So Much Doom And Gloom!

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Oh dear, just lately I feel we have some Doom and Gloom creeping into our topics and posts. If it is not Divorce, murder or cost of Beef it is moaning about the Bad administration of the Government or even Brownouts or High Taxes, Whether it be the US/UK or anywhere else, Welcome to the real World. We chose it, so we must live in it.

Here today, I just want to tell you how my Lilmo (Littler Monster) saved us 45.000p per Year Minimum.

I wrote a Topic about KUMON aided learning, for those that can remember or read it, I paid and she continued to attend. End Result was that she Passed an Entrance Exam to a Science High School her in Dumaguete and we are sure this Kumon helped her sort out the maths.

We had little faith in the main stream High Schools and we would have sent her private to obtain a reasonable level of High School Education.

So for me :cheersty: I raise my Glass to our Little lady,

At least now I can afford those better cuts of beef, when we need to pamper ourselves a little.

I don't have Rose coloured Glasses on, Life is not a bed of roses, it is just that sometimes little things happen, that can make all the Moanable things disappear for a while.

Tomorrow is always another day and for me, looking on the bright side of life is far better than getting depressed about things we have no Control over.

Jack P. :)

Although, I try to entertain the members of this forum with my corny jokes, I guess being an old goat

like me tends to bitch and moan a lot these days. Good thing I'm still able to find stress relief on the

the tennis court. Otherwise, Boss Man (Tiny Tim, Jollygoodfellow) would have fired me a long time

ago.......he, he.

By the way, I took the liberty of researching what is KUMON. Here is an excerpt from their website:

The instructional method Toru Kumon created was so successful that his son Takeshi was solving

calculus problems by the time he was in the sixth grade.

I've heard about those entrance exams in private schools in PI. Most of them are really torturous.

Congrats Jack P!!

Edited by Jake
  • Like 2

volstateguy
Posted
Posted

Well said Jack.

If you continue to focus on only the negative you will never be able to enjoy life. Once I'm retired and living in the Philippines I wanna enjoy life.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Well said Jack.

If you continue to focus on only the negative you will never be able to enjoy life. Once I'm retired and living in the Philippines I wanna enjoy life.

Human nature will make all of us complain about something or be negative at times, no one can tell me that something negative is not going on in their head. This thread is an example in that context, title says doom and gloom then a reference (complaint) to all the negative posts.

Sure I would love to hear all the positive things that's going on but also want or need to know of the negative such as dangers or rip offs or perhaps even changes to the law which might affect me.

In the perfect world which I don't feel any of us have found yet, we would all join hands and sing and cheer but in the real world shit happens and some days are diamonds and some days are stones.

When You asked how I've been here without you

I'd like to say I've been fine and I do.

But we both know the truth is hard to come by

And if I told the truth, that's not quite true

Some days are diamonds some days are stones

Sometimes the hard times won't leave me alone

Sometimes a cold wind blows a chill in my bones

Some days are diamonds some days are stones.

Now the face that I see in my mirror

More and more is a stranger to me

More and more I can see there's a danger

In becoming what I never thought I'd be

:nudie: :6: :whistling: :chickendance: :999:

• Like 5

volstateguy
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well said Jack.

Human nature will make all of us complain about something or be negative at times, no one can tell me that something negative is not going on in their head. This thread is an example in that context, title says doom and gloom then a reference (complaint) to all the negative posts.

Sure I would love to hear all the positive things that's going on but also want or need to know of the negative such as dangers or rip offs or perhaps even changes to the law which might affect me.

In the perfect world which I don't feel any of us have found yet, we would all join hands and sing and cheer but in the real world sh&t happens and some days are diamonds and some days are stones.

When You asked how I've been here without you

I'd like to say I've been fine and I do.

But we both know the truth is hard to come by

And if I told the truth, that's not quite true

Now the face that I see in my mirror

More and more is a stranger to me

More and more I can see there's a danger

In becoming what I never thought I'd be

:nudie: :6: :whistling: :chickendance: :999:

No doubt, we need to hear about the bad out there so we can be aware of it, and if possible avoid it. Sure things piss me off or aggravate me from time to time. Overall though, I would say I'm an optimist though and I try my best not to focus on the negative.

Edited by volstateguy
  • Like 2

jode
Posted
Posted (edited)

I had decided not to respond to the Jack's post bemoaning what he called doom and gloom posts. Others have responded and expressed my feelings on the matter. Then when going over old posts from before i got involved with the forum and WOW Mr. Lee on Dec11 last year really said it all I feel on that topic. I hope it is ok to cut and paste from another post I don't know how to post a link to it. I just included the part from the longer post that i think best pertains to the subject at hand.

from Mr. Lee

osted 12 December 2011 - 12:22 PM

snapback.pngCurley, on 12 December 2011 - 05:41 AM, said: (I must say that there do seem to be a lot of negative, safety, rights and other scary posts on here, I sometimes wonder whether I'm doing the right thing to move to the Philippines, I belong to a couple of Thailand forums (more Aussies and Brits)and Thailand has the same issues as the Philippines yet the forums are very positive about living in Thailand despite the visa hassles etc.)

This world is made up of people with a lots of different thought trends, so we all have different wants and needs. Some people might rather not know that they can be scammed, robbed or murdered and that very likely could have been the attitude of some people who may have ended up having those very things happen to them, because they wanted to see the world via rose colored glasses, or just did not wish to educate themselves, so therefore did not know what might be in store for them. Not knowing something can get a person into trouble or maybe even killed if not prepared, but since that seems to be the way some feel and have continually vocally expressed those feelings, that was yet another reason I stopped being an admin on here, because it was impossible to keep everyone happy and rather than a member not read a topic that might go against that persons grain, they are the ones who continually complain instead of posting the positive things they apparently see daily................................... I believe a forum needs to be balanced but in order to be balanced, those members who complain the most about negative posts should try their best to offset those negative posts with positive posts about the Philippines, that is if they can find positive things to post about, but IMO reality will eventually set in that the Philippines is what it is, and rose colored glasses will not change that for those of us who have their/our eyes wide open.For some the Philippines will be a paradise, and for others it will be a hell, and for others everywhere in between and to some it is just a place to escape to. To tell you all the truth, I find it to be an in between, if it were not for my wife who is Filipino, after 17 plus years of seeing little improvement and much more uncontrolled crime against expats and richer Filipinos all the time in the Philippines, I would not even bother going there anymore if it were not for my wife, but keeping her happy is of the utmost importance to me, so that is why we go back and forth. Now what do I mean by uncontrolled crime, when was the last time you read about someone being caught and punished for killing an expat. When was the last time you read about someone being caught and punished for robbing or burglarizing anyone of means. Crime is out of control because we and the rich are thought of as nothing more than cash cows and there is little if any sympathy when we or the rich are victims, unless they/we are connected. There will always be those who have no choice but to live in the Philippines because they will be living on a small pension, or social security, or those who have a dream to start up a business that might not be available to them in their own country, the Philippines might offer a great opportunity to live a smaller, simpler life for less. In my mind and opinion, if it were not for the women, the Philippines would not have many visitors, and few expats wishing to live there, so for those who can afford life elsewhere as I can, I see no point in living full time in the Philippines. JMHO.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Personally I am less concerned with the crime aspect (probably untill i get knocked in the head or worse in one of my wanderings here). From what I have seen Philippines is safer than most places back home.

We all have our wonderfull ladies and that is the best part of the Philippines. But we need to be aware of the negative as well. It shouldn't debilitate us with anxiety knowing those things, if we are a man with a normal ammount of courage. Instead it will just prepare us for what we may encounter.

Bury us with positives if you can also,everyone wants to here about them.

Many forums have the main underlying purpose of selling books about moving to the philippines, so they reject the realistic experiences and opinions of those that have been there.

i have been banned from one of those forums because the person trying to sell books wanted all happy and positive. That might be a good forum for those for whom realistic appraisals bring too much anxiety.

Edited by jode

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:) :cheersty: Right wrong, negative or positive, life will continue with or without me, just felt the need to air a view and spread a little good item for a change, maybe I am just a happy guy, long time down, on the Up again and still think life is good

Of course there will always be the Negative along with the Positive. Like the Poles, they attract each other. To me, It is how we interpret them and how we deal with them, that makes the difference.

Anyway, nice to see some different views posted. (That is what I do like about this forum. Honesty)

Jack P. :tiphat:

• Like 5

Curley
Posted
Posted

Well said Jack.

Why not also really enjoy the couple of years you have before the Philippines?

• Like 1

volstateguy
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well said Jack.

Why not also really enjoy the couple of years you have before the Philippines?

I am enjoying my last couple of years here in the states. I'm spending time with family while I live relatively close. I'm riding my motorcycles as much as I can and getting some of the places I want to ride to checked off my bucket list....key west earlier this month, Sturgis Rally in August, and I'm planning a ride to Newfoundland next year.

Being retired living in the Philippines will be a new level of enjoyment though. No more stress or pressure that comes from life in the military. No more alarm clock. I will be able to do what I want, when I want. I look forward to a simple, relatively stress free life, when my biggest decision of the day is what's for dinner and do I want a cold san miguel or cold san miguel light. :lol:

Edited by volstateguy
  • Like 3

billten
Posted
Posted
that she Passed an Entrance Exam to a Science High School her in Dumaguete

That is really great Jack, congrats. One warning, as the school years go on and your daughter get older, never lose sight of her GPA. At Science High they expect you to maintain high grades year in and year out. I have two friends who managed to get a son into Science High. He did great for a couple of years and then as puberty wore on he started being more interested in girls than schoolwork. The school gave them one warning about his grades slipping and then bam! out ya go... They were merciless, kicked his butt out and he had to drop back into a crappy local high school.

• Like 2