excuse to go slowly.
  • Like 2