Our Journey Home To Cebu

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Hi

If you don`t want to spend all that time in the airport you could pop over to Hong Kong island for a few hours. You can store your bags at the airport and get a train. You could have a quick look around and go back it is not that expensive to get to the island. I know that you get there late in the evening but this could kill a few hours for you. I have an address of a bar there which does food and the managers wife is Philippino. I go there quite often when I use Cathay Pacific and I have no problems at immigration. If you would like the address and phone number you can pm me.

Safe journey

Kevin

• Like 4

billten
Posted
Posted

Just get here Ron will'ya, i want to borrow your welding machine j/k ;-o

Serioiusly though, the only thing i would add is that even with the long layover you are probably better with the route selected as it is really the most direct. Other routes often have less layover but you are in the air a lot longer.

There is a VERY nice lounge in HKG, one that, for a fee, includes a shower and sauna. If you can afford it, taking a shower and change really makes a huge difference.

• Like 3

Will
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the detailed info. I hope to be making the trip (one way!) with the asawa and our little anak before the end of the year. Please keep us posted on your journey. Also, that bar that serves food in HK and the shower and sauna SURE sound like a nice break after a loooooong flight. I sure might be interested in getting those locations before we go. :)

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Ron, have you ever given us a post that wasn't a great help?

Keep them coming sir! Keep them coming!

And before I forget... The sooner you are back, the sooner I can read more of your blogs on building your new home!!!

:AddEmoticons04230:

• Like 1

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted
Just get here Ron will'ya

I know man, seems like this last couple months has been taking for freaking ever.... let's see, 50 days til the end of my Boeing contract and 69 until we meet up with you guys in Cebu....but who's counting?

:cheers:

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted

Ron, have you ever given us a post that wasn't a great help?

Keep them coming sir! Keep them coming!

And before I forget... The sooner you are back, the sooner I can read more of your blogs on building your new home!!!

:AddEmoticons04230:

Thanks Bob, we appreciate that the posts are useful. Lots more to share.... just remember, there are many of us that are anxious to hear from you when you hit the ground later in the year. I remember my first time here and all the experiences good and bad... so hopefully for you, most of them are good!!! :cheersty: Remember though, even the less than good experiences keep you on your toes... :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 1

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted
There is a VERY nice lounge in HKG, one that, for a fee, includes a shower and sauna. If you can afford it, taking a shower and change really makes a huge difference.
the shower and sauna SURE sound like a nice break after a loooooong flight

Hey, I tried, I really tried, but my asawa BEGGED me to not spend 300usd for 10 hours at the lounge... and what I learned that helped me to yield to her was when I talked to the lounge receptionist, she mentioned that from 9:00pm to 9:00am, they only have light snacks, so no buffet, they only serve basic soft drinks, no bar and they limit your access to the showers so that cleaning can occur...... so, for the same fees as the primo full services, you get far less value on the overnight 10 hour block... we may still sneak in a 4 hour block if I can talk her into it.... i feel guilty going in there by myself.. .I mean, I will go, but there will be guilt involved... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: No, not really.. we are a team! I like the HK idea and PM'd Sonjack for the info. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
the shower and sauna SURE sound like a nice break after a loooooong flight

Hey, I tried, I really tried, but my asawa BEGGED me to not spend 300usd for 10 hours at the lounge... and what I learned that helped me to yield to her was when I talked to the lounge receptionist, she mentioned that from 9:00pm to 9:00am, they only have light snacks, so no buffet, they only serve basic soft drinks, no bar and they limit your access to the showers so that cleaning can occur...... so, for the same fees as the primo full services, you get far less value on the overnight 10 hour block... we may still sneak in a 4 hour block if I can talk her into it.... i feel guilty going in there by myself.. .I mean, I will go, but there will be guilt involved... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: No, not really.. we are a team! I like the HK idea and PM'd Sonjack for the info. :thumbsup:

For that price you would be better off finding a cheap hotel for a couple hours of nap time and drip drip after!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info! I'm surprised the lounge is so expensive. In Taipei you can get a room with bed and shower for 4 hours for a bit over $30, which is nice for a long layover.

We have flown Cathay in the past and they DO check to see that the credit card used for purchase is presented at check-in. (2 out of 2 times in the past).

Next Thursday, after politely informing the agent at the Chicago Cathay Pacific office not to take it personally, they are going to get an earful from me on this stupid policy! I am going to Chicago 3 days early before my girlfriend arrives, to show them my credit card!