Immigrating To Canada

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Hey guys, I'm getting a bit lazy here, but have been a bit to busy at work to check for myself.

I'm getting ready to apply for my wife's Perminent Residency Card to Canada, and I know that takes a year for Filipinas. I have a couple of questions:

1. How likely is it that she would be allowed to Canada with a Temporary Visa while her PRC is in processing? (We've been married 5 years, and have two Canadian kids together).

and...

2. What do you think about my brother-in-law getting his hotel to sponsor her over as an OFW, and applying for the PRC at the same time? (He's done it for lots of employees and says the agency is free for the Filipinos).

The only reason I'm considering the working visa through the brother in law is because I'm not sure she'll be allowed into canada while the prc is getting processed. I'd rather not wait another year to get the family back together.

mariposa
Posted
Posted

Sorry friend, I can't answer you this time.. all I know is about 9g Working Visa for foreigners who work here in PI. More on PI thats all.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I myself can't see any problems but you should be able to find the answers to your questions here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp

I would contact Citizenship and Immigration Canada directly (see link for contact info) and just ask them outright. Everybody I had contact with when I brought my ex from Taiwan was very helpful with information and offering the best way to do things as well as explaining what the different options were. Explain your brother-in-laws offer truthfully and they will be able to tell you if that will help or not!

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I would contact Citizenship and Immigration Canada directly

I almost thought that was a wonderful idea and was about to do it myself, until I read:

The Call Centre can answer questions, in English and French, about Citizenship and Immigration (CIC) services and programs, or applications in process inside Canada.

And I realized they only supply the 888 number which can only be dialed within Canada. Rats. Another good idea foiled. I surely wish I could just go to the Canadian Embassy and sit down, one on one, with a real immigration official and ask questions. I wonder if that can be done of if talking face to face is just too old fashioned.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Ouch! Missed that!

Contact the embassy or consulate and they should be able to give you a number to call for those answers - if they can't give them to you straight up! The number they give you should either be toll-free or collect to Canada (they pay).

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

A 88 day wait for the Canadian Gov and a 9 month wait for the Phils .

• 3 weeks later...
ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Found out good news (a while back) that Canada recognizes "dual-intent," so that my wife can apply for a different visa while the permanent residency is being processed.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Everybody I had contact with when I brought my ex from Taiwan was very helpful with information and offering the best way to do things

Was your Taiwanese ex much younger than you. I find Canadian officials to be very age prejudiced and not helpful after saying: Oh, she seems very young" Which is very subjective and prejudicial. They would NEVER get away with saying: Oh, she seems very 'brown', or 'asian', or 'handicapped' etc. But age discrimination is alive and well in Canada. Or am I wrong?

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Everybody I had contact with when I brought my ex from Taiwan was very helpful with information and offering the best way to do things

Was your Taiwanese ex much younger than you. I find Canadian officials to be very age prejudiced and not helpful after saying: Oh, she seems very young" Which is very subjective and prejudicial. They would NEVER get away with saying: Oh, she seems very 'brown', or 'asian', or 'handicapped' etc. But age discrimination is alive and well in Canada. Or am I wrong?

I think it's more where in Ontario you are... We had great service in Hamilton and then in Niagara when we moved there for a year. As for our ages? When she came over, I was 49 and she was 33. Though I don't look my age, she had what she called the "Asian Curse" of looking like she was a teen. Going out to a bar was hell compared to Canadian Immigration!

i am bob
Posted
Posted

For anyone who wanted to immigrate to Canada a couple years ago and had issues, both country and professional eligibility have changed. When my ex came to Canada, she needed a sponsor as she did not qualify under either nationality or profession. Before she got her Maple Leaf card, she qualified by herself under both catagories.