Our Journey Home To Cebu

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Ron, have you ever given us a post that wasn't a great help?

Keep them coming sir! Keep them coming!

And before I forget... The sooner you are back, the sooner I can read more of your blogs on building your new home!!!

:AddEmoticons04230:

Thanks Bob, we appreciate that the posts are useful. Lots more to share.... just remember, there are many of us that are anxious to hear from you when you hit the ground later in the year. I remember my first time here and all the experiences good and bad... so hopefully for you, most of them are good!!! :cheersty: Remember though, even the less than good experiences keep you on your toes... :hystery: :hystery:

I have decided that I will keep a journal beginning once I decide a date for the move... and I"ll be dropping bits on here as I write them so you will all know the fun I have from the beginning to after I get my boots on the ground again and settled in somewhere...

Less than good experiences? Isn't that another name for "I can laugh about it now" memories?

:mocking:

• Like 1

jode
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have made the trip from Chicago to Cebu 8 times now. After experienceing a 13 hour layover in Seoul one time, long layovers are none starter option thing for me (although I did take a 5 hour city tour during it, which was interesting and asiana has a very nice large lounge at Seoul airport).. Most trips after that were 22 to 24 hours complete including layovers.

I know airline pricing is something ever-changable and hard to figure out. You may sit next to someone who paid twice or half of what you did for their ticket. I think it used to be considered common wisdom to buy your ticket as far in advanced as possible for best price. I don't think that applies anymore and have heard an expert on TV say the same thing. He said and I have found that around 30 days in advance may get you best price, maybe even less than that. At 30 days airlines start to be able to figure if a flight will sell out or not and reduce prices if it looks like it won't. Of course being somewhat flexible with dates is important. Same flight a few days apart and differance in price may be hundreds of dollars.

Last December I had to fly back to chicago from cebu because of a family emergency, and got a one way ticket on 3 days notice before flight, for slightly less than you are paying and for a 23 hr total trip. That doesn't mean you didn't get a good deal though as they raised their prices after that because of increased fuel costs.

When I came back to Cebu in mid-febuary I tried the cathay -pacific to Hong Kong and then to manila route as the price was just too good to pass up after weeks of checking various options and flexible dates. I got a round-trip ticket from chicago to manila on a 20 1/2 hr total trip flights for $1050, and I bought the ticket on three weeks notice before flight.Only a 3 hr layover in HK.

I arrived in Manila at midnight but was picked up no charge by air-port shuttle from Rodgers Hotel. They are only 5-10 minutes from the terminal. The rooms are only about 900 pesos and are clean and quiet, with CR wi-fi, but rooms ridiculously small. Then after good nights sleep and free basic breakfast took their free shuttle for the 10 minute ride to domestic terminal for my $100, 70 minute flight to Cebu. The shuttle drivers and hotel staff did most of the luggage moving. Arrived in Cebu at about 3pm.

The online travel sites are so easy to use and so easy to check often over a period of time plugging in differant options for the best deal. When you spot that great price on a good flight option jump on it as it may change quickly. I have used Orbitz, Priceline, and lately mostly Expedia. I like the way they include all charges (taxes, fees) in their stated price. Of course Agoda is the best for hotel reservations.

Edited by jode
  • Like 1

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted
they are going to get an earful from me on this stupid policy! I am going to Chicago 3 days early before my girlfriend arrives, to show them my credit card!

Ohhh, you are that guy... yes, I would if I were you also... So inconvenient for your situation... I would be interested to hear how that went.. .ask them what would happen if you had not done all that extra work.... :23_11_62[1]:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
they are going to get an earful from me on this stupid policy! I am going to Chicago 3 days early before my girlfriend arrives, to show them my credit card!

Ohhh, you are that guy... yes, I would if I were you also... So inconvenient for your situation... I would be interested to hear how that went.. .ask them what would happen if you had not done all that extra work.... :23_11_62[1]:

Well, I know what would happen if I didn't go. They were very clear about that. In Manila, my girlfriend would have to either A. Pay cash (over 50,000 P) at the airport and then they refund my credit card or B. Pay with a different credit card at the airport and then they will refund my credit card or C. Be denied boarding. None of those are options as I am getting the ticket for free if I use my credit card.

I'm not going to go crazy on a agent who has no control over a company policy. I just want to get the message across that they have a very unhappy customer due to the policy, and their airline will be avoided when other options are available. I would hope that employees push this upward to management. When I spoke to an agent on phone I had the feeling that he agreed it is a ridiculous policy, but his hands were tied. I will follow with a letter to the company.

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Thanks again for the details! On a side note, everything actually worked out well because my nephew lives in Chicago so I will stay at his house for a few days, and then he booked us into a 5 star downtown Chicago hotel for 3 nights as a gift! He travels like crazy and has airline miles and hotel points coming out his ears. We are looking forward to our vacation in Chicago.

• Like 2

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

Dzighnman,

Great info. Your post did get me a little depressed since I am sitting here at work wondering when the wife and I can follow in your footsteps. It's a terrible time to try and sell a house. We are glad others are able to make the pilgrimage home and we know eventually our time will come.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Well done Ron! :540: :cheersty:

I'll get off my butt and call you this week! Ann and the boys will arrive the same day I think. I may go a few days later if my Dads health allows.

• Like 1

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted
It's a terrible time to try and sell a house.

Sad but true, and we bit the bullet and sold in 2010, despite the incredible loss of profit.... timing never seems to be on my side. :unsure: On the bright side, it is not likely to get worse..... is it? :rolleyes:

Higg-num
Posted
Posted

I'm so freaking lost it is pitiful. I'm free except for the logistics. Cheapest ticket thus far is almost 3000 USD ( Round trip ) My home owners will NOT cover my contents over 90 days & premiums go way up.

I wished I could find a " reasonable " professional logistics manager. :bash:

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted
It's a terrible time to try and sell a house.

Sad but true, and we bit the bullet and sold in 2010, despite the incredible loss of profit.... timing never seems to be on my side. :unsure: On the bright side, it is not likely to get worse..... is it? :rolleyes:

Well since 2010, housing prices here have dropped another 15%. I should have sold then and moved. Oh well.

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

I have found searching for lights threw trip advisors site gives the best deals last couple trips My last one was 1000 from vancouver to cebu return