So Much Doom And Gloom!

jode
Posted
Posted (edited)
I am enjoying my last couple of years here in the states. I'm spending time with family while I live relatively close. I'm riding my motorcycles as much as I can and getting some of the places I want to ride to checked off my bucket list....key west earlier this month, Sturgis Rally in August, and I'm planning a ride to Newfoundland next year.

Here on Mactan (close to cebu) there is a motorcycle club. They call themselves the "Outsiders". They have a clubhouse which is owned and operated by a german Guy (forget his name).

The club president lives in my subdivision and is a really nice friendly, guy originally from Pennsylvania. He welcomed me to join and said you don't even have to ride (as I don't) to be a member.

They have social gatherings and do rides and boat trips and other things together.

I have been to their clubhouse once about a year ago. It has a restaraunt and rents rooms and has a pool. When i was there, there were about 20 guys (westerners of various nationalities) playing poker at about three differant tables. They were playing host to a German motor cycle club who were visiting and looked like what people think of as bikers in states, big guys in leather ect. Everybody welcoming and friendly, many differant types of bikes outside including a few big Harleys. I don't know where they would ever find a stretch of rode to open their big machines up here on Cebu.

Edited by jode
  • Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted

Well said Jack.

If you continue to focus on only the negative you will never be able to enjoy life. Once I'm retired and living in the Philippines I wanna enjoy life.

Why not also really enjoy the couple of years you have before the Philippines?

I am enjoying my last couple of years here in the states. I'm spending time with family while I live relatively close. I'm riding my motorcycles as much as I can and getting some of the places I want to ride to checked off my bucket list....key west earlier this month, Sturgis Rally in August, and I'm planning a ride to Newfoundland next year.

Being retired living in the Philippines will be a new level of enjoyment though. No more stress or pressure that comes from life in the military. No more alarm clock. I will be able to do what I want, when I want. I look forward to a simple, relatively stress free life, when my biggest decision of the day is what's for dinner and do I want a cold san miguel or cold san miguel light. :lol:

Hey Brett,

Love your motto: FOUR WHEELS MOVE YOUR BODY, TWO WHEELS MOVE YOUR SOUL!

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
that she Passed an Entrance Exam to a Science High School her in Dumaguete

That is really great Jack, congrats. One warning, as the school years go on and your daughter get older, never lose sight of her GPA. At Science High they expect you to maintain high grades year in and year out. I have two friends who managed to get a son into Science High. He did great for a couple of years and then as puberty wore on he started being more interested in girls than schoolwork. The school gave them one warning about his grades slipping and then bam! out ya go... They were merciless, kicked his butt out and he had to drop back into a crappy local high school.

:tiphat: Thank you my friend for this Insight, I spoke to my Lilmo this morning and told her about this, she tells me that she is aware of the Grading System and said, we had this at WCES (her elementary School)

We can't stop them Growing up, just advise them as they go along day bye day.

She has done her best, she got there and now, as I have said to her, Your high School Future is down to you, to maintain this momentum.

She assures me that "BOYS" are not in the frame, not yet I said.

We will see,

Thinking about it, I am glad I am ready to retire, don't think I would want to be a Teenager again. seems like a hard a job to me Now.

Jack P. :)

• Like 2

jode
Posted
Posted (edited)

Email

Print

... .

HERE IS A POSITIVE STORY ABOUT THE PHILIPPINES - ALTHOUGH THE TIME FRAME MAY GIVE YOU AN IDEA ABOUT THE SPEED IN WHICH JUSTICE SYSTEM WORKS

The Philippine government on Tuesday auctioned off a prime property once owned by the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos for more than $2 million.

The 3,900-square-metre (41,000-square-foot) lot in the mountain resort city of Baguio was acquired by a real estate firm for 93 million pesos ($2.16 million), said Nick Suarez, of the Presidential Commission on Good Government.

"It was a very successful, transparent bidding," and the final price was more than three times the minimum bid, added Suarez, whose agency is tasked with recovering the ill-gotten wealth of Marcos.

However another Marcos property, a 4,000-square-metre lot on Manila bay with a minimum price of 278.6 million pesos, failed to sell after no bidders showed up, he said.

Both properties were surrendered to the government by Marcos crony Jose Yao Campos in 1986 in exchange for immunity after a popular revolt toppled the regime earlier that year.

Marcos ruled the Philippines from 1965 to 1986, much of the time as a dictator. His family and their henchmen are accused of stealing billions of dollars in state funds during this period.

While Marcos and his family fled abroad after his downfall, some of his key allies surrendered assets they were holding for the ex-president as part of settlements with the new government.

Although Marcos died in exile in 1989, his family has since returned to the Philippines. His widow Imelda and their son, also named Ferdinand, were elected to parliament in 2010.

It is not the first time the commission has sold off assets recovered from the Marcoses and their cronies, with the funds raised previously used for land reform.

In October, a lot in an upper-class enclave of Manila also surrendered by Campos was sold for 127 million pesos.

The commission said that at least 93.4 billion pesos have been recovered from the Marcoses and their allies so far. But it has long complained that the lack of a paper trail and delaying tactics by lawyers for the Marcos estate have hampered its efforts.

Edited by jode

volstateguy
Posted
Posted

Well said Jack.

If you continue to focus on only the negative you will never be able to enjoy life. Once I'm retired and living in the Philippines I wanna enjoy life.

Why not also really enjoy the couple of years you have before the Philippines?

Being retired living in the Philippines will be a new level of enjoyment though. No more stress or pressure that comes from life in the military. No more alarm clock. I will be able to do what I want, when I want. I look forward to a simple, relatively stress free life, when my biggest decision of the day is what's for dinner and do I want a cold san miguel or cold san miguel light. :lol:

Hey Brett,

Love your motto: FOUR WHEELS MOVE YOUR BODY, TWO WHEELS MOVE YOUR SOUL!

Thanks Jake! Theres really nothing I enjoy more than riding. Jumping on my bike and going for a ride has helped me through some difficult times.

• Like 1

volstateguy
Posted
Posted

Here on Mactan (close to cebu) there is a motorcycle club. They call themselves the "Outsiders". They have a clubhouse which is owned and operated by a german Guy (forget his name).

The club president lives in my subdivision and is a really nice friendly, guy originally from Pennsylvania. He welcomed me to join and said you don't even have to ride (as I don't) to be a member.

They have social gatherings and do rides and boat trips and other things together.

I have been to their clubhouse once about a year ago. It has a restaraunt and rents rooms and has a pool. When i was there, there were about 20 guys (westerners of various nationalities) playing poker at about three differant tables. They were playing host to a German motor cycle club who were visiting and looked like what people think of as bikers in states, big guys in leather ect. Everybody welcoming and friendly, many differant types of bikes outside including a few big Harleys. I don't know where they would ever find a stretch of rode to open their big machines up here on Cebu.

Thanks for the info. That's something to think about. As much as I love Harleys, I'm not sure I would want to ride one in the Philippines with the heat and crazy traffic.

• Like 1

jode
Posted
Posted

Just watched a couple episodes of a great Frontline Tv show on my computer. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/money-power-wall-street/ . It is a series explaining the financial meltdown that almost brought down the world economy. Not for those who want quick easy answers to problems, or events but if u have a few hours and are curious as to the reasons why life as we know it almost ended. They do a very good job giving a explanation and scenario of the events that a layman can understand.

It streamed quite smoothly on my computer here in Philippines and I don't have so great a connection. On full screen mode was like watching the show live in US.

I include it here because the underlying mood of the country and the people involved was one of denying the possible downside of what they were doing. In other words of staying positive always no matter what. Hey its all good right? Don't worry be happy. Stay positive always. Thats a great philisophy for personal popularity but when the reality you fled from hits home it is not good. That philisophy and greed almost brought it all down for us. kinda related to this topic so maybe ok to post here. Would be a good thing for everyone to know.

• Like 1